Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the need to keep up with yet another bill, and that i carry my phone anyways...

right now my phone is a 2.5G (or more like 2.75 but anyways) but im planing of going 3G.

if i wanted a all in one device, i would probably go for some symbian phone.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
*sigh*

It's very discouraging when people completely miss what's actually intended and has been going on, and then exaggerate like that. Not helpful for constructive dialog at all.
Sorry, not intended to put anyone down. Comment does exaggerate at little.

Just feels like the wheels at Nokia turn a little too slowly with not enough resource (for the N8xx anyway). Perhaps great things are happening behind closed doors. But I am commenting on how I perceive it. I don't think I'm the only one.

There is the article on tablet blog I mentioned earlier (on what could be) and if you look at tabletguru, that too is "on hold".

Please do enlighten/correct as to what is really happening/coming soon.

Zuber

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
If one decides to clone Apple please don't clone their 3G functionality
Nor their bluetooth functionality. My friend and I were shaking our heads over his iPhone's "bluetooth"... It's there, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I wonder, those people who are against a 3G module on the NIT: do you already own a phone with 2/2.5/3G access which you're using? Besides the added price or that you wouldn't use it -- why are you against 3G on the NIT?
I already have a 3G contract with my N82 and it work fine with the N810.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with there being a 3G chip onboard (other than effect on batterylife and cost) provided it does not become the "only option". By which I mean the other options start getting neglected/under developed.

In fact, it would probably mean the PIM side of things getting a real push, so possibly even a good thing from that perspective.

I wanted the N8xx primarily for big screen and qwerty. I also like the idea of it being independant of all the contract obligations etc. and leaving me free to pick whichever phone with features combination I wish.

If I could get a Tablet with all the features of an N82 built in, I might be tempted (with BT headset). Especially if could play back the video it had just recorded

But then others would want a different set of features/pricepoint from their phone/internet tablet.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Nor their bluetooth functionality. My friend and I were shaking our heads over his iPhone's "bluetooth"... It's there, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything...
Same here. Wife just got an iPhone (tried to talk her out of it). Nice interface, though lacking in features. Anyway, first thing I did was say I'll bluetooth over some contacts and pics. Still not managed it...

Zuber

Last edited by Zuber; 2008-08-29 at 16:54.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
So, let's say that wifi or the equivalent DOES become available everywhere? Those of you who who don't want the tablet to have a phone will quickly delete Skype and breathe a sigh of relief, joyful that you got rid of the phone aspect of the tablet? Amazing.

Banned | Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ southern california
i went to go do laundry yesterday. as usual i have one of my internet tablets with me. yesterday i had my 770 because i let my g/f use my 800. out of nowhere some guy comes up to me and ask me "whoa!, i thought i was the only loser with a 770" it was pretty funny.i mean everywhere i look people have iphones and ipods. im not going to lie i had an iphone.i won it from a bet off a buddy of mine. what ipods/iphones lack is the intimacy between the unit itself and the consumer.dont get me wrong i know there things the NIT lacks but oh well. i find it beautiful that there are communities like maemo in which we can share common joy in one thing. it is almost like a revolution...."no great movement designed to change the world can bear to be laughed at or belittled. mockery is a rust that corrodes all it touches."

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
The addition of a cellular adds a significant layer to selling the IT in an open capacity because of patent and proprietary issues related to the cellular infrastructure that in place differently in many regions. The cost to making it this open is not yet worth it (see Xohm/Sprint/Clearwire issues for proof of this).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
So, let's say that wifi or the equivalent DOES become available everywhere? Those of you who who don't want the tablet to have a phone will quickly delete Skype and breathe a sigh of relief, joyful that you got rid of the phone aspect of the tablet? Amazing.
WiFi everywhere doesn't allow you to use WiFi 24/7 because all the networks are independent. Its essentialy a lot like CT2. You wouldn't be able to phone (or Internet) location independent, and you can't use it on the go.

Skype? Why Skype? Thats a closed protocol with some secret, encrypted P2P functionality. Ie. a proprietary vendor lock-in with security through obscurity capability. Better use SIP.

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
The addition of a cellular adds a significant layer to selling the IT in an open capacity because of patent and proprietary issues related to the cellular infrastructure that in place differently in many regions. The cost to making it this open is not yet worth it (see Xohm/Sprint/Clearwire issues for proof of this).
Care to state some of the issues?

You don't have to buy a Nokia phone with data plan. You can, but you don't have to. The same would be true for a NIT.

The chip would run its own closed source firmware while the interface to the chipset/firmware is completely open. Just like a 3G USB stick. Just like openMoko. openMoko I won't buy because 1) stability wise its not for end-users yet... 2) it lacks 3G... 3) again, its another device, and mostly a phone...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Please do enlighten/correct as to what is really happening/coming soon.
I really, really wish I could offer details. That will have to come from other people at the proper times.

All I can say is what I've been saying for some time: the community input IS being processed. Progress IS being made. But again, the tablet platform started off VERY experimental. The N800's success actually took some inside Nokia by surprise (I was not one of them). The infrastructure wasn't quite ready for the sales numbers. And at some point in almost any new product's lifecycle, there's that question: is it successful enough to continue, or do we let it die (ie, N-Gage device) and take the hit? The platform was actually on a bubble for a while-- too successful to kill, not successful enough to build a business around.

And it's actually the slightly-open, community-embracing aspect that caused the latter. Had the tablets been closed, we would not be having this discussion. 100% control (a la Apple) means more dedication in every way. The dilemma of the Nokia tablets is that their strength is also their weakness. And it's not as if Nokia was abrogating responsibility-- the goal all along was to develop a device type that the company could make a profit from and at the same time open as much of it as possible/practical to the general public.

I cannot overstate what a difficult balancing act that is. We are damned if we do, damned if we don't. You complain that the company expects too much from the community. Developers complain we didn't go far enough. If you have a formula for pleasing every single person across a gamut of expectations and abilities, I'm open to it and will gladly share within Nokia's walls.

But our folks are gradually turning this science experiment into a practical platform that is as open as they can manage. People who have stuck with the tablets have seen the slow, steady progress. And while I can't share details, I can say the support situation is improving. I wish I could share more than an occasional "hee hee hee", because I've seen some amazing presentations of what's currently in the works and I can't wait until you all see it too. Some still-open questions are gonna turn into big a-HA!" moments.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Care to state some of the issues?
Ari Jaaksi's old blog post on the topic provides a good summary, as it has every time this question has arisen in the fora.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: