Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Now that we've seen screenshots (and even videos) of smaller applications on Fremantle: Did anybody try to compile the real stuff? Xchat? Claws? Pidgin? ...? Gnumeric?

It would be very interesting to see how these applications are doing. After all, being able to run real desktop applications more or less unmodified is the USP of Maemo, so I'd really like to see how Fremantle treats them.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I can build my xchat 2.8.6 (based on skyhusker's 2.8.4) extras-devel version for Fremantle but I hate to disappoint you - XChat is heavily modified

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Is every app going to have to be recompiled?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Is every app going to have to be recompiled?
At the very least they should be to take advantage of armv7, but, really, this is why we insist on having source packages for every free package in Extras. That was transitions like these can be scripted instead of having to rely on every single maintainer to get their individual act together and re-upload an updated .deb.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I can build my xchat 2.8.6 (based on skyhusker's 2.8.4) extras-devel version for Fremantle but I hate to disappoint you - XChat is heavily modified
I guess "heavily modified" here means "Xchat for Maemo - no matter which version of Maemo - is heavily modified compared to the original desktop version"? (And refers to my "more or less unmodified"?)

If so: sure. From my POV as an end user, it's hardly modified. I have the very same user experience as on my desktop PC. Take it as a compliment.

I'd just be interested in how screenshots look. Especially all the beefy settings dialogs... I felt they almost reached the limit of what could be done on OS2005-2008, but now Fremantle seems to have even bigger widgets, less usable space in dialogs... does it still work? Or did you have to "heavily modify" the whole application yet again and is this what you meant?

(And, btw: Thanks a lot for making it available. It's on my todo-list as "give 5 stars and write enthusiastic review on downloads.maemo.org", but it seems the 2008-version isn't listed there... yet. - Any reason for this other than "ah, that's still on my todo-list, I haven't had the time yet"? - If I understand it correctly, I could do it for you, right?)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: