Interesting article on Engadget reciently..

"Those of you disappointed by the "top secret" features of Leopard might want to cast your hopeful, wayward glances in the direction of Ubuntu. Here comes "Gutsy Gibbon," otherwise known as Ubuntu 7.10 whose feature-set now appears finalized with a planned October release just like Apple's big cat. Pumping the 2.6.22 Linux kernel at its core, Gutsy G will be the first Ubuntu release to include new Mobile and Embedded editions "targeted at hand-held devices and other mobile/embedded form factors." It will integrate the Hildon UI components developed by Nokia and already on display in their N800 tablet. In other words, that Sony Ericsson P990i we saw running Ubuntu likely wasn't a hoax after all. :

Read article here

Think this will allow us to install on the N800/N810 ?.. or will it have to be re-compiled - ported for the tablets?

Just curious.

From the FAQ:

#

Can I run it on a Nokia N770/N800?

*As stated above, our current focus in in x86 processors. Despite should be no big problem port it to run on ARM, the Nokia devices have proprietary parts that we can't have access so the port will be, at the best, incomplete. My take on that is, at least for now, if you have a Nokia N770 or N800, stick with Nokia's software.
I'm sure portions of UME will be ported though...

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Could we be more specific here?
Which parts of the Nokia tablet hardware need Nokia support:
video, audio, Wifi , Bluetooth, FM-Radio, touch screen ?
I need all these.
Which parts will be/are planned to be ported to the UbuntuMobileEdition ?

And why should I switch to UME in first place? Will it give me a good PIM or an OnScreenKeyboard with Ctrl and Alt keys?

Thanks.

If by chance that a mobile version of Ubuntu comes availiable for the tablets.. I am hopeful that the PIM software in ubuntu works on it.. that is the only real thing I dislike about the N800.. PIM software for it sux bad. Yes I have used GPE.. its clunky.

I bought a blackberry reciently due to the fact that N800 PIM software suxors. Now I use them as a team.

N800 for multimedia and web browsing.. also for note taking in meetings with the Nokia bluetooth keyboard..

Blackberry for on the go PIM and email.. and a DUN modem.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by HuangShan View Post
Could we be more specific here?
Which parts of the Nokia tablet hardware need Nokia support:
video, audio, Wifi , Bluetooth, FM-Radio, touch screen ?
Not necessarily a complete list...

Most of the available hardware in the OMAP CPU is proprietary or requires NDAs (DSP, IVA, MBX)
WiFi is mostly closed
Battery and watchdog management is closed
Possibly other stuff

It certainly looks like it's in Nokias interest to fully open the OS sooner rather than later. There's some annoying stuff such as the battery and watchdog management they could open source relatively easily, the other hardware may be beyond their control which is why in future they should use open-source friendly hardware and not the closed source cr@p peddled by TI.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
If i understand, ubuntu ume is based on Hildon, so i think we can port PIM of ubuntu ume to maemo easily.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Not necessarily a complete list...

Most of the available hardware in the OMAP CPU is proprietary or requires NDAs (DSP, IVA, MBX)
WiFi is mostly closed
Battery and watchdog management is closed
Possibly other stuff

It certainly looks like it's in Nokias interest to fully open the OS sooner rather than later. There's some annoying stuff such as the battery and watchdog management they could open source relatively easily, the other hardware may be beyond their control which is why in future they should use open-source friendly hardware and not the closed source cr@p peddled by TI.
I really don't understand how Nokia can include proprietary drivers in their distribution on the Linux kernel. There are pretty strict rules for the use of binary blobs in order to avoid breaking the GPL rules. Nokia can't simply keep parts of their Linux kernel secret. That's whar the GPL is designe to stop. So how did Nokia get around it?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by rs-px View Post
I really don't understand how Nokia can include proprietary drivers in their distribution on the Linux kernel. There are pretty strict rules for the use of binary blobs in order to avoid breaking the GPL rules. Nokia can't simply keep parts of their Linux kernel secret. That's whar the GPL is designe to stop. So how did Nokia get around it?
Nobody bothered?

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Nobody bothered?
Do you mean nobody at Nokia bothered to read-up on the GPL and what it allows? This has happened at other companies, of course, and quite a few companies have been forced to reveal code they considered secret. But I can't believe that none of the people developing for the Nokia tablets haven't spotted something smells fishy.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by rs-px View Post
Do you mean nobody at Nokia bothered to read-up on the GPL and what it allows? This has happened at other companies, of course, and quite a few companies have been forced to reveal code they considered secret. But I can't believe that none of the people developing for the Nokia tablets haven't spotted something smells fishy.
I meant that nobody bothered because

a) Nokia did nothing wrong or

b) nobody from the open source community could be bothered.