Active Topics

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
did anyone test it on this kernel? "it compiled" isn't really a test.
OC/UC, OV/UV works.

K+ users beware that I don't personally use this on a daily basis for a number of reasons though!

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
OC/UC, OV/UV works.

K+ users beware that I don't personally use this on a daily basis for a number of reasons though!
So can you just confirm me that kernel-plus supports undervolting at stock clock? Thank you

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
IIRC the minimum voltage is at the bottom of the slider range in the Opptimizer UI, however you can write any voltage and frequency target you want into /proc/opptimizer.

Dragons beware!

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Kernel plus opptimizer version is 1.5.3, cant 1.5.4? Because it always show update in opptimizer ui when startup

1.5.3 is the latest module version source on Bitbucket.

I managed to undervolt my N9 to 1.075 V (at 1ghz stock clock). I had to disable SmartReflex CPU in order to go below stock voltage.
I can also reach 1150 mhz with 1.1875 V (my stock voltage).
Pretty good I think .

Originally Posted by gipawu View Post
I had to disable SmartReflex CPU in order to go below stock voltage.
You've probably used up more battery power by shutting down SmartReflex than what you save by moving the OPP Voltage Target.

SmartReflex is calibrated at production, and on the OMAP3630 HS as used on the N9/50, SR Class 3 automatically targets the lowest voltage possible when enabled. It also shuts down unused portions of the SoC to save power.

Undervolting is pretty much moot - it had some impact back on the N900, but on the N9/50 it's pointless.

I do not know if the SmartReflex values on the N9/50 are calibrated for frequencies beyond 1000MHz, but if they were, it should keep working (at least until the highest factory clock speed OMAP3630 goes to - 1200MHz)

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
You've probably used up more battery power by shutting down SmartReflex than what you save by moving the OPP Voltage Target.

SmartReflex is calibrated at production, and on the OMAP3630 HS as used on the N9/50, SR Class 3 automatically targets the lowest voltage possible when enabled. It also shuts down unused portions of the SoC to save power.

Undervolting is pretty much moot - it had some impact back on the N900, but on the N9/50 it's pointless.

I do not know if the SmartReflex values on the N9/50 are calibrated for frequencies beyond 1000MHz, but if they were, it should keep working (at least until the highest factory clock speed OMAP3630 goes to - 1200MHz)
Thank you for your reply, I'll do some tests to see if undervolting is worth or not.

I've done some tests, with undervolting the current consumption in load is slightly reduced, but in idle is increased, so you are right, SmartReflex disables some parts of the soc when they are not used. However I think undervolting is worthing during heavy cpu load (e.g. games).

The Following User Says Thank You to gipawu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
I have been following this thread since the beginning, but have yet to overclock my N9 because FasterN9 has taken care of most of my lag problems. There are two instances, however, where I do have some lag and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with overclocking helping in those areas.
1.) When my events screen updates, the first time I scroll through the new posts it stutters (once I have scrolled through once it no longer stutters).
2.) My keyboard is sometimes slow to pop up in the messaging app.
3.) System slow down with incoming messages or calls.

Has anyone had these issues before overclocking, and no longer has them after overclocking?