I was just browsing the Microsoft website and found out that there are windows embedded version that works on an ARM processors.
then I found this on google: http://wd.sharethis.com/share3x/ligh...mbedded-ce.php

Do you think its possible to compile a windows embedded version for the N900, it has an ARM CPU so this shouldnt be too much of a problem because no emulation would be needed to an x86 CPU.

What do you think/know? Post it here!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
There's already a version for the N900s CPU, but unless there's full hardware support (graphics, sound, USB, GSM, etc) then you won't get much from it. At the best you'll just end up with a Windows CE smartphone though, so if that's what you want, just buy one.

EDIT: Oh, and the straight link (without whatever karma whoring is on that one) is http://www.arm.com/community/softwar...mbedded-ce.php

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London - UK
Windows Mobile (which is based on Windows Embedded/CE) has always worked on ARM cores; driver support is more uncertain (although I doubt there are many components in the N900 that can't be found in other devices) - but the whole thing is closed source. Phone makers license the OS from MS (for a lot of money) and then work on customising it for their devices - there isn't really an entry route for amateurs.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Rob1n's nailed it; Windows CE isn't interesting.

Windows XP however... ohhhhh
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Most (if not all) of the PDAs that ran Windows CE/Mobile were ARM based, most using an XScale chip (from Intel, until they got rid of it).

And to be honest, most stuff I did on my 5 year old PDA were almost as fast as on the n900 today (calendar, contacts,..). I cursed a lot when I ditched it to get an N810: no syncing, no calendar,.... still the worst unpolished piece of junk I've ever owned :/

I see, well I have had Win Mo devices and I still own a GPS in my car that runs Win CE 4.2 , though as far as I know Win CE and Embedded (can be found in cash registers, ATMs and the such) are NOT the same, Embedded is more like Win XP (rather than Win CE).
Im more interested in that side of the story.

Last edited by michael196; 2010-04-22 at 15:01.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by michael196 View Post
I see, well I have had Win Mo devices and I still own a GPS in my car that runs Win CE 4.2 , though as far as I know Win CE and Embedded (can be found in cash registers, ATMs and the such) are NOT the same, Embedded is more like Win XP (rather than Win CE).
Im more interested in that side of the story.
The link you gave is for Windows Embedded CE though, and the Architecture Support tab suggests that MS have combined Windows CE and Windows Embedded with version 6 (as it lists CE 3-4, CE 5, and Embedded CE 6).