Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I might be alone in this but I strongly disagree that tagging the audio with metadata is "an even better idea".
Well, yes, having a filename contain the information you need to find the file you're looking for is important. My issue here is not that I want to create useless filenames, but that it becomes extremely inconvenient to try and cram every last piece of meta-data into a filename; nobody wants to read through filenames that are hundreds of characters long, and many characters are inconvenient to place in a filename. (I hate having to escape characters in order to access a file on the command line...)

If possible, I'd prefer filenames that have a single, descriptive, and relatively short name, and then cram the rest of the metadata somewhere else. Audio tags might work well here; and if not, perhaps a small separate database of meta-data...

(And actually, I was interested in tags because they _would_ preserve metadata if the audio files were moved to another device, where filename restrictions might end up clipping data out of the filenames themselves...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
For the next update... While the phone is using the "Silent" profile, orecchiette gives no output playing the recorded files.
Any other player works also with silent profile.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
@Copernicus

Hi, many thanks for this useful app

Regarding the following (published by you a long time ago in this thread):

"Edit: There are a lot of Speex parameters in this element. They have 8, 16, and 32 kHz modes available (along with an "Auto" mode, which apparently chooses the mode that most closely matches the audio source). And, they've also got a separate "Quality" parameter, with an integer value ranging from 0 to 10. Anyway, I'll see if I can make these parameters available..."

Could you please tell me if it's definitively possible to tweak the quality parameter for AAC recordings? (.wav it's too heavy & actual .acc quality it's too poor)

Keep it up!!

Cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capitannemo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by capitannemo View Post
Could you please tell me if it's definitively possible to tweak the quality parameter for AAC recordings? (.wav it's too heavy & actual .acc quality it's too poor)
Hmm. I would imagine it is possible to some extent; but, I have to admit that I am not an expert in audio production. I took up Orecchiette mostly as a challenge to my coding skills; I believed I could do better than the "Recaller" app. But for the most part, Orecchiette is pretty much just a glorified front-end to a collection of GStreamer pipelines.

For "AAC", Orecchiette is using the "nokiaaacenc" GStreamer plugin, and this is another problem -- I can't find any documentation at all for this plugin. I am setting two parameters for it, "bitrate" (to 128000) and "output-format" (to 1), but only because I stole those parameters from the Recaller app. I honestly don't know what values are viable for these parameters (or for that matter, their exact function, although "bitrate" seems fairly obvious).

In any case, though, I have long needed to clean up the Orecchiette GUI, so I wouldn't mind at least making these items available on the preferences panel. Let me take a look at it...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Hi Copernicus!

Thanks a lot for your quick response & interest

I have found a thread (although a short one) named "How to encode in AAC with Gstreamer"

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43231

Perhaps it might help with the "nokiaaaccenc" parameters understanding

Please excuse me if the later happens to be nonsense (I must admit I simply have no idea, just trying to help)

I really appreciate your efforts on the subject.

Cheers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capitannemo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by capitannemo View Post
Perhaps it might help with the "nokiaaaccenc" parameters understanding
Thank you! I had actually browsed that thread before to get an idea of the syntax needed to access GStreamer from C++, but I hadn't really considered examining the nokiaaacenc parameters they use. It does have an interesting item:

Code:
encoder = gst_element_factory_make("nokiaaacenc", NULL);
if (!encoder) {
fprintf(stderr, "err: create encoder nokiaaacenc failed\n");
return 1;
}
bitrate = 128000;
width = 16;
depth = 16;
rate = 48000;
channels = 1;
So, in theory, there are also "width", "depth", "rate", and "channels" parameters that can be set. Sadly, I still have no clue what the limits for these would be (if they are even valid to start with), but I can at least make them available to Orecchiette users. I'll put them on the list.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xes View Post
For the next update... While the phone is using the "Silent" profile, orecchiette gives no output playing the recorded files.
Any other player works also with silent profile.
I'm slowly catching up with older posts here. Let me ask: what exactly does the "Silent profile" mean? If it doesn't mean "Silent", exactly where does one draw the line? Thanks!

I should say that I'm using the default GStreamer "playbin2" element to play back audio and video, and I would have guessed that it follows whatever the standard is for audio playback in a given environment. I'll have to see what I need to do to either start checking what profile is currently running, or otherwise modify the playbin2 settings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Let me ask: what exactly does the "Silent profile" mean? If it doesn't mean "Silent", exactly where does one draw the line?
I think it is quite clear on the n900 - music plays under the silent profile, phone works etc. All that the silent profile prevents is unsolicited noises a.k.a ringing.

At least, that's what it seems to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I would also include feedback noises to the list: key press, application start animations etc. The more you think about it the more it starts looking less like "what to mute" and more like "what to exclude from muting".

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Hmm, I should have done a bit more googling around; it appears that there is in fact a bug somewhere in the way playbin2 has been implemented on the N900:

http://maemo.org/community/maemo-dev...e_on_the_n900/

I'm not sure I can fix this myself. I suppose I could use some alternative to playbin2 instead, though; I'll do some investigating.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording