Notices

Has anyone tried installing the OS2008 compilation of XMMS on the N900? If so, did it work, and how much rootfs did it consume?

Someone is bound to ask, "why would you want an obsolete player like XMMS?" Here are a few answers; feel free to choose the one that comes closest to making sense to you:

1. I don't know why, I just like it.

2. I'm comfortable with it and want to continue to use it.

3. It does what I want without much overhead.

4. I use scripts that control it from the command line.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Yes. xmms is the greatest. If you don't see this in a few weeks or so, ping me and I'll build it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
I want the XMMS for the N900 too. From my point of view, it is one of the best players. Is anybody known porting it to Extras? The media player is fine, but it has no equalizer...

Last edited by Moli_T; 2010-01-19 at 10:49.

oh yeah xmms would be really great... simple and straight forward

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
I belive it is possible to run xmms2 the new xmms implementation. It is a server/client based construction. One of the users here (ruskie) has a repository with debs on it, however I couldnot get it installed because it missed deps. As far as I can see there are tons of plugins and many clients avilable voor xmms2. You can try it out with easy debian, it can be installed but needs a little tinkering to get it working. Easy debian is of coures not ideal, and slow.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Ther is also Audacious - yet another fork of XMMS. This version probably stays "true" to the original implementation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacious_Media_Player

The original XMMS is no longer maintained and XMMS2 is an implemenation from scratch.

Would it make more sense to port Audacious? - it seems to be actively maintained compared to original XMMS.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
I heard good things about XMMS I look forward to any kind of port to the N900, I have no qualms with the default media player really but there definitely is room for improvement.

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
mhm... ruskie is already running xmms2 on the n900:

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Well here's mine

I only really use 2 desktops atm though I have all 4 enabled.

I wish there was a snap to grid for the desktop though...

Originally Posted by b666m View Post
mhm... ruskie is already running xmms2 on the n900:
Sweet, and he listens to Nightwish thats one of my favorite bands right now.

I like how its integrated into the desktop like a widget, its both good and bad. You lose a desktop and its not hard to have an application running in the background with the N900's great multi tasking functions but makes it a bit more convenient still.

Looks like no cover art though? I gotta have my cover art & meta tags (for the last 2 weeks been tagging and embedding cover art into my music collection just for my N900)

Last edited by ViciousXUSMC; 2010-01-20 at 06:24.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
xmms 1.x is unlikely to arrive due to build dependency on packages like libgtk1.2-dev (GTK 1.2).

Tags
audacious, nokia n900