Active Topics

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by hw9xx View Post
Really? Nokia is updating Qt 4.7.4 phones like 701 or N8 to Qt 4.8 with Belle. Should be possible on the N9 too I think.
Qt minor releases (4.0 -> 4.8) are all binary compatible. Meaning an application built against 4.0 will be runnable against 4.8. Note that this doesn't go backwards.

Major releases (3 -> 4, 4 -> 5) are not binary compatible. At the very least, they need a rebuild - but major releases also usually break API in some forms. 4 -> 5 is a fairly minor case of that though, so stuff mostly will just work with a rebuild.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Is there a way at this moment to install qt5 on N9?
There was that snowshoe repo but it's offline for a while now.

The Following User Says Thank You to pishta74 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Also interested in this - Qt 5 (5.1+) is one of the two main pre-requsites for running the new QtQuick 2.0 based modRana graphical interface. The second on is Python 3.2+. Once both are available PyOtherSide can be built and the interface should run.

As for how it looks like and what it can do, check the Sailfish OS modRana package, which is using the QtQuick 2.0 interface by default.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: