Posts: 43 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2011 @ /dev/ttyS0
A hwkb phone with no home screen support for landscape? That's just weird. It's like forcing someone to watch their widescreen tv on its side.... it's not the natural orientation.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by dragly View Post
Hmm... Seems I've been unlucky. I got a few duplicates after the sync, so I decided to clear the device to start off fresh. That sadly bricked it, and flashing it ends with the following error after a successful "erase", but unsuccessful copying of images:

So I guess I'll have to wait before I can test more.

To the questions that I had time to test: There is no landscape mode in the home screens, but most applications seem to have it implemented. The transition is flawless and quick.

The N950 does not seem to have a HDMI-port, only the 3.5mm jack which I suppose also delivers TV-out, although I haven't tested.

Edit: If someone else should encounter the same error, it seems like this is because the firmware version available online is older than the one shipped with the device. A downgrade is for some reason not allowed.
Downgrades were not really allowed on the N900 either. They had a habit of disabling something, like the PR1.2 update on the N900 that disabled the cellular firmware if you tried to downgrade to PR1.1.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by morbid View Post
A hwkb phone with no home screen support for landscape? That's just weird. It's like forcing someone to watch their widescreen tv on its side.... it's not the natural orientation.
That is kind of funny though, the N900 home screen canīt be rotated from landscape. Itīs next generation cousins the N9 and the N950 canīt rotate from portrait.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Downgrades were not really allowed on the N900 either. They had a habit of disabling something, like the PR1.2 update on the N900 that disabled the cellular firmware if you tried to downgrade to PR1.1.
In a way it makes sense that downgrades are disabled if they change other firmware parts than previous ones did. I.e. that the changes are not reverted. It's just a shame that the newest firmware is not available online when it is already on the device.

I'll be patient, though. I guess the newest version will be available in a few days. I'll just play with the hinge mechanism in the meantime.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland
To help prepare for the publishing of apps for the Nokia N9 smartphone, a limited number of developer kits have been produced using the Nokia N950 phone. This phone has a pre-release version of software for the Nokia N9 and some minor hardware differences, for example the Nokia N950 doesn’t provide NFC features. The Nokia N950 Developer Kit is available to qualifying Nokia Developer Launchpad members who have published apps to Ovi Store, or have started to develop their apps using Qt. If you wish to obtain one of these kits, please send your request to: nokia.developer.launchpad@nokia.com. The deadline for submitting requests is 31 July 2011.

Poor n950 fans , they still believe it will get released on market .

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n950-reviews-3997.php

Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
Poor n950 fans , they still believe it will get released on market .

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n950-reviews-3997.php
So how can we get our hands on one if it isn't? Do we have to wait for someone to post it on ebay?

I really want to hold out for an N950 but I don't mean to be holding my breath on it.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by Goliath27 View Post
So how can we get our hands on one if it isn't? Do we have to wait for someone to post it on ebay?

I really want to hold out for an N950 but I don't mean to be holding my breath on it.

Don't.

Ain't gonna happen...

... Unless you qualify as a Nokia Developer (Nokia decides whether your prior applications/contributions suffice and/or your apps are worthy to developed on the N950). In short, if you are wondering if you should wait for one popping up on ebay, you're not "it". Buy the N9 (if you are so inclined) and after 2 years you might have something to upgrade to, maybe even w/ hwkb - knowing Nokia, you probably won't.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
Don't.

Ain't gonna happen...

... Unless you qualify as a Nokia Developer (Nokia decides whether your prior applications/contributions suffice and/or your apps are worthy to developed on the N950). In short, if you are wondering if you should wait for one popping up on ebay, you're not "it". Buy the N9 (if you are so inclined) and after 2 years you might have something to upgrade to, maybe even w/ hwkb - knowing Nokia, you probably won't.
I hate you

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
That's a bit odd, since I love myself.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Tags
gimme, plz lemme buy, take my money!, want noa!!