Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by natedog400 View Post
So plug phone in flash mode and run that code in flasher! Sounds easy peasy, i'll try it tonight n report back
Do a COMPLETE re-flash (rootfs+fiasco image), then post the console output.

Try booting.

Failing that enable R&D mode, then post the output.

Try booting.

Failing that the thing is probably fooked, however I find that hard to believe as it is extremely hard to brake one. (USB Whingers need not apply).

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I know there's a thousand threads about n900's not turning on bla bla blaaaaa. So please don't tell me to do a search because i've just spent the last hour doing so and found no answer. This n900 came from a friend who initially lost it, had another handset sent to him by voda and then he found the first handset again but never used it since. Anyway, my bird works for voda and she checked the imei number to see if its on their blacklist but it isn't.. So the problem.. phone switches on, Nokia appears on the screen followed by the dots, freezes then turns off. I've flashed both images like 10 times with no difference. Any idea's anyone?? The phone worked fine before it was lost so there's no reason it shouldn't work now right?
Thanks in advance
Can you be sure it is not on a blacklist somewhere because if your friend has reported the emei for instance to his insurance then it will probably found it's way to get blocked, this would have happened when the device was turned on and sent its "id", the symptoms do sound like a blocked device but if not it will be ok after a re-flash unless it has sustained component damage in its "lost" period.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Just FYI, flasher on Windows can't enable R&D Mode last I checked. You'd need to use a Linux distro's Live CD an run the Linux flasher from that.

ALSO, abill_uk: Have you ever talked to, or heard/read anyone mention, how their N900 acted when blacklisted? There is no way in hell I can see that logically fitting blacklisting - because the N900 can boot without a sim card and without a functional cellphone plan. (Just in case you are right - guy with the problem, can you try booting without the sim card inserted and see if it makes a difference?) He also said that they checked with Vodaphone already, and they don't have the IMEI blacklisted.

Do vi_'s suggestion please - post the output of the flasher. ALSO, try reflashing the bootloader. (I don't really know much on the subject of using flasher for that, though.)

Other than that, hardware damage is possible. You can also try to use framebuffer kernel, flash it onto the device using the --kernel flag on the kernel image, and see if you can tell what the problems are - if you get all the way to loading dots, framebuffer console SHOULD show you the errors (though it might take a bunch of tries at seeing the errors and reading them fully in the rapidly scrolling console output).

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Just FYI, flasher on Windows can't enable R&D Mode last I checked. You'd need to use a Linux distro's Live CD an run the Linux flasher from that.

ALSO, abill_uk: Have you ever talked to, or heard/read anyone mention, how their N900 acted when blacklisted? There is no way in hell I can see that logically fitting blacklisting - because the N900 can boot without a sim card and without a functional cellphone plan. (Just in case you are right - guy with the problem, can you try booting without the sim card inserted and see if it makes a difference?) He also said that they checked with Vodaphone already, and they don't have the IMEI blacklisted.

Do vi_'s suggestion please - post the output of the flasher. ALSO, try reflashing the bootloader. (I don't really know much on the subject of using flasher for that, though.)

Other than that, hardware damage is possible. You can also try to use framebuffer kernel, flash it onto the device using the --kernel flag on the kernel image, and see if you can tell what the problems are - if you get all the way to loading dots, framebuffer console SHOULD show you the errors (though it might take a bunch of tries at seeing the errors and reading them fully in the rapidly scrolling console output).
It was a suggestion that is all and you obviously do not know what happens when a phone is more or less bricked in these circumstances.
How do we know it has not been turned on long enough to sign on and do the hand shake because that is all it takes for the device to be blocked totally, never to work again if it is flagged like that.
Was only a suggestion OK.

And as you rightly said a re-flash will cure it if not flagged.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
It was a suggestion that is all and you obviously do not know what happens when a phone is more or less bricked in these circumstances.
How do we know it has not been turned on long enough to sign on and do the hand shake because that is all it takes for the device to be blocked totally, never to work again if it is flagged like that.
Was only a suggestion OK.

And as you rightly said a re-flash will cure it if not flagged.
Phones are different. Only some phones (if any) self-brick on finding out from the cell towers they're black-listed. (If they ever do. For all I know they just see a communication error with the cell tower on their end. That's something I'd need to look up in more detail before commiting to an opinion.)

But the point is, you have to actually think about the phones you're talking about. Some dumbphone is very likely to appear bricked when blacklisted - some might just fail to boot if they aren't able to connect to the network. But I don't think it would make sense to assume all phones self-brick just because they get a "you're blacklisted" event from a cell tower.

The ONLY posts I remember from a user who seemed to have their N900's IMEI blocked (a user named Zimon - you can look up more indepth info if you'd like, or search for others) said he could boot fine, just couldn't connect to the networks of some of the providers in his area, but could connect to some other networks.

Also, if the starter of this thread lives in the USA, carriers never IMEI blacklist, based on what I've heard. (Verizon does, but that's for CDMA network equivalents of the IMEI, which isn't relevant since the N900 doesn't connect to CDMA anyway.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Yes you very very right there as i have found also same as you as some will boot and some won't so i can only guess it is the level of "blocking", imei flagging can have different effects on even same model devices, weird isnt it.
I could go a lot deeper into this because of the work i used to do but i don't think this is the place for that, suffice to say emei is the key and once you turn that around you get results .

But as you rightly said it is most likely only a re-flash it needs hopefully.

I am waiting for the end result from the op and hope it is good news.

Anyhow thanyou for your comments as i do also read many of your very intellectual posts hehehe and enjoy too.

Originally Posted by jvollmann View Post
To change to R&D mode you need to have flasher installed and run:

In linux:
flasher-3.5 --enable-rd-mode

In windows
flasher-3.5.exe --enable-rd-mode

In case it boots up in this mode, you should take a look to this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...82#post1047282
Well it boots up in r&d mode but its saying the batterys flat and won't charge? Put it back in normal mode and won't boot, So i've flashed both fiasco and emmc in r&d mode, and no difference. I assume its fixable as at least it boots up now. So what next?

The Following User Says Thank You to natedog400 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post

Sounds like you know your stuff! Unfortunatly i don't
I'd try everything you've said but wouldn't know how? All i can do is flash the fiasco and emmc, thats as far as my intelligance goes. But there has been some progress as it boots in r&d mode whatever that is
It most definatly isn't on voda's blacklist like i said earlier and i live in the uk and the device seems to work fine in r&d mode except it won't charge and says the batterys flat when it isn't. I've just tried my tmobile sim in it and it picks up the network no problem too. What else can i try guys??

The Following User Says Thank You to natedog400 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Venezuela
Well, it appears that you have the exact same problem as me... Take a look to this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63259

Maybe you could explain there what happened to the device: did you overclocked it? have an accident, maybe water or it just fell?

I appreciate your comments to see if we could solve this! For now, it seems to be a battery monitor/state damage...

The Following User Says Thank You to jvollmann For This Useful Post:
Sounds like you know your stuff!
I'm always surprised by people thinking that.

... and the device seems to work fine in r&d mode except it won't charge and says the batterys flat when it isn't. I've just tried my tmobile sim in it and it picks up the network no problem too. What else can i try guys?? ...
Hmm... I THINK you have the same problem jvollmann had. It might actually be literally just a battery and/or battery chip problem. Read through the thread here (Edit: I think jvollmann just beat me to posting the link), and try to use the modified getbootstate Estel provided (you need root access, obviously - so boot up in R&D Mode, get the relevant file [if you don't know how to compile it see if jvollmann can just send you his copy, and if he can't ask me and I'll compile it for you]), then follow the steps to replace the N900's /sbin/getbootstate. Then turn off device, use flasher to disable R&D mode (but don't reflash) and see if it'll boot.

If you want help with the frambuffer kernel too, let me know and I'll write up more detailed instructions when I get the chance.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-07-29 at 21:32. Reason: jvollmann posted while I was, linking to the same place.