Does anyone out there know if we can expect official support for 16GB SDHC cards in the n800 with the final version of OS 2008? I can't imagine why Nokia wouldn't support the largest capacity cards available, as it only increases the appeal of the n800. Ideally I would like to plug in two 16GB cards but don't want to spend the money if they might not work (though I have read that they worked for some people). On the other hand, I don't want to waste my money on 8GB cards only to find out later that 16GB will be supported.

Also, Patriot seems to be one of the only companies selling 16GB SDHC cards. I'm not familiar with the company. Does anyone know if their cards have been tested by any of the IT gurus out there? In other words, can anyone vouch for their quality?

Cheers,
Adam

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
I've used (or rather am using) 2 of their 2G's right now for camera's and I've also used other versions of their stuff without a problem. I've not yet had any unusual problems beyond a single case of infant mortality, which was quickly rma'd.

specifically on the 16GB I've not yet seen anyone doing an real test of them. Toms has mentioned them but not reviewed. Sorry I can't be of more specific help. But since the patriot cards I've used all had lifetime warranties and the one rma I did was fast. I'm comfortable with their products.

Now performance wise. Kinston and sandisk cards I've used do seem a bit faster, but most of what I do (file storage, music listening etc.) isn't that time critical.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It's more likely than not that 16Gb (even 32Gb) SDHC cards are supported by OS2007/OS2008.

Official, I dont know. Unofficial, I have a patriot 16GB SDHC in my removable slot and an 8GB transcend in the internal slot and beta OS 2008 registers full capacity on both cards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sentinel1705 For This Useful Post:
There's _nothing_ in the Linux kernel on the Nokia that prevents the use of 16GB cards (or 32GB cards when they become available). As far as the kernel is concerned you can have much much larger cards than that too. The reason only 8GB is "officially supported" is presumably simply because of normal CYA business tactics - what's officially supported is what's been tested. (Which is not a bad tactic, per se.)

The problem with large cards would in any case be on the application level. Does the file manager support more than 2GB files, for example? (All the built-in standard Linux applications do, btw. E.g. 'ls', 'mv' and the like. But a thing like a specially written GUI app might not.) Can the file manager format cards in the proper FAT32 format for these cards? And so on. And that hurdle was really cleared already when 4GB cards were supported, because 2GB is typically the first limit you run into from a programming perspective (a signed integer goes up to 2^31). Finally, when SDHC and 8GB cards are supported there aren't any hurdles left, really.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post: