Closed Thread
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
This is hilarious that there's no such feature on this forum, and that it can turn into such a huge issue.

Even the dreaded facebook has a way to at least make your account inactive. This forum is a fail.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Even the dreaded facebook has a way to at least make your account inactive.
How do you know that for sure?

I am ready to bet a largish sum of money that when you remove your facebook account it will leave a huge amount of your personal data in there for the company to mine and dine on.
(not that we could ever settle the result of that bet, without hacking into the inner DB's of FB...)

It might look to you like your account is gone for good but they are a company that lives on your data, do you really think they will ever let go of it??

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Is the forum still hosted on US soil or not? If not, IIRC EU law applies about the right to be forgotten.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
From the Privacy Policy, in the footer of each page:

Security, Review and Accuracy of Personal Information

Please note that while there are always risks associated with providing Personal Information, whether in person, by phone or over the Internet or any other media or terminal, and no system of technology is completely safe, "tamper" or "hacker-proof", Nokia has endeavored to take appropriate measures to prevent and minimize risks of unauthorized access to, improper use and the inaccuracy of your Per-sonal Information.

You have the right at any time to review any and all of your Personal Information stored by Nokia. Further, you have the right, at any time, to ask Nokia to remove some or all of your Personal Information and to prohibit Nokia or its third-party designees from using any Personal Information submitted by or collected from you.

Nokia will on its own initiative, or at your request, replenish, rectify or erase any incomplete, inaccurate or outdated Personal Information retained by Nokia in connection with the operation of the Site. To exercise these rights with respect to your Personal Information please contact webhost@maemo.org

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
From the Privacy Policy, in the footer of each page:
Funny. I didn't know that the privacy policy of talk.maemo.org referred to that of maemo.org. Now I do

Maemo.org was Nokia property. Now (at least the content, not the DNS or the trademark) it is owned by Hildon Foundation.

TALK.maemo.org was, AFAIK, was @Reggie's property. He donated it to the Hildon Foundation.

So perhaps the Hildon Foundation should write a new Nokia-independent policy.

The problem I now see is that the foundation's "Board" is a US non-profit organization, while the servers and the content is located in Hamburg (EU).

IANAL (nor want to be) but I hope this issue is addressed by the powers-that-(will)-be.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Australia Maaaaaaaaate
Or the requesting account deletion could just be allowed to die a natural death over a period of maybe 48 hours and all personal info deleted and all posts that contain the accounts holders avatar and threads/statements be replace with `deleted member` or something of similar wording,as has been presented previously,but must be correctly worded and a policy must be inplace before this can be observed.The company whom i`m employed by has been sued for not complying with such a simple request.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@ghost_who_walks, would there be one deleted member or many?

Depending on how posts are linked to the user (by name or by some unique id?), the former may not even be possible. And the latter is identical to @qwazix's suggestion.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Please allow me to explain,in a very condensed version,what occured at the company employing me.My employer,an international engineering company,set up a forum very similar to that of LinkedIn,to allow both employees to communicate with each other on a purely professional basis,ie;discussing and /or requesting help from other engineers within the company,around the globe.It works incredibly well,as it now allows skype,photo and movie uploading and live feeds.The orginal downfall was if any employee left,part of Human Resources work was to ensure he was locked out of the fourm,but his name and threads stayed inplace as if they were removed,any ongoing thread,it would cause disruption and fail to make any sense.Several years later,the former employee logged onto the forum thru another employees name,discovered,that his account had been locked down,but his threads remained and,thru a lawyer,discovered that these threads,though on company servers,remained his property.He decieded to take the company to court as they refused to comply with his written requests.The final outcome was all threads containing his name were to be completely deleted,leaving hundreds of threads ruined.The court refused the companies request to just change his name on threads to `******`,which was easy to comply with as the software allowed this,but the court ruled that `current users could still identify the previous employee/user by his answers`.The company spent 1.5 million to comply with the court order and was ordered to pay the previous employee a similar amount for `unspecified hardships`. So the Foundation,even though non-profit,must carefully deceide their next move.........

Last edited by ghost_who_walks; 2013-04-19 at 14:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to ghost_who_walks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Oops!
Now I've read the story, I think the other forum I left of asked me on deleting my account whether I also wanted to delete my posts. I clicked no.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Big Oops bro.....

Closed Thread