Active Topics

I am new to this forum and this device. I was currently considering buying the Nokia N800, I already have an Archos 605, but was looking for something that was also able to take notes offline. I see the N800 has this ability. How is it really for inputting small/short paragraphs of ideas? How does it compare to a cell phone or PDA? Better/Worse/Don't bother because it sucks? Please be honest.

The Following User Says Thank You to moviecouple For This Useful Post:
For that application, Maemopad+ is a decent program. It keeps it in a tree format. Only problem it does not sync with anything like MS Outlook and there is no search feature. But you can export the content but I haven't tried it. I like it better than a PDA and much better than a phone. BTW, Maemopad+ like many programs is a free download.

Notes that comes with the N800 is a simple text editor. You can do searches but the organization of notes is what you have to do. Also Notes does not have any kind of sketching feature like Maemopad+. There is another one but can't remember what it is and did not work for me anyways.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
There is a 'new' program for the N800 called Notecase that does hierarchical notes, outline-style. I think it is quite handy. Maemopad+ is also good. If you do much original composition on the N800 you may find yourself learning a new, Steven Hawkings style terseness, because every word is an effort. You can certainly take notes fast in drawing mode in Maemopad+ and figure out how to read your handwriting later.

The Notecase program is difficult to find unless you check Maemo Garage a lot, as I do. It can be found at

https://garage.maemo.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1434

with the link to the current program provided -- it's at Soundforge.

Certainly I think that taking notes on the N800 is better than on any cell phone I've ever seen, but not as good as on any laptop.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
There is a 'new' program for the N800 called Notecase that does hierarchical notes, outline-style. I think it is quite handy. Maemopad+ is also good. If you do much original composition on the N800 you may find yourself learning a new, Steven Hawkings style terseness, because every word is an effort. You can certainly take notes fast in drawing mode in Maemopad+ and figure out how to read your handwriting later.

The Notecase program is difficult to find unless you check Maemo Garage a lot, as I do. It can be found at

https://garage.maemo.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1434

with the link to the current program provided -- it's at Soundforge.

Certainly I think that taking notes on the N800 is better than on any cell phone I've ever seen, but not as good as on any laptop.
Agreed. I use Notes for taking notes during my weekly meetings. Works well enough for me.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
My choice for note is Xournal. Great for handwriting and sketching, exports in pdf, and also imports pdf for annotating.

Thanks for the info all. Anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated for a newcomer like me. Where can I get these programs and is there a good tutorial and how to load them on the system?

Maemopad+ is one of the natural, easy to install programs that you first load when getting your N800. I already gave directions to Notecase, which is also easy to install once you find it.

Xournal is similar to Maemopad+ and is also dead easy to install. It has a bug that has a special fix, as I recall. If you click on the Software icon at the top of this page you will find easy installs for the common N800 programs like these.

You seem to have the impression that many programs are difficult to install, perhaps from going through messages here. Users have to get used to the concept of Repositories and how to set them up. After they learn that, there is no problem with installing practically any program that works normally and that is set up for the N800 or N770.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Originally Posted by moviecouple View Post
Thanks for the info all. Anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated for a newcomer like me. Where can I get these programs and is there a good tutorial and how to load them on the system?
How to install here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...epositories%29
770 and 800 are done the same way.
where to get is: maemo.org
You have to look around. "Where to get" is such a basic question people will complain that you are asking for help without looking yourself. With the n800 you have to do a lot yourself.

An answer to 'where to get' that has worked well for me is to google maemo + name of program.