Notices

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
While playing with wife's Galaxy Tab and the Android market, I realized that one thing that we lack is a good music leeching app.
For Android there are plenty; one of them is "Ringer". Basically, all of them search a number of public repositories (semi-legal or plain illegal, I guess) for title or artist, and present a list of found items, with the option of streaming or downloading the file.
It could be a nice thing to have on maemo devices imho. If one doesn't feel it's fair to download the casual tune he happened to like on the radio - well I think this could be discussed in the piracy thread.
Here I'd like to know if there's someone interested in coding something like that.

To know which sites host the archives, well if you try Ringer via nitdroid or any other android device, you'll see it plainly reports the site url (differently from similar apps) - so it could be possible to get a comprehensive list of sites to be searched.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-04-03 at 10:04.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Bump

Interested to hear the outcome of this

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
How will the application make the search? Scraping HTML?

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Couple matches with "ringer"

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
OK my fault the app was not called "Ringer" but "Ringtone"
and *hell* is not in the market any more. It was too good to last

Now I have to determine whereit can be downloaded, but I'm not an Android user so... give me some minutes

Well now it seems it has changed its name, now it's FreeMusicDownloader and is here: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
Still works as I told before.

I imagine it sends my wife's personal data in innumerable servers worldwide together with position and the stuff, but then, what's the point of all this android stuff if not trading apps with personal info

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-04-03 at 16:12.