Active Topics

So I've been chatting with JBQ (and co.) and he's given me some (wink wink) hints but can't confirm or deny anything for obvious reasons.

Anyways, we've been discussing the future of Android and:
- 64-bit processors are definitely coming (probably as early as Q4 this year, and going mainstream in Q2 '14)
- Android 5.0 will probably be available around Nov this year
- Android will make a jump to a new Linux kernel, but probably not until 5.0 (this means another small iterative Android 4.x version Mid-Year in 2013)
- The new Linux Kernel will have to be something longterm, which means not 3.8
- Linux 3.9 is on the table, as it supports Google's Goldfish
- Linux 3.9 will merge ARM-architectures into a single branch (easier to develop), support mild improvements overall, and many enhancements for Android on x86 (competing against Windows 8 and RT?)
- r00t will be significantly more difficult to attain. Unless the OEM allows you to do it (Nexus), they purposely leave a bug for you to r00t it, or if there's a SERIOUS screw up on the OEM's side
- Very probable that next Android will be using gcc 4.7
- There's also a chance gcc 4.8 will be introduced with Android 5.0
- Possibility that a leap to Java 7 will occur with Android 5.0 or later
- No clues about "Buzz" but a merging of more Google Talk etc etc services to Google+ is probable (to compete with Apple's iMessage connected service)
- Android 5.0 might be codenamed "Lollipop" (this one's purely my prediction)

So the picture I'm getting, is that Android will have made 3 notable huge leaps in evolution:
- The leap from v1.6 to v2.1
- The leap from v2.3.7 to v4.0
- The leap from v4.3.1 to v5.0

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2013-04-14 at 08:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Another thing I want to bring up to discussion are about bringing Android to the TV. Those little dongle sticks have become popular, and are much better alternatives to SmartTV interfaces, GoogleTV, AppleTV, Roku and etc etc.

It was 16 months ago when AlwaysInnovating solely created this concept, and I must say I was and still am impressed by it.

I want to know what you guys think about this subject, there's several devices that took my attention:
- MK808 (most popular stick, $44, with Native Linux support!)
- MK818 (based on 808, $80, but fits snugly on-top of your TV and looks great for Skype and free internet calls. Perhaps it evolves into Kinect ?)
- OUYA (not that interesting, $99, though it would be handy to "shake up" the industry and get developers start targeting their apps for gamepad controlling. And a decent 4th running to the console wars is most welcome)
- GAMESTICK (worse ecosystem but better software than OUYA, $79, innovative "portable" design)
- MiiPC (A "PC" that's great for kids. $99. Interface looks handsome on a HDTV. The box is heaps better looking than the OUYA)

What are the future implications?
I'm thinking of a really compact dongle like the Measy U2C which has all the essentials and a decent HD cam for Skype. Also a (universal?) gamepad that can slot the dongle like the GAMESTICK for easy portability. With a intuitive User Interface like the MiiPC and The MOD'ed Multi-Window feature. And a much more powerful (like a Core i3 Ultrabook) thanks to newer chips and a more optimized Android Operating System.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2013-04-14 at 02:56.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Epic.

-via Maemo Talk app

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
- No clues about "Buzz" but a merging of more Google Talk etc etc services to Google+ is probable (to compete with Apple's iMessage connected service)
I thought they already told everyone that was going to be called Google Babble?

- Android 5.0 might be codenamed "Lollipop"
I'm pretty sure they've already pointed out that Android 5.0 will be codenamed Key Lime Pie (you would be skipping a letter if they went straight to Lollipop from Jellybean).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I thought they already told everyone that was going to be called Google Babble?

I'm pretty sure they've already pointed out that Android 5.0 will be codenamed Key Lime Pie (you would be skipping a letter if they went straight to Lollipop from Jellybean).
Not sure, I've been hearing that Babel was just the codename for the service that runs everything. I'm sure the marketing team would find something "slick" to throw out there for the masses.

It seems like a major revision of Android has been in the works for the past couple of months, but it won't be ready in time for Google's I/O which is in late May. Hence, Android version 5.0 will come out in the fourth quarter this year, probably in November. That means there's going to be one version infront of this major release, which will be codenamed beginning with K, meaning version 5 will be a codename beginning with "L". Nobody knows what it could be, I think it could be called Lollipop. After mentioning this, the chatter went quite and no-one wanted to deny it.

According to all the chatter, its probable we might only see a new version of Android in I/O.
It's probably going to be an iterative version of Android next, with the moniker of 4.2.3 or 4.3. So that means "Key Lime Pie" (if that's what they decided on) will still be a version 4. One of the killer features (or gimmick) would probably be "Babel" or "Buzz" or "new Google+".

So yeah, not much else to do but wait and see how Google's strategy plays. If they decide to release the major iterative (version 5) in May, that would be a pleasant surprise. (the sooner they release it, the sooner the bugs get fixed, the better optimized they can be for upcoming hardware, the sooner the oems can get to work, and the sooner the community can implement their customizations)

I'm flattered

Not sure, I've been hearing that Babel was just the codename for the service that runs everything. I'm sure the marketing team would find something "slick" to throw out there for the masses.

It seems like a major revision of Android has been in the works for the past couple of months, but it won't be ready in time for Google's I/O which is in late May. Hence, Android version 5.0 will come out in the fourth quarter this year, probably in November. That means there's going to be one version infront of this major release, which will be codenamed beginning with K, meaning version 5 will be a codename beginning with "L". Nobody knows what it could be, I think it could be called Lollipop. After mentioning this, the chatter went quite and no-one wanted to deny it.

According to all the chatter, its probable we might only see a new version of Android in I/O.
It's probably going to be an iterative version of Android next, with the moniker of 4.2.3 or 4.3. So that means "Key Lime Pie" (if that's what they decided on) will still be a version 4. One of the killer features (or gimmick) would probably be "Babel" or "Buzz" or "new Google+".

So yeah, not much else to do but wait and see how Google's strategy plays. If they decide to release the major iterative (version 5) in May, that would be a pleasant surprise. (the sooner they release it, the sooner the bugs get fixed, the better optimized they can be for upcoming hardware, the sooner the oems can get to work, and the sooner the community can implement their customizations)
Why would it need to be codenamed Key Lime Pie if EVERY indication is that 5.0 is Key Lime Pie? You realize that 4.1 and 4.2 are both Ice Cream Sandwich. Why wouldn't 4.3 still be Ice Cream Sandwich with 5.0 being Key Lime Pie. So far, I'm not seeing ANYBODY talking about Lollipop being 5.0. You're the first and only person to suggest this so far.

Here, since we're talking rumors:
http://reviews.cnet.com/android-news/?ttag=gpwl

(Also note: They STILL call 5.0 Key Lime Pie).

Can you give me anything, ANYTHING, that suggests 5.0 is Lollipop? I've never seen anything so far. I have already given you plenty that suggests Key Lime Pie.

Thanks, man!

Edit: Here's something for you to consider, and seems much more in-line with what I've seen and heard so far... http://www.ibtimes.com/android-60-mi...icorice-photos
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2013-04-15 at 03:51.

Thanks.
I'm the only one out there saying 5.0 could be Lollipop, and not Key Lime Pie. That's because a few (well, two) devs said they are hard at working on a new platform (hence a big jump in version numbers, from 4.x to 5.0).

They both say it won't be ready in time for May/June, hence a probable delay to November (a bit like the story with ICS).

I can see Google making a small iterative evolution in May, since Android 4.x devices are still catching up to the market share of Android 2.3.x. However, its almost certain Google won't be using the Jelly Bean name again (it has been used twice already).

So with all [rumours] things considered:
-Android 5.0 is meant to be revolutionary (basically to catch up to desktop Linux, match up to 64-bit Processors)
-Android 5.0 is meant to be released in May with the codename "Key Lime Pie"
-Google is working on side projects (improving Chrome, Now, Maps, Plus, Chat, and other "gimmicks")
-Android 5.0 isn't ready yet, it might be pushed to the next Android release
-This means an iterative 4.x version will be shown at I/O and codenamed beginning with "K"
-Also means Android 5.0 will have a codename beginning with "L"
-It's "full steam ahead" in Google at the moment, so making the 5.0 deadline in May is still anybody's guess
(Can Google afford releasing a buggy first version of their new platform? They did with 4.0.0 and were quick to recap to 4.0.3. Do they feel lucky, punk?)

PS By the way you have a typo in your post:
"You realize that 4.1 and 4.2 are both Ice Cream Sandwich. Why wouldn't 4.3 still be Ice Cream Sandwich"

You meant to write Jelly Bean.

I'm flattered

Thanks.
I'm the only one out there saying 5.0 could be Lollipop, and not Key Lime Pie. That's because a few (well, two) devs said they are hard at working on a new platform (hence a big jump in version numbers, from 4.x to 5.0).

They both say it won't be ready in time for May/June, hence a probable delay to November (a bit like the story with ICS).

I can see Google making a small iterative evolution in May, since Android 4.x devices are still catching up to the market share of Android 2.3.x. However, its almost certain Google won't be using the Jelly Bean name again (it has been used twice already).

So with all [rumours] things considered:
-Android 5.0 is meant to be revolutionary (basically to catch up to desktop Linux, match up to 64-bit Processors)
-Android 5.0 is meant to be released in May with the codename "Key Lime Pie"
-Google is working on side projects (improving Chrome, Now, Maps, Plus, Chat, and other "gimmicks")
-Android 5.0 isn't ready yet, it might be pushed to the next Android release
-This means an iterative 4.x version will be shown at I/O and codenamed beginning with "K"
-Also means Android 5.0 will have a codename beginning with "L"
-It's "full steam ahead" in Google at the moment, so making the 5.0 deadline in May is still anybody's guess
(Can Google afford releasing a buggy first version of their new platform? They did with 4.0.0 and were quick to recap to 4.0.3. Do they feel lucky, punk?)

PS By the way you have a typo in your post:
"You realize that 4.1 and 4.2 are both Ice Cream Sandwich. Why wouldn't 4.3 still be Ice Cream Sandwich"

You meant to write Jelly Bean.
That's not a typo--it's worse, that's a complete mis-naming. You're right--I meant to say Jelly Bean in both instances. (A typo is when you mistype. I completely chose the whole wrong word/name in this case. I must have been extra tired when I wrote it.) Thanks for clarifying that, though. I did mean Jelly Bean.

I'm much more in-line with your revised ideas, although this wouldn't be the first time Google named more than two revisions of Android a codename. Think Honeycomb--EVERYTHING 3.x was named Honeycomb. Android versions 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 3.2.3, 3.2.4, 3.2.5 and 3.2.6 were all Honeycomb--why would it be unusual or against any kind of rules or guides that they would call the 4.3.x line Jelly Bean so that 5.0 will line up with the Key Lime Pie name?

In any case, Google hasn't officially confirmed ANY of this and we're purely speculating--but it's fun and interesting to do so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android...uture_versions

Last edited by danramos; 2013-04-15 at 15:51.

So what I posted last fortnight seems to be unfolding as expected.

There's now evidence to say the next version of Android will be an iterative step, labelled as Android 4.3 and called....
...*drumroll*...
Jelly Bean !

Pretty awkward that Google would label it as the same codename for three times in a row. Or un-Google if you will. However, like Dan pointed out not out of possibility. Afterall, Google did name the unsuccessful versions 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.2 with the same codename Honeycomb.

I wonder if Google is going to put all the "new changes" (Google Apps, UI, gimmicks, etc etc) into this release and only give base improvements (new kernel and framework and 64-bit support) for the next release ("Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie").

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/04...ll-jelly-bean/

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Looks like I was right about the naming conventions. 4.3 is out and it's still Jellybean!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy