Hi there! I received a free N9 at a software developers conference late last year. I'd like to use it instead of my old iphone which is getting long in the tooth. I do not have a sim card for the N9 yet: I am hoping to play with it awhile and see how I like it before I commit to a celphone service contract and spend money on it.

I am trying to get this N9 to talk on my wifi network at home, and the N9 seems to connect to our WAP, but it only intermittently loads webpages. I can get google to come up (sometimes) but usually it just never loads webpages.

All our other devices (2 windows pcs, 2 linux boxes, a mac mini, 2 iphones and a roku device) all talk on our network just fine. We use a D-Link DIR-655 WAP/Firewall. We have MAC filtering enabled, and I added the N9 MAC address to the permitted devices list. I also tried disabling MAC filtering so that the DIR-655 will talk to any device regardless of MAC address, but I still have the problem.

We are using WPA, and the N9 has the shared key, and when I try to connect to internet manually, it seems to connect to our wifi SSID with no error messages and I see the blue wifi active icon in the top left corner of the N9 screen. The Settings > Internet Connections screen shows "Connected".

On the DIR-655, the N9 shows as connected: I see it's MAC address in the "Connected Wifi Devices" list. I have configured the WAP to reserve 192.168.0.100 for this N9, and it seems to be getting that IP address.

Router (D-Link DIR-655) wifi connected devices status page shows:

Code:
SSID MAC Address IP Address Mode Rate (Mbps) Signal (%)

CIVILWIFI [macaddr]6F 192.168.0.100 802.11n (2.4GHz) 39 76 

Hardware Address Assigned IP Hostname Expires

[macaddr]:6f 192.168.0.100 RM696 Never

I try to ping 192.168.0.100 from cygwin shell on my pc, and it looks like there is no route:

Code:
$ ping 192.168.0.100

Pinging 192.168.0.100 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.189: Destination host unreachable.
...however netstat -rn on my pc shows a route for 192.168:

Code:
IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.0.1    192.168.0.189     10
127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
192.168.0.0    255.255.255.0         On-link     192.168.0.189    266
192.168.0.189  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.0.189    266
192.168.0.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.0.189    266
224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     192.168.0.189    266
255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.0.189    266
===========================================================================
...and I can ping other devices on 192.168 just fine.

Something is wrong somewhere. I've been fiddling with this for a few hours now, and my problem is that I can't ssh into the N9 to try to see what's going on. Since I have no internet connectivity from the phone, I can't download diagnostic tools. I looked for xterm on the N9 or some other way to get more info from within the phone, but this is a vanilla phone with just the factory installed apps. I even tried opening 127.0.0.1 in the N9 web browser hoping there might be some administrative interface, but there wasn't. The N9 appears to be operating normally in other respects.

I would think that TCP/IP should work without the phone having a sim card in it, but could that be part of the problem? Do I need to have a sim card for TCP/IP networking to work on the N9?

Any help here would be appreciated, and sorry for the length of this post!

Last edited by rdholder; 2012-02-26 at 23:00.

Hm, I disabled WPA on our wifi router, and I can ping the N9 now, so it looks like I must have encryption misconfigured, either on our router or on the N9. I'll look at that some more, but encryption has been working fine for all the rest of our hosts and devices.

I'm also getting "security certificate not trusted" popups for google... I seem to be able to get to some websites now, but not others from the N9. I can get to anything on the internet fine from our PCs... hm puzzling!

I'd like to resolve this because the N9 seems like an awesome phone, and I'd like to play with Qt development on it too! :-)

I created an account on store.ovi.com and I can login from my pc, but when I try to download fingerterm from the N9 browser, and enter my ovi.com account info, it says "Unknown error occurred -- check time settings."

I'm getting a sneaking feeling that putting a sim card in this phone might make a difference. Gotta check the old phone drawer and see if I have one lying around!...

Originally Posted by rdholder View Post

I would think that TCP/IP should work without the phone having a sim card in it, but could that be part of the problem? Do I need to have a sim card for TCP/IP networking to work on the N9?

Any help here would be appreciated, and sorry for the length of this post!
I have an N9 without SIM, works fine with numerous WiFi APs including N class, so you definitely don't need the SIM for TCP/IP to work.

You mentioned the blue wifi active icon, It's not staying blue is it? It only turns blue briefly while connecting, then it turns white when fully connected. If it stays blue I think that would mean it's contacted the AP but still working out a connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Another problem could come from the SPI firewall on the D-link 655, It has both an SPI and NAT firewall. Try temporarily turning off the SPI firewall to see if that helps, if that solves the problem, you can turn it back on and maybe look at the SPI logging on the d-link 655 to see if it offers any clues.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 491 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sydney
Sim card is no issue, running the n950 without sim on my Wifi for the last month.

My feeling is that there is the encryption issue between router and the device that is causing the problem. I had this too at one stage. Try using WEP momentarily to see if it is WPA causing the problem

Hit thanks if I have helped in some way, or you agree with me

Twitter
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Battery Widget
#OperationUnicorn
Harmoji - Emoji for Harmattan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N9 [Black] - Sailfish OS (1.x.x.xx)
N9 [White] - PR 1.3 [Stock]
N950 - Sailfish OS
Z10 LE - 10.2.1.1055
Dev Alpha C - 10.2.1.1055

The Following User Says Thank You to MFaroTusino For This Useful Post:
Thank you kindly for the replies! :-D

Wifi appears to be working now. On my hardware firewall/router, I changed encryption from auto-detect to WPA2-only and that seems to have done the trick.

I couldn't get into the ovi store, because it seems to want the sim card in. So I dug up our old iPhone that got dropped and bricked a couple years ago, and popped out the sim card. But the N9 takes microsim!

So a little googling and i found youtube videos for cutting an older, larger sim down to micro size. Got out the sheetmetal snips, and chopped that bad boy down, and on the first try I had it in backwards. But flipped it around, and the N9 went through the sim provisioning and ovi registration dialogs.

But I still couldn't get in to the ovi store to download fingerterm. It kept complaining of "Unknown error--check time settings." Using the deductive power I was able to summon by engaging my lazy brain, I went and checked the time settings and ah-ha! I had it set to Feb 26, 2011! So apparently the ovi store wants to see that the phone is sane with respect to the year before it will let it login.

I am now trying to download fingerterm. The download process starts, and I am not getting the error I was before, but the download never finishes. But that's OK, I'm hitting web pages now, can ping the N9. I am going to try turning on Developer mode, and maybe I will be able to ssh into the N9 now.

So it looks like my original problem is resolved! Yay! Thanks so much for the quick responses and helpful info from everybody who replied! Great community here! :-D

Last edited by rdholder; 2012-02-26 at 23:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdholder For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
I have an N9 without SIM, works fine with numerous WiFi APs including N class, so you definitely don't need the SIM for TCP/IP to work.

You mentioned the blue wifi active icon, It's not staying blue is it? It only turns blue briefly while connecting, then it turns white when fully connected. If it stays blue I think that would mean it's contacted the AP but still working out a connection.
Yes you are right, it was only staying blue a moment, and it is now white. Thanks for pointing that out! :-)

Originally Posted by rdholder View Post
Wifi appears to be working now. On my hardware firewall/router, I changed encryption from auto-detect to WPA2-only and that seems to have done the trick.
I wonder is your router still showing you connected at wireless N 2.4 Ghz or does it now show 5Ghz?

I think WPA2 is needed for 5Ghz mode to be available, so if you were using WPA previously, it might be a problem with the N9 and your router and 2.4Ghz mode wireless N.

Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
I wonder is your router still showing you connected at wireless N 2.4 Ghz or does it now show 5Ghz?

I think WPA2 is needed for 5Ghz mode to be available, so if you were using WPA previously, it might be a problem with the N9 and your router and 2.4Ghz mode wireless N.
It still says 2.4Ghz for this device. However there is some 802.11b device on there, maybe my old iPhone, so I will have to figure out what that older wifi device is. Maybe that is causing the WAP to degrade to a slower speed.

Still having trouble downloading apps from ovi... i get into the app store ok, and appear to be logged in, but when i try to download apps, the "busy" spinner just spins and never times out or completes.

But that could be a server side thing. My suspicion is that maybe because there is no phone number bound to this phone, that the app store isn't able to complete the download. But I'm off to look into adding this phone to our cel plan! Yeeha!

Thanks again for taking the time to help out pataphysician (and MFaroTusino also)!