I would like to browse websites with Chinese characters. Can anyone tell me how to do? Though I hv read most of the threads in this forum, I still feel confused and don't know how to do since I am really a newb to Maemo & Linux. If anyone can post the procedures step by step in details (even the command sentence ), it will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
There are several ways to make the opera browser in N800 display traditional chinese characters.

I think this is the easiest. Use this package from the maemocjk project: http://maemocjk.garage.maemo.org/dis...maemo1_all.deb

Just download the file and install in using the application manager. Don't forget to reboot the device after installation.

A note for (advanced) 770 users. The above deb package will not work on the 770. At least not directly. Installing will give an error (apparently the fc-cache command has changed)

To install on the 770, one needs to download and extract the package, become root to copy the ttf font to /usr/share/fonts, issue fc-cache -fv to refresh the font cache and finally to a reboot.

Please let me know if anyone needs more detailed instructions

Thank you Henry.

The above deb package is good however it will disable the original input method. What I want is to display Chinese characters especially during web browsing. Chinese Input is not that necessary.

Well if you choose to install the maemo-chinese-support package, then the original input method is replaced. If you only install the true type font package (link in prev. message) then the original input method is still there.

The Following User Says Thank You to henry For This Useful Post:
Any single file installation?

I believe I have read the message of installing fonts you mentioned. However, I think I need step by step in details (even the command sentence) coz I even don't know how to become root

@BigBoss

The second message was for 770 owners only. For N800 it's really simple.
Just open this link in your N800: http://maemocjk.garage.maemo.org/dis...maemo1_all.deb

Choose to open the deb file. (or save is somewhere first and use file manager to open) After installation, reboot. That's all.

Dear Henry, this will disable the original input method, right? It is what I don't want to be happened.

Dear Henry, I hv made mistake. The link above is just installing the fonts, right? Pls confirm.

Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
Dear Henry, I hv made mistake. The link above is just installing the fonts, right? Pls confirm.
Yes, it just install the fonts.