Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by briand View Post
used furor: +1
used jib-jab (hyphenated, shortened "jibber jabber", presumably): +1
failed to use yammering: -2
Looks like I broke even. Works for me!

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Well? Doesn't this mean I have shamed you into doing just what you say needs to be done? :-)
Looking into it now.. I downloaded the xprint debian source package. A quick initial look indicates that this possibly has to built together with the xserver (I mean it's part of the xserver source and maybe it won't work with anything else than the one it's built with) .. I'm not certain. The xserver on the NIT is xserver-xomap, what I can't tell from its Description is if it's based on XFree86 or xorg. I'm almost certain however that someone else here on ITT is more familiar with xserver-xomap than I am, because I remember from far back that someone fiddled with recompiling it (well, maybe that discussion took place on the maemo-developers' list actually).

Anyway, I'll give it a go (the standard Debian xprint) just to see what happens.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2008-04-16 at 16:29. Reason: updated posting

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
For all furor over printing over the past week or so, I've yet to see an enhancement request for network printing support over at bugzilla. If you really want to bring this to the attention of the people who can make changes, then file the enhancement request and vote on it!

All the jib-jab in the world over here wont get you as far as bugzilla will.
I usually wait till after I've learned what it is I really want before I request an enhancement.

Oftentimes, others here (including the present company) keep me realistic in my wishes.

And, no fibbing, I did think about bugzilla when I put up this post and decided to wait a day or two before headint that way, to add an enhancement request or vote for an existing one. (If there is one.)

First I make a big fuss. Then I put in my slip. Just one more thing that makes me more "user" than "maker," I guess.

Roger

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
For all furor over printing over the past week or so, I've yet to see an enhancement request for network printing support over at bugzilla.
Are you sure about that?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
Are you sure about that?
Nice start, but it should be an enhancement request (current functionality isn't broken, we want new functionality—fixed). Requests should generally be more specific (you don't want to make the developer guess at what you want, and more specific stuff tends to have a better chance of getting integrated). I went for network printing, as this is the most logical area to focus on for the platform (Print to PDF should probably have been mentioned, too).

Anyway, I went ahead and confirmed it for you, now everybody interested needs to vote.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Nice start, but it should be an enhancement request (current functionality isn't broken, we want new functionality—fixed). Requests should generally be more specific (you don't want to make the developer guess at what you want, and more specific stuff tends to have a better chance of getting integrated). I went for network printing, as this is the most logical area to focus on for the platform (Print to PDF should probably have been mentioned, too).

Anyway, I went ahead and confirmed it for you, now everybody interested needs to vote.
OK, thanks. The bugtracker is not the most intuitive type in the world is it!
Anyway it is there now. It probably isn't going to get added, but as you say, it stands no chance getting added if noone asks.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Er, didn't we add at least 3 (if not 4) packages (we = folks here at ITT) to enable printing from the NITs? During the last few months? Penguinbait made a full bells-and-whistles CUPS package, I added a small LPRNG (BSD LPR New Generation) package, someone else made something else etc. These can all print to a remote printer (what we can't do is to easily add a physical printer directly to the NIT.. I don't think I wish to either..)

Of course, the NIT version of the standard software in OS200[5678] doesn't usually have a 'print' option in their menus, but if you just recompile some desktop application they may, except that:

What we may have to get running on the NITs though is the 'xprint' package, which provides a common method for applications to create printable output (which can then be fed to any of the abovementioned printing applications - they all provide an 'lpr' command).

(Without xprint but with only the current printing packages you can still print, if you have the file in a printable format already.)

I built CUPS as a standalone package to install on IT (2007 OS), and it was made into a deb. I did not repackage this for 2008 since there was nothing that could actually print to it in Maemo. It is however included in KDE, and using KDE you can print webpages, docs, spreadsheets, pictures, pdf's or just about anything..
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

I know it doesn't count but I print from RDesktop all the time.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Oh holy cow-- I want that font program!

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Penguinbait's CUPS system works great in 2008. I used it (without KDE) for text files, pdfs, photos. It prints multiple pages on a sheet, booklets, etc. All features that I used regularly with Windows.

If you install KDE you need to remove CUPS but KDE will put it back in.

The bottom line is that we HAVE printing. It works really well. BUT since it isn't "official" people are leaving print functionality out of their app builds.

Printing is one of the few features that need to be official (vs. community installable). Otherwise applications won't support it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceL For This Useful Post: