Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
1 million.

The number of HTC G1 sold in U.S.A by T-Mobile.

Source [In French]

Yet it is equipped with Android, an OS that HTC's competitors can also install on their smartphones.

And this Android, except for some drivers and 4 applications softwares, are FOSS.

These 4 applications softwares proprietary are:
- gMail --> replaceable by a FOSS e-mail client.
- gTalk --> replaceable by a FOSS IM Client.
- Google Map --> require much work, but replaceable by a FOSS Map Software.
- Adroid Market --> replaceable by a package manager (ex: PackageKit) to provide FOSS softwares.

So we can say that the HTC G1 was sold with an OS almost pure FOSS to 1 million copies.

There are exist even "100% FOSS version" of Android.

If HTC can it, Nokia can it.

PS: Some people ask for an example with numbers, it is.
OK, so because you can replace Google Map with something free, you are happy. Now, you can replace Ovi Maps with Maemo Mapper. You can replace the Media Player with one of the many media players from extras/ repository. So what is your problem?

Can you not see Google does not open source these products for a similar reason as Nokia does not, can you actually not see 1) Google is much bigger than Nokia 2) Google earns money on its services and data mining which is much smaller for Nokia whereas Nokia sells end_product / hardware? 3) that the ethical question could be data mining versus closed source software?

The most popular custom Android mod got a cease & desist because it provided these proprietary Google applications while this is not allowed per license since written permission is necessary. If the open source alternatives would be better these proprietary applications would not have been included in the first place.

(Hmm and why does my spell checker accept Google with capital 'G' as word, but Nokia or Maemo with capital 'N' or 'M' not )

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
HTC G1 haven't got this UI.
That thing is not even marketed as HTC device here, but as a T-Mobile device, and the firmware reflects that. It is also a legacy device ie. not flagship anymore.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
OK, so because you can replace Google Map with something free, you are happy. Now, you can replace Ovi Maps with Maemo Mapper. You can replace the Media Player with one of the many media players from extras/ repository. So what is your problem?
And some libraries?
And some elements of the interface?
Et...

And some libraries?
And some elements of the interface?
Et...
Which, what?

Anyway, instead of ranting I think you can better contribute and see why stuff is closed source, what the reasons are, if you can contribute to change the status, and so on. That project has been ongoing for a long time now... see e.g. http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages

Which, what?

Anyway, instead of ranting I think you can better contribute and see why stuff is closed source, what the reasons are, if you can contribute to change the status, and so on. That project has been ongoing for a long time now... see e.g. http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages

The only excuse that does not seem wrong on the link that you gives:
# Third party: Nokia does not own the code and therefore does not decide on the license.
I'm going to wait for the list about what is FOSS and what is not FOSS before deciding if I buy the N900 or not.

but now, when I see the openness of mind of some members of this community, I wonder if I'll participate.

Last edited by korbé; 2009-10-01 at 19:34.

The only excuse that does not seem wrong on the link that you gives:
If by wrong you mean factually incorrect, no.

If by wrong you mean my morals which are not in sync with Nokia commercial interests, yes.

...but we can post whole evening about this and nothing will change, and nobody will get wiser. What you want is based on your zealotry, and unfortunately for you it won't help you getting anything done. Think about it. If Stallman would have acted in your way he'd never have written GNU.

As for you not buying the machine because of this. Unfortunate, but be my guest. I've seen many Linux and FOSS enthusiasts going insane over Nokia N900. Even statements like "most open device on market", etc.

If by wrong you mean factually incorrect, no.

If by wrong you mean my morals which are not in sync with Nokia commercial interests, yes.

...but we can post whole evening about this and nothing will change, and nobody will get wiser. What you want is based on your zealotry, and unfortunately for you it won't help you getting anything done. Think about it. If Stallman would have acted in your way he'd never have written GNU.

As for you not buying the machine because of this. Unfortunate, but be my guest. I've seen many Linux and FOSS enthusiasts going insane over Nokia N900. Even statements like "most open device on market", etc.
This is why I want to join the Open Moko project next year.
But the Neo FreeRunner is an exceed material, then I search a phone / MIT as FOSS as possible.

If you can hack the N900 to install another OS, such as Mer on the N810, this will be a good modern platform to run Open Moko.

Last edited by korbé; 2009-10-01 at 19:44.

Openmoko? LOL. Yeah, they have a fantastic track record...

Unstable connections, changed UI toolkit 3 times, religious wars on ML, no 3G. If I were you I'd wait for Mer on Nokia N900 instead. And instead of posting here help Mer project. Famous last words...

Nothing prevents me for helping MER and Open Moko.
I have time next year.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Compared to the beginning of this thread, I try to be respectful and I bring good examples (with numbers if possible) to substantiate my statements.

Have I got a real debate in return?
Well, I rebated your statement...

And if you want "true" free Android: http://openandroidalliance.com/ , you may want to hang on there too.

Tags
balance, basic rights, defective by design, get your stink on, gpl holy crusade, open source, open source advocacy, sw wants to be free, try to correct an error, why isn't the gpl law?!, zealots be here