Originally Posted by qole View Post
Maemo stores a fair share of the system settings in the /home/user directory. If any of the settings directories get damaged or erased, it could be problematic. Also, using a Debian version of a product also available in Maemo (for instance, a Mozilla product that uses ~/.mozilla) might cause interference by changing settings to something that the Maemo version will crash with.

Nothing really serious has ever happened to me, and I've got my chroot open most of the time, but theoretically, it could.
Hi Qole,

Been trying out EasyDebian since last week, I was already impressed with this before I read this thread all the way through.. now I'm blown away with the possibilitiesl

Summarising, (sorry if this is going off the current topic but there was a lot to read) I think removing IceWeasel and installing Firefox instead would be more beneficial. With some of the limitations in the mail client, Thunderbird would also be a welcome addition. Adding networking / samba to access network shares would help enormously in file transfer! I do think that an app to help create Maemo desktop shortcuts to Debian apps would help newbies like myself.

I'm happy to try the test versions of this as and when they become available, so i uninstalled EasyDebian and Easy chroot.
Now I'm trying to reinstall easy-deb-chroot from extras-testing and it says it's not installable - missing package 'bzip2'
Is this something I need to download separately? If so could anyone give me a step-by-step guide on howto do this?

You're working on a really great project here, and I'd like to help it succeed in any small way I can.

Last edited by [DarkGUNMAN]; 2010-01-27 at 09:30.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] View Post
I think removing IceWeasel and installing Firefox instead would be more beneficial. With some of the limitations in the mail client, Thunderbird would also be a welcome addition.
there is no "Firefox" in Debian, due to licensing issues. Iceweasel is Firefox, and Thunderbird is called "Icedove" in Debian.

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceweasel

Is this something I need to download separately? If so could anyone give me a step-by-step guide on howto do this?
you need to run the "Debian Image Installer" from the menu, after you've installed easy-deb-chroot. this will download the needed rootfs-file for easy debian.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
I cant get some programs to start under Chroot. I installed them with synaptic. They run well under Easy Debian , but i cant find out how to make them run under Chroot.
Mixxx for example works wounderfull in both. 2 other apps start perfekt in the Easy Debian Terminal, but Chroot dont find them.
What did i do wrong ?

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
you need to run the "Debian Image Installer" from the menu, after you've installed easy-deb-chroot. this will download the needed rootfs-file for easy debian.
Sorry, forgot to add...the icon for "Debian Image Installer" is not in the menu. The only one i can find after installing easy_chroot is 'Close Debian'.
I can't install easy-deb-chroot. This only appears in extras-testing repo

Strange.. I updated the 'Extra Decoders' package, afterwards I tried installing easy-deb-chroot, and the bzip2 error was gone. now installed correctly.

Guess the update resolved the dependancy issue.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Missouri, USA
I'm sorry if this was answered before, I tried asking this before in this thread but I got no reply.

I would like to know how to use a big partition (4GB~6GB) in the SD card instead of the image file to use Easy-Debian.
I'm planning to create the ext3 partition using gparted in ubuntu. Is that the recommended way?

I looked at this post and it looks that I have to create an ext3 partition card and then create a /.debian folder and then modify the .chroot config file after installing "easy-deb-chroot". (The post refers to a partition on the MyDocs partition, does it work with an SD card?)

Is that it? Does running the application mounts the partition automatically then?

Any more steps or suggestions?
Thanks,

Hi,
Does Easy Debian take advantage of the n900's PowerVR SGX 530 GPU and 430MHz C64x+ DSP apart from the 600 MHz ARM Cortex-A8 CPU?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
AFAIK There is nothing that is inherently preventing Debian stuff using the GPU or the DSP, however, hardly any of the thousands of apps are compiled with support for those (as ARM Debian is far more generic than just OMAP processors). Except if by GPU you mean X, as it can transparently use any X extension which is available...

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Qole,

Small oddity. My remapping of the sterling, euro and cursor keys while working fine in Hildon are not fully functional in easy debian -- the cursor key remaps do not work, ie., Fn-Up, etc. I think I'll play with xbindkeys to try to get more reliable key remapping for easy debian.

--denis

Edit 1/30/09: Though, these PC_FN_LEVEL2 mappings work fine for Maemo, it turns out they are accessible on Easy Debian by shifting the Cursor keys... and not via Fn as they should. Wonder why?

Playing anew with xev / xmodmap under Easy Debian, I discovered that it is possible to get functional FOUR_LEVEL mappings. As a test, I did:

Code:
xmodmap -e "keycode 108 = Mode_switch"
xmodmap -e "keysym period = period colon question questiondown"
and the 4th level character ("¿") is actually available by pressing both Fn + shift simultaneously!

With this working, it should be possible to develop more flexible keyboard maps for use within the Easy Debian environment.

FOUR_LEVEL key mappings should work also in the rx51 keyboard configuration file for Maemo... but other than for characters that have a shifted state, I can't get them to work!

Xmodmap for Fremantle still doesn't work with the PR1.1 update. Something is broken with the keyboard remapping API that xmodmap uses with Fremantle's X11 server. Please vote on the open bug.

Last edited by delaroca; 2010-01-30 at 19:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lissone, Italy
Anyone can tell me how can I install wine on easy debian?

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze