Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
What is the plug in to get AIR UI to work with most other apps?

This is yet another case of Nokia having an idea years ago that was never fully developed but that Samsung puts on a flagship device today.
I saw that in MeeCatalog most probably. It's named AirUI plugin

The Following User Says Thank You to bibek For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
Hw is always improving, I do like the ir port come back, shame n9 dropped it, but I cannot understand 1080 HD display on 5" screen, even on 720 HD pixel density was more than human eye can see, what improvement 440+ pixel density will bring?
Just you wait!
In 2 more years we might see 4K (aka UHD) on 4.7in devices

I'm flattered

I cannot understand your point, do you mean that in two years time my naked eyes will be capable to see more than 300 dpi? Or the mob screen will be 13" by then?

Last edited by pagis; 2013-03-16 at 09:41.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
I cannot understand your point, do you mean that in two years time my naked eyes will be capable to see more than 300 dpi? Or the mob screen will be 32" by then?
No because its relatively easier to increase screen resolution on mobile screens at a much cheaper cost than on televisions/monitors.

Coupled with lack of differentiation, screen resolution is taken as the easy factor to push people to upgrade...

Indeed it's a very good selling point

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
The Galaxy S3 and Note 2 run enough rings around any iPhone. Heck my GS2 and Note run rings around the i4s in my house.

If just smooth and fast are used as barometers, there is really no difference because after a point you can't see which is faster.
As i stated above smoothness and speed makes ios better in user experience. and it does make difference when you use both operating systems at the same time for long terms. Most people prefer ios over android because its simply slaphappier than android. Also idevices have a way better screen in than any android device in my opinion because it has high refresh rates and that makes the ui transitions, scrolling etc. very very solid. i also stated this before and hope that jolla uses similar screens.

If you speak about jail-breaking an iPhone and rooting and Android device than the Android will always come out tops simply because along with the increased customizations you have larger screens that allow you to do more.

On both my S2 and Note I use multi-window, although it isn't too useful on the S2, its very nice on the Note with the larger screen. The iPad has something similar once you jailbreak it but the iPhone's smaller screen means its pretty useless to do any windowing on it.
i don't agree this im sorry. how does android get better in personalization? The only place where android gets on top is that overclocking the device is easier and you can build custom roms and kernels which is unnecessary with those monster spec devices in my opinion.
just get your iphone 4s and type springtomize to the cydia search bar if you have jailbroken it and take a tour in that app and see which parts that you can change on the phone only with that. jailbreaking definitely levels the competition.
just giving examples here:
You dont think there's enough options when you long press a file? install action menu.
you're annoyed by in game purchasing? install iappcracker.
you want to customize you're keyboard but ios doesn't have it? install color keyboard.
you're bored of the lame homescreen transitions? install barrel.
you want to add toggles on your notification center? try sb settings or nc settings.
you want to have ipad/n9 like gestures? install zephyr.
the list goes on...
so if your concern is bigger screens then you should use android but it doesn't make them any better in personalization. it's a personal choice and i respect that. for me, screens that are bigger than 4.3" are unneeded unless you're using a tablet. ios maybe lame without jailbreak yes (can't use it without jb) but i will argue all the times that it will become better in most aspects after jailbreaking it.
you can even turn the ipod touch into a phone with the help of jailbreak.
also they have custom themes and launchers via springboard and other apps.

The app gap is almost non-existent these days on Android; the last game I remember that made it big and launched on iOS without any Android plans was Temple Run. That too was quite a rare occurrence.
i never mentioned about the apps/games and i hate to compete os's by the amount of them but if this is the point, android has more apps and games than ios at the moment. but what about the qualities of them? we always make fun of how the apps are fart apps and lame but today they even have high quality fart apps unlike android. and by the way, they found a new way of installing paid apps free without jailbreaking the device. i think credits goes to the chinese jailbreak community 25PP.
one more addition: try real racing 3 on the iphone 3gs or iphone 4 and then try it on a similar spec android device.
Android has its many flaws too, no doubt about that, but choosing between an Android device and iPhone its always wiser to go for the Android unless the user is really a fanboy or not interested to tinker even a bit with the Android device.
no. it's not always wiser to go for android unless you don't want to go mad with all the crashes and bugs or you just want to feel like a power user. also, it's not always a wise choice to buy an iphone if you don't know what to do with it. or you are too much prejudiced to say that how ios is just closed, lame and iphone screens are too small.
you are using an n9 right? and saying that android is better than ios? really??? as far as i know the n9's os is also tight in most parts and the screen is 4". it's pretty much an iphone'ish device. how can you tolerate your n9 then? how did you used the small screened symbian devices?

The sales of S3 and Note show that many mass-market users who know not much are going for the larger, more functional and better-looking screens instead of the same old iPhone. Also let's not forget the micro-SD and replaceable batteries
well, same old iphone is still selling even if they failed with the maps and the removal of some core apps.
same point. you are using an n9 and complaining about how the battery is unchangable and the lack of memory card on the idevices? isn't that ironic? i have never changed any of my phone's battery yet. how do people manage to kill a battery that fast? if you need more memory you can simply buy the high memory versions of those devices which samsung gives that option to the customer also. also n9 has the 64 gb version which is the one im using.
i have an ipod touch 4 and an n9 for my daily usage and im ok with both of it. i dont need an extreme android device to fill the spec and feature gap because simply they both have the capability of what android achieves. i would prefer symbian. and i'm making these comments based on my experience with both operating systems as a user. so far, ios is doing good in the competition with just 3 or 4 devices facing dozens of low and high end android devices if you ask me.
im not trying to convince anyone. if you're fine with android, you're fine. it's not my concern.

anyway back to topic.
the device is not innovative for me but it will probabbly sell just like galaxy s3 or maybe more. this is because samsung has increased it's brand awareness just as much as apple (imo it's becoming apple'ish) and normal users will buy it just because it's brand is samsung. they will probably use this awareness with selling their new tizen devices and they will sell well also. marketing rules. :/

by the way i want to ask again. it has been told that the device will come to the US with snapdragon 600 chipset. does this mean they won't ship the exynos 5 version to the US? does anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by Artyom; 2013-03-16 at 11:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to Artyom For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Artyom,

My statement was how my Android devices are faster/smoother whatever than the i4s in my house. I said after a point it doesn't matter because in some cases one device would be faster and in others the other. Now how you got this to mean the iphone is faster i don't know.

The rest of your issues I can just put it into one sentence "You have no clue of what you can do on an Android device because you haven't used one for an extended period of time".

You ask me how I "tolerate" my N9? Heck, I use multiple gadgets so must I choose which ones to tolerate? I love the N9 doesn't mean I don't know how to recognize other devices and what they can do for me or allow my techy side to use more than 1 or 2 devices.

Your whole post is like a promotion post done by regular iSheep so I won't even bother explaining things to you. Remember your post was asking me to explain to you because you supposedly wanted to learn.

You want to get on topic? There are rumours albeit very strong ones about the Snapdragon going into US market instead of the Exyons chipset mainly due to the availability and spectrum bands differences. Remember the S3 had something similar too with the S4 Dual-core and Exyons quad-core?

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Artyom,

My statement was how my Android devices are faster/smoother whatever than the i4s in my house. I said after a point it doesn't matter because in some cases one device would be faster and in others the other. Now how you got this to mean the iphone is faster i don't know.

The rest of your issues I can just put it into one sentence "You have no clue of what you can do on an Android device because you haven't used one for an extended period of time".

You ask me how I "tolerate" my N9? Heck, I use multiple gadgets so must I choose which ones to tolerate? I love the N9 doesn't mean I don't know how to recognize other devices and what they can do for me or allow my techy side to use more than 1 or 2 devices.

Your whole post is like a promotion post done by regular iSheep so I won't even bother explaining things to you. Remember your post was asking me to explain to you because you supposedly wanted to learn.

You want to get on topic? There are rumours albeit very strong ones about the Snapdragon going into US market instead of the Exyons chipset mainly due to the availability and spectrum bands differences. Remember the S3 had something similar too with the S4 Dual-core and Exyons quad-core?
if your android devices are faster and smoother than your iphone i would like to see a proof of it. especially for the "smooth" part.

really? i don't have any clue? same goes for you then cause you simply don't have any idea of what a jailbroken device is capable of.

if im the "isheep" how come i preffered an n9 over iphone 5 which i could buy one? or how come i never used an idevice rather than an ipod touch? or how come i'm still using symbian devices? please tell me more about how im being an apple fan and you not being a fandroid. yes, using multiple android devices definitely makes a difference.
and please dont explain more cause i'm sure that my explenation is enough for both sides.

by the way, thanks for the reminders, i'll consider buying a exynos 5 version of the sgs4 and learn "more" about android.

"The device isn't innovative to me".

The iPhone 5 bought in a SoC that only matched the competition. It increased the screen size slightly, but also increased the phone. It reinvented nothing, except bring pre-existing innovation from its competitors (ie LTE). That wasn't considered a evolutionary upgrade but a revolutionary one.

The S4 brings in a SoC that decimates the competitors, and what the competitors would hope to bring out in 6 months times. It increased the screen size slightly, while actually making the phone smaller. It reinvented new interactions (Look to Pause, Dual camera, etc etc) and bought in a few pre-exsisting innovations from its competitors (ie Glove Touch, Floating Touch). And people say this is considered as a evolutionary update to the SIII?

--Bias much?

"iOS is smoother than Android"
This is actually a myth.
Lag is caused by 3 factors (Touchscreen, Processor, Software). To solve "Lag Issues" one must tackle the problem at its source: the bottleneck.

You must be asking yourself, with Project Butter on Jelly Bean and a highly powerful Quadcore processor, why does the S4 have any lag?

Well, because the bottleneck has not been solved!

Firstly, the processor.
A 1GHz A8/A7 is powerful enough to churn through gestures quite easily (just see the N9). Making it 8x more powerful in the case of the S4 doesn't achieve anything, really. Its like a sports car with only 2 gears, where the highest gear is limited to a certain rpm (or lets say km/h) adding a turbo charger is not going to make the car go faster because the gear will still be limiting it.

Secondly, the software.
Android had solved a lot of "touchscreen" issues from the 2.x era with the release of 2.3.5
Android 3.0-3.2 were actually Gingerbread with a few custimizations, and it was laggy.
Google only managed to un-do some of the "issues" it created with ICS 4.0.3
...At this stage both Android and iOS were equal in-terms of response times.

So why did iOS "feels snappier" ?
Well iOS has more simpler animations that try to mask the lag. And iOS actually gives highest priority to touch animations, which is why touching the screen has immediate effect but it drastically causes everything else to slow down (eg during Web browsing, Android will seem laggy but it will load contents quicker).

So Google decided to tackle the issue head-on and with Project Butter.
It has imitated iOS by trying to mask the lag with faster and more extensive animations and refresh rates. So as far as the software side is concerned, it isn't the bottleneck anymore.

Thirdly, the Touchscreen sensor.
We don't need to assume it, or deduce it... we actually know it.
Even with impressive software and hardware on the iPhone we still have "perceivable lag". Currently the iPhone 4S, is rated at 80-85ms, has the least lag (faster than the iPhone 5/Nexus 4's in-cell touch sensors). Compared to the Galaxies of 95-100ms (as explained before, the software prioritization affects it slightly).

The Touchscreen Sensor is the source or bottleneck of perceivable lag in these high-tech-high-end devices. We're actually using pretty old tech in these things, and they're rated only as fast as 60ms. Making these things more sensitive to touch would hurt the experience than anything else, as it would make gestures erratic and prone to picking up accidental actions. Throwing more power at these things is also not a solution, as the sensors already suck up a lot of power... it just wouldn't be theesable on a mobile device.

What this means is we need actual improvements within the touch sensor itself, and to make it faster without compromising much. I believe when we hit the 40ms mark, things will be very very sharp.

Forthly, how fast is fast?
The human eye detects changes fractions slower than 1ms, but the sending of this data and processing it slows it down drastically. We're talking between 10ms - 20ms. (note humans don't detect visual data by a fixed rate, but by a response time to movement).
To illustrate this; most professional formula 1 racers have a response time of about 110ms, a human blinks at a speed of 150-200ms. I can remember when such response times were “pretty fast” on computers.

MS Research lab illustrates my point much more conveniently by video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Furthermore, to illustrate:

There is always a delay!

From when you touch the device → make a gesture (tap/swipe) → the touchscreen detects the touch → the touchscreen (does some processing) → and forwards the data (total >60ms)

→ the central processing unit receives the data → it munches through the data sending it through different channels in the software → the central processing unit induces a response (total >10ms)

→ the response goes to the proper destination (ie screen) → user sees the response happening (total >10ms).

(Grand Total >80ms)

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2013-03-16 at 18:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
8-core, s-translator