Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Definately something wrong here.

Open programs: Firefox Android, Dolphin Android, Calculator (sorry Jolla bit I prefer this one to stay on displaying latest operations), IRC, OwnKeepass, phone application.

Trying to open: Space Inspector 0.4

Result: 3 times fail, application quits durimg start up

Solution: Quit Dolphin and Firefox -> Space Inspector starts.

I d consider my device as clean. No Dev mode, no patches, no hacks.

Don't have a pc to tweak settings as suggested and seriously, we should not have to.tweake anything.
Hardcore multitasking was and should remain available.

I don't believe in average Joe needing auto closing apps and play hunt for.the icon to.relaunch your app over and.over again is.not something I am willing to.coop with.

Does any HW guru present knows if it.could be that the previous swapping configuration was wearing the internal.memory too fast and that Jolla there for took such extreme countermeasures?

Just a guess based on the assumptiom that the .sailors tested the.new cconfig, did.not.like.it.either but released it anyway.

Apologies for spelling, learning to.post on.Jolla. Keyb not bad but damn small space bar.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
This probably could of all been avoided with more ram...But realistically, I didn't actually have an issue beforehand with apps and ram management

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
This probably could of all been avoided with more ram...But realistically, I didn't actually have an issue beforehand with apps and ram management
Same here, and being a sensible N900 user I did not expect the Jolla to back down under equal conditions.

Shhhht.. got a 12 program multitask going, don't move and take screenshot...

Name:  20141226205432.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  40.9 KB

Try to upload via Jolla browser.. damn, 'close this window' doesn't work. and I lost my text and a few open programs along the way?

Name:  20141226210453.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  43.3 KB

Never mind, let's continue the multitasking test. Bring on the big cannons, Firefox for Android:

Name:  20141226210709.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  51.5 KB

Not too many open programs left from the initial bunch.. Is this 2014?

To save myself some stress I retype this text and upload image (including one taken from the N900 as I found it, uptime 15 days) via MicroB on my trusty N900.
Wow what a relief selecting images to upload via the stylus and using HW arrow keys to navigate text. Swirl zoom to enlarge that drop down button.. sweet, let it be 2010. =)
Me nor N900 care about how many open programs including skype and SIP online it has exactly.

Name:  20141226_002.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  33.9 KB

Edit: forgot the conclusion.
The N900 is the closest thing resembling a computer in my luggage and neither Kindle Fire or Jolla or the combo of those two could replace it and offer the same overal convenience of ussage.

Jolla just undid the best argument I could come up with as to why use the Jolla. Multitasking unlimited.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2014-12-26 at 15:07.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
This probably could of all been avoided with more ram...
More RAM??? Whatever the hell for!? My main PC, running Debian Wheezy, 1 GB RAM and no swap, idle with just the OS, background processes and SysMon running, uses 140 MB RAM. My Jolla, allegedly optimised for running on low resources, uses 420 MB in the same configuration. HOW COME???

It's not more RAM we need. It's less bloat.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
More RAM??? Whatever the hell for!? My main PC, running Debian Wheezy, 1 GB RAM and no swap, idle with just the OS, background processes and SysMon running, uses 140 MB RAM. My Jolla, allegedly optimised for running on low resources, uses 420 MB in the same configuration. HOW COME???

It's not more RAM we need. It's less bloat.
I'd assume that isn't running GNOME 3 or similar but something very light. It also doesn't need to have a virtual keyboard daemon available at all times, no SIM stuff, no phone call or messaging UI (both stay in memory), no tracker (assuming you don't have tracker installed), etc. These are all small things but they add up quickly. Of course, there are also some background processes a phone doesn't need that a desktop computer does.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I'd assume that isn't running GNOME 3 or similar but something very light.
That's right, you would not catch me touching that stuff. LXDE for me, please

If phone + messaging + keyboard daemons add up to 300 MB, then something is seriously wrong. And no, phone and messaging UI do not need to run all the fime, just thin daemons. Old "dumb" phones managed calls and SMS better and with RAM counted in kilobytes.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I'd assume that isn't running GNOME 3 or similar but something very light. It also doesn't need to have a virtual keyboard daemon available at all times, no SIM stuff, no phone call or messaging UI (both stay in memory), no tracker (assuming you don't have tracker installed), etc. These are all small things but they add up quickly. Of course, there are also some background processes a phone doesn't need that a desktop computer does.
Also the overall data throughput is much faster on a desktop PC - so no heavy programs start almost instantly. But due to the quite slow EMMC on the Jolla if you want things to show up at once, you basically need to preload them to RAM or cope with a loading delay in the range of seconds..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by synt View Post
I didnt mean disabling zram, but just removing the old zramcfg from Warehouse if you had it installed in Uitukka.

Here is swapon show with the old unofficial zramcfg installed in Vaarainjärvi:

http://aijaa.com/2FG9he

Here its removed:

http://aijaa.com/RXcecY

The latter case works MUCH better for me, the Jolla now multitasks better than ever and I don't see the problems people are talking about here.
Oh, that's a good point! :-) Quite a lot of people were using the earlier "community" zram, so the old config could be breaking things for the official one. Still, I don't see much difference - the "official" config appears to be using an even smaller overall size of the zram volumes, but I guess the big difference in the priority values might influence the OOM killer somewhat.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Same problem here, with a few small apps (mail/sms/contacts/media player/tweetian) when I use the browser (Android's firefox, or the native one)...

This also kills the point of active covers : "look, you can interact with apps without having to open them, saving a few gestures", if you need to search for the app in the application drawer, then wait for it to reload, switch back to the home screen, to finally interact with its cover...
On this widgets have the benefit to never disappear, even if the application has been closed (manually or by the system), along with the fixed position (easier to memorize and find back) but it is another discussion...

I wonder how can some OS be based only on HTML5 applications if each time we try to launch a browser it kills the other apps ?

And about memory consumption, my N8 with its 256MB of RAM only handled quite well several apps (Qt based for some) and Opera Mobile with a few tabs without a problem. Not has smooth as the Jolla of course, but it got the job done...

I'll have to find some time to try your tips, as I didn't notice this before with U8.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Strange, I have not experienced this behavior (OOM killer killing apps) yet. Of course, I have the habit of not having more than 5-6 apps open at the same time - I find it somewhat confusing having to look for an app cover the way they always move around.
On the other hand, just to test a bit, I opened settings app, sailfish browser (one tab), gallery, Friends, Jolla together app, SysMon, terminal, Mitakuuluu, and Chess.com (Android app). Still nothing got killed. I have not touched any memory settings.

EDIT: Yeah it also happened to me after a while..

Last edited by 243kof; 2014-12-26 at 18:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post: