Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm EST and it's saying 4:24PM right now. I'm set to English (United Kingdom) (because it *IS* spelled 'colour') and it's fine. My secondary timezone is set to Halifax Nova Scotia. (GMT-4).

Have you adjusted your secondary timezone from GMT 0? Maybe that's where the bug lies.

*** edit: Another thought I just had. Maybe you set the time while the device was still in GMT and then set your locale. That could be why it's ### hours off.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
I'm EST and it's saying 4:24PM right now. I'm set to English (United Kingdom) (because it *IS* spelled 'colour') and it's fine. My secondary timezone is set to Halifax Nova Scotia. (GMT-4).

Have you adjusted your secondary timezone from GMT 0? Maybe that's where the bug lies.

*** edit: Another thought I just had. Maybe you set the time while the device was still in GMT and then set your locale. That could be why it's ### hours off.
My clock got 3 hours off when I went from default home city (London) to New York. Try setting your home city to something in America EST. I am sure your clock will also be off. You also can not check off daylight savings zone.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I tried New York. Nada.

My local settings are:
English (United Kingdom)
Primary : Ottawa Canada (EST)
Secondary: Halifax Canada (AST)

I'm in Toronto.

In the spirit off troubleshooting, try mimicking my settings (reboot after the change for good measure) and see. Maybe English(US) is the culprit based on who's having this problem.

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2006-04-21 at 22:18.

I tried New York. Nada.

My local settings are:
English (United Kingdom)
Primary : Ottawa Canada (EST)
Secondary: Halifax Canada (AST)

I'm in Toronto.

In the spirit off troubleshooting, try mimicking my settings (reboot after the change for good measure) and see. Maybe English(US) is the culprit based on who's having this problem.
I mimicked your settings and I am still 3 hours off. I reflashed the software and put in your settings and my clock was OK. I put back in my settings:

English US
New York Home
London UK Secondary

and the clock is again 3 hours off. It must be the Enlglish US doing it.

Another thing I noticed...When the "home" clock is off, both the home city and secondary city have the same time, no matter which city you pick.

here is a screenshot: http://cassarapage.com/folder/screenshot.jpg

Last edited by troubleshootr; 2006-04-22 at 03:21.

I'm set to English (United Kingdom) (because it *IS* spelled 'colour') and it's fine.
Haha. The only reason mine is set to the UK is because I find that keyboard layout more handy than the US

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Jose
So, everyone's tossing their input in. So here's mine.

The flash upgrade went just fine. I backed up all my settings to the mmc card, took it out. And then flashed the device. It rebooted, went through the settings and Im up and running with no problems. Does Opera seem a little faster? Maybe. Was there a sketch pad before? Guess I never used it or noticed it. The mail client, I'm still not sure about. How-ever I did notice something very cool though. I have mine set to check my mail every 15 mins. And just now I got a new e-mail, and it chimed at me! Again, I'm not sure if it did it before, but I don't think it ever made a noise on new mail arrival before. And yes, the mail does appear to be a little faster. Nothing really significant.

Now, the clock issue. I set my language for English (US), set the time according to my time zone (PST) and so far after two reboots, the time is still correct. Its not 3 hours off or anything like that. So I'm not sure why thats working and it hasen't for anyone else.

Am I glad I upgraded? Sure. I noticed on boot that the kernel version is newer. So I'd assume (hope) that some fixes were put in there. There was also an updated setting for Cingular mMode GPRS (which is what I use). Not that it matters, but that was one less thing I had to type in before I could get online with my phone's internet.

So far....so good....

Who needs time anyway? It isn't important, quit whining ;P.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
Nobody responded to my question, so I figured I'd answer it myself.

For anyone else in the same boat here is what worked for me.

I had the extrootfs applied to use my 1 GB MMC for the root filesystem, and I was using Kontorri's (sp?) theme for better fonts.

I removed the memory card for any instance that the Nokia 770 was attached to my macs USB port.

First I updated the new image from Nokia/maemo.

Then I enabled R&D, did the gainroot thing.

Then I disabled R&D.

Then I installed extrootfs script again and all was restored to the state the 770 was in right before installing the firmware. (obviously, the 770 is utilizing the new firmware image though, extrootfs doesn't change that.

After that was all done I had to recopy Mr. Kontorri's theme_test file to /usr/bin/themes, and all was right with the world.

I'll post some impressions tomorrow.

I have to say, as an aside: Kontorri's theme is SOO much better. I was instantly stunned and horrified at the default theme font sizes after reflashing. I had forgotten how ugly it looks in default mode, I had gotten so used to the new theme. All he has changed is the font size and adding 9 pixels to the top for more app space, but what a difference! Way to go Kontorri, you rule.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
About the clock issue... as mentioned on the maemo developer mailing list all timezone info except for Helsinki are missing in /usr/share/zoneinfo.

To fix it, find a linux box and copy the content of /usr/share/zoneinfo to the device. (root access is needed)

Originally Posted by henry
About the clock issue... as mentioned on the maemo developer mailing list all timezone info except for Helsinki are missing in /usr/share/zoneinfo.

To fix it, find a linux box and copy the content of /usr/share/zoneinfo to the device. (root access is needed)
Well that explains at least some of the 1.67 MB difference between the old image and the new image...

I tarballed /usr/share/zoneinfo from my linux machine, scp'ed it over to my Nokia 770, and untar'ed it there, and now the daylight savings checkbox and the clock applet work fine.