Active Topics

I made a customized checkinstall-rpm for SailfishOS which should work out of the box. Checkinstall is actually a little deprecated and needed some love to build. However, I got it working now and never run into problems with my recent builds.
Here you go: https://openrepos.net/content/inte/checkinstall
Feedback welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to inte For This Useful Post:
I move my message from openrepos to here that I guess its easier that it is read by someone:

Very interesting tool!! Have you checked it inside SailfishOS or inside merSDK?

I am getting all the time this error (it does not find the new files, and thus, the rpm is empty):

Code:
[...]
======================== Installation successful ==========================
cp: cannot stat `/var/tmp/tmp.qdPVQ10699/newfiles.tmp': No such file or directory

Copying files to the temporary directory...OK

Stripping ELF binaries and libraries...OK

Compressing man pages...OK

Building file list... FAILED!
cat: /var/tmp/tmp.qdPVQ10699/newfiles: No such file or directory
I have been checking different things and two different apps without succes. Make install (without using checkinstall) is working fine.

I am using it inside of the SB2 of MerSDK as root. If I use it without root user it complains about permissions, because it is installing the program at the same time than trying to build the rpm (not the usual behaviour --despite the install option-- in my previous experience with checkinstall in debian)

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
"CheckInstall is a computer program for Unix-like operating systems which eases the installation and uninstallation of software compiled from source by making use of package management systems. After software compilation it can automatically generate a Slackware-, RPM-, or Debian-compatible package that can later be cleanly uninstalled through the appropriate package manager."

When I install something from openrepos I am often wondering how to uninstall it.

Am I reading correctly that checkinstall might show me the packages that are installed with a certain program on openrepos and weither those packages are used only by this program and that in that case they can be removed?

Because that is something I think I would need.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
"CheckInstall is a computer program for Unix-like operating systems which eases the installation and uninstallation of software compiled from source by making use of package management systems. After software compilation it can automatically generate a Slackware-, RPM-, or Debian-compatible package that can later be cleanly uninstalled through the appropriate package manager."

When I install something from openrepos I am often wondering how to uninstall it.

Am I reading correctly that checkinstall might show me the packages that are installed with a certain program on openrepos and weither those packages are used only by this program and that in that case they can be removed?

No, this tool is for developers
You need this command:
Code:
for i in $(ssu lr 2>&1 | grep openrepos- | cut -d" "  -f3); do zypper search -i -r $i ; done

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post

and for removing a particular package i guess you can use zypper remove package and itd remove the package installed files.

checkinstall is supposed to be used instead of make install so that a deb or rpm package is produced instead of installing the app after compiling it (that's a typical use not the only one )

The Following User Says Thank You to antviro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, España
In most cases, you can remove the package by simply going back to the Warehouse app, finding and uninstalling the app.

`pkcon remove 'package'` works just as well. I prefer to remove via Warehouse, where I originally installed it from.

The Following User Says Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post: