Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I'd like to aquire a separate bluetooth GPS reciever so the HowTo can be specific in it's use as well. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with hands on experience with a bluetooth GPS reciever.
I have a bluetooth GPS receiver. Do any specific questions come to mind? I'll keep your request in mind when I go through your HowTo.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I have a bluetooth GPS receiver. Do any specific questions come to mind? I'll keep your request in mind when I go through your HowTo.
For the most I'm looking for what the user has to do different in Maemo Mapper when using a bluetooth GPS reciever vs the internal one. The configuration is pretty strait forward. I do have questions about A-GPS and the external reciever. For example, can I still use A-GPS or must it be disabled? Have I suggested anything for internal GPS operation that would prevent the external from working? I'm thinking that operation with an external bluetooth GPS is the same for the N800 and the N810. I don't have an N800 to experiment with.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Today, I took my first long distance trip since acquiring the n810 a few months ago. Total distance one way was 159 miles -hah!. Just over the 150 miles required to re-adjust A-GPS. I was pretty nervous and had printed directions just in case.

Before I left home this morning, I "Updated Cache" in A-GPS, and within a few minutes I had a GPS lock. The previous night I had downloaded maps for the destination city. I must say, Maemo Mapper worked wonderfully. Twice for about 10 seconds each, it lost signal close to the destination and I panicked a bit. Otherwise, the trip was a resounding success.

During the drive, I tethered my Sprint Palm Centro using USBModem with Bluetooth, and my son was online in the car! It was great, even though he complained about the speed. I even managed to download maps for parts of the city I didn't already have.

Before I left for the return journey, I tethered again in order to re-set A-GPS. I tried several times but could not Update Cache - I don't know why. This worried me a little. However, a few minutes after starting MM, I had a signal and all was well with the world.

For anybody on the fence getting a n810, I have absolutely no regrets!
Thanks to all for helpful posts, especially fragos

Has anybody successfully got A-GPS to cache over Bluetooth?

Tags
howto, maemo mapper