Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by miwalter View Post
Used the phone to make a call
found it! phone calls reset it to 600Mhz.
I have no idea why the telephone app does that.
I'll check whether replacing 600 with 601MHz will ignore such requests.
(a frequency that does not exist in scaling_available_frequencies should be ignored)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
From what I understand the problem with overclocking is the extra voltage fries the cpu
No extra voltage. N900 runs at MAX voltage at stock 600MHz and I don't know the way to increase it more.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Ive been using the 125-900 kernel and had NO issues with it.
It has always been using 125 Mhz when idling and 500-900 when used.
Tried Titan's kernel now and the battery life seems to be a good piece shorter with 250-900 IMHO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaRocks For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
Would it be possible to write an app to force a scale down if the cpu was overclocked for more than X cycles?
e.g. if it was stuck at say 800MHz for more than 0.5 sec then force the max to 600Mhz, once it calms down again put the max back to 800MHz.
If start discussing kernel changes then I think it has a BIG sense to stop any overclocking if screen is locked. Moreover, it may have sense to restrict frequency and voltage even more - it would save much more battery.

Of course, if pulseaudio is active it should return back to 600MHz.

Originally Posted by titan View Post
found it! Phone calls reset it to 600mhz.
yyyyeeeeeessssssssssssss

i have use the 125-800 kernel and what i suddenly see is that syslogd logs enormous amount of data.
I really have to stop the daemon now because else it fills up flash in no time.

Originally Posted by michalurban View Post
Interesting thing - when I use that kernel, which is able to scale from 125-1200 (from Titan, I think, scaling up to 900) and is capable of getting info from scaling_min a scaling_max files ... the power consumtion is much higher then in the case of the original 125-900 kernel. When I charge my nokia in the evening, enable ICQ and go to sleep, in case of 125-1200 (scaling up to 900) the line in BatteryGraph is much steeper than in the second case ...
See my post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1406 for explanations.

Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
can a CPU guru answer me a question plz? what i want to know is what stresses a CPU more, running at max frequency or maxing the usage of the CPU to 100%?
Both - depends from chip design.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Those are obviously connected issues. You overlooked voltage, which is the real cause of the damage. The way the CPU works, it jumps to a higher voltage to make sure that the highest CPU setting is stable, and the setting for the highest voltage on the N900 is already "overclocked" in the sense that it is known to reduce operating life.
Flandry, this N900 works on highest CPU voltage with 600MHz anyway. There is no way to increase it even more for higher frequencies (at least I don't know).

Originally Posted by mrp View Post
a loot of pages to read for this information, so I'm asking here now. Where can I get fiasco-flasher? Not found in my N900
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1142

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom