Active Topics

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
That is wrong in both DUN and PAN a device can be either a client or an internet provider.

If you want the N900 to access the internet through your N95 (N900 is DUN client), follow my instructions here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=434448&postcount=3
Can someone write a script or small application to automate the process, or even make the connection visible in the available networks dialog (like the N810)

Also, will wifi still work with this method?

Originally Posted by mrlanrat View Post
Can someone write a script or small application to automate the process, or even make the connection visible in the available networks dialog (like the N810)
I second this request, I am just not computer literate enough to feel confident about doing it on my own. I plan to get a N900, but I am waiting until I know I can reliably get internet on the N900 from my phone via BT, the same way I get it on my N810.

For whomever does this, drinks are on me at CES later this week......

Any update on this?

Checking again for any update for a prepackaged solution? I want to get the N900 but I want to get my internet from my Sprint phone.......and I can tell that those instructions are beyond my capabilities.

If someone is in the SF Bay Area and could do it for me, I'll buy you lunch.......

The Following User Says Thank You to rr0123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
why not just use joikuspot???? lol so much better

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I was going to say the same but I think he wants it the other way around - effectively to run joikuspot on his sprint phone and connect his N900 through that to the web.

That's how I read it anyway.

Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
I was going to say the same but I think he wants it the other way around - effectively to run joikuspot on his sprint phone and connect his N900 through that to the web.

That's how I read it anyway.
Correct; I want to use the Sprint phone as the internet source. As for joikuspot, I haven't tried it, but I have read that it is a serious battery hog. With just using BT DUN from my Sprint phone, I can get internet access for long periods of time without killing the battery.

Actually, setting up BT dun client is a bit simpler. Install the package bluetooth-dun-client from my repository, which installs all the files described in my post. You are left with a need to edit two files:

/etc/bluetootf/rfcomm.conf : Change the BT address in this file to the address of your phone.

/etc/ppp/chat/gprs.chat : change internet.pelephone,net.il to the name of the APN your provider uses. (This assumes using GPRS/UMTS. If you use another connection, such as CDMA, the file needs more editing).

After that you should have a connection called orange in your connection manager which connects to the internet through your phone.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Actually, setting up BT dun client is a bit simpler. Install the package bluetooth-dun-client from my repository, which installs all the files described in my post. You are left with a need to edit two files:

/etc/bluetootf/rfcomm.conf : Change the BT address in this file to the address of your phone.

/etc/ppp/chat/gprs.chat : change internet.pelephone,net.il to the name of the APN your provider uses. (This assumes using GPRS/UMTS. If you use another connection, such as CDMA, the file needs more editing).

After that you should have a connection called orange in your connection manager which connects to the internet through your phone.
I modified rfcomm.conf, but I do not see gprs.chat - In fact, I do not have a /etc/ppp dir at all. Am I missing a prerequisite?

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ San Diego, CA USA
Well, I used PC Suite to connect, and it worked, so that's good enough for now.