Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Is there a way to charge a BP-5L battery without having it in my N800? I have three batteries and would prefer to charge them when I'm not using it, with a wall socket.

Yes. Check out BP-5l battery and charger on ebay. You can get the charger with a battery for about $8!! The charger plugs into the cable that normally charges your battery.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Wantagh, NY
How are peoples thoughts on 3rd party batteries on ebay like Momax, or SIDO, I'm tempted, but I'm a bit worried about putting a cheap battery in my n800.

I assume the cheapness would show its head if it stops holding a charge, and wouldn't make it blow up

Has anybody actually gotten any one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ype=osi_widget

http://cgi.ebay.com/Momax-Mobile-BP-...QQcmdZViewItem

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
I've bought the SIDO battery and charger from ebay a while ago for the 770. Mainly as fallback when I don't opportunity to charge the BP-5L.

The SIDO battery works fine in the 770 although it's empty faster than the official BP-5L. I think about 2 hours with full load.

The SIDO battery charges fine both within the 770 and in the charger. I haven't tested the BP-5L with the SIDO charger though.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
There have been reports of non-Nokia batteries exploding when used in Nokia devices, which is one of the reasons Nokia recommend you use original batteries (the other being they sell more!)

Personally speaking, I'd stear clear of non-Nokia batteries - the price differential is quite substantial compared to non-Nokia equivalents but I think it would be worth it for the peace of mind...

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
Yes, that's why I only use the SIDO battery as spare and switch back to BP-5L when possible.

The Sido battery measures at about 950 mAh compared to 1500 mAh for the Nokia version so should give about 60% of the run time for about 35% of the cost (2.7 UKP or 5 US$) of the cheapest genuine Nokia BP-5L on Ebay (8UKP or 16US$ at the moment). I can find no reference anywhere on the internet to faulty Sido batterys or cells and think they are probably safe - as we would have someone telling us on here if they were not!

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
There have been reports of non-Nokia batteries exploding when used in Nokia devices, which is one of the reasons Nokia recommend you use original batteries (the other being they sell more!)

Personally speaking, I'd stear clear of non-Nokia batteries - the price differential is quite substantial compared to non-Nokia equivalents but I think it would be worth it for the peace of mind...
Yes, but there are report of all types of batteries, especially for laptops, exploding. I'm surprised they are allowed on airplanes.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
There have been reports of non-Nokia batteries exploding when used in Nokia devices
And there have been reports of genuine nokia battery exploding

which is one of the reasons Nokia recommend you use original batteries (the other being they sell more!)
considering that original batteries do explode from time to time, I think the latter is the only reason

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I can find no reference anywhere on the internet to faulty Sido batterys or cells and think they are probably safe - as we would have someone telling us on here if they were not!
I have been using Sido's, two came included with an external charger. I find them to be very satisfactory, hold their charge very well while on standby and last almost as long while in use as the original Nokia.

Since then I bought a couple of original Nokia's and use them only because of the arguments put forward on this thread and not on account of any lack with the Sido's, which I use when on very long trips and the Nokia batteries are exhausted.