I know it's notin quite the same class as the n800, but it does seem like it might be competitor since it is a small device marketed for mobile internet use and many consumers will be more familiar with the traditional laptop format. Check out the specs:

http://eeepc.asus.com/en/

I'm going to keep an eye on it. Two pounds is light enough to entice me.

I've been wanting this baby since I first heard of it. There is no purchase link, any idea how I can get my hands on one?

New Egg and Best Buy are the exclusive USA (North American?) retailers. The EeePC is supposed to show up on their sites "any hour now," but I've been hearing that since this time yesterday. There's a lot of price estimates floating around, but they are based on the prices in other countries and we all know how the price difference between countries is rarely a simple currency conversion!

PS: For anyone who's wondering whether or not the Eee PC might be considered a competitor to the N800, head over to amazon.com right now, type "Eee PC" in the search box and check out what the first couple hits are

Possibly a stupid question but why wouldn't this be considered a competitor? It looks pretty compact, surfs the t'internet and from what i have just googled should be pretty cheap... AND it has open office, if only......

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by cairn View Post
I know it's notin quite the same class as the n800, but it does seem like it might be competitor since it is a small device marketed for mobile internet use and many consumers will be more familiar with the traditional laptop format. Check out the specs:

Actually, I think it IS in the same class as the N800. Both are essentially ultra-portable internet devices.

It appeals to the same kind of people because it runs Linux, and so will be easily hackable. It will make a terrific portable network diagnostic tool, for example. And, of course, there's the chance to install Windows XP (although I suspect it will run like a lame dog).

It tramples the N800 into the ground in terms of specification and also price. It's even got a VGA out!

True, it won't fit as comfortably into your jeans pocket, and that's one thing I like about my 770 -- I can put it in one pocket, and the Bluetooth keyboard into another.

I really hope that Nokia are looking hard at the Eee. The Eee significantly raises the game in the nascent portable internet device marketplace. Most importantly, the Eee's price is right. If Nokia launch the 810 at a premium, as I suspect they want to, then they're going to drive people to the Eee.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by cairn View Post

I agree it's a competitor for many people. For me, I apply the "airport" test and the traditional laptop format is a disadvantage. You can't use it while waiting in line. It gets pulled over in the airport security line. And it has to have adequate battery life to be able to turn on continuously from when I leave my my office until when they make me turn it off on the plane, and again from the plane to my hotel or other destination.

The silent side of portability is battery life and that remains to be seen for the Asus eee. Nokia gets this right on the tablets.

For me it's not the same class. The N800 is internet on the go. You don't need a backpack or anything. The EEE will need some sort of bag. I will buy the EEE. Just because it's cheap.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
The Asus EeePC is more of an UMPC in a tiny laptop format. It is NOT pocketable and that's one of the main directives of the N800.....a pocketable device.
Yes, the skinned down version of the Eee is relatively inexpensive.