Active Topics

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
I bought it for what it is, love the device. Its a solid piece of work with a good future for it.

My admin duties are easier with it, I knew what the platform had to offer.

If you just want a phone and just a little bit more, then there are other places to check. You want a linux toolkit in your pocket, sign up and get one

And just a thought for the ranters, patients and time fixes most things with these devices especially in open source ... the company fails to pick up the ball someone else will and sometimes produces a real gem of an app in the process. Have faith in the community, thats part of what you get with the N900.

Last edited by Scottlfa; 2010-02-13 at 03:27.

Do you buy a car only because of the ad? No!

Do you buy a condom because of the ad? No!

Do you buy a mobile because of the ad? Maybe, but you shouldn't...

Do you buy something else because of the ad? Maybe, but you shouldn't...

If you are buying a mobile...what are the keyfunctions you look for? Next time look for battery consumption, app-status...and the open source thing...two seconds of google helps...and andoird (Nexus One) is in some parts opensource too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

But on the other side, your are right, this device don't fit your needs, but you know why, because you didn't inform yourself about what you are bought...

Last edited by Dontales; 2010-02-13 at 03:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dontales For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
you know....this amazes me...
for months before the n900 became commercial at least 300 bloggers were given the device to test....
youre trying to tell me not one blog you read? you just saw it advertised and thought "that suits me"....without even reading about it? then complain about it....i am 100% sure that if its 1 thing to be known about the N900 is its predominant landscape attribute....if this was a "no no" for you....why did u even buy it? maybe READING has become to much of a task.....or maybe theres an app for that?

Last edited by RobertHall; 2010-02-13 at 13:16.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I have said agian and i will repeat that I am fully satisfied with the N900 and I hope I do not get another "go sell it" reply, but I fully understand those who are not.
I am satisfied because I wanted a tablet and it does that job very well. I am satisfied because I wanted a mobile computer and big screen resolution so I would work on the device near-like on my netbook (same resolution believe it or not)
I am satisfied because I wanted resistive touchscreen because I can't have finegrained control without a stylus.
I am satisfied with the built in media player but I am disappointed with the lack of a spreadsheet app (my mostly used app on my previous WM device)
I am really satisfied with the stability, and I am ok with the battery life (could be better though)

I said that i understand those who are not satisfied because I do not feel that someone has to read a whole forum to know what a phone does and does not. I never use mms but someone who does (here in greece they are a good replacement for sms cause they cost the same in some operators and there is no 160 char limit) expects them to be there (almost every color-screen nokia since 2005 has them. It's pretty darn standard)
The lack of portrait mode makes the device almost impossible to use with one hand - and it's not something you can even find in the spec sheet.
The lack of support for reduced character set in sms is a no-go for me concerning a phone. And that's the reason I stick with nokia. It was the only phone manufacturer with a standard policy about greek input on a phone.
There are things missing on this device(i don't call it a phone) that are standard for years on nokia phones and that you can't find on the specs maybe even not on the reviews so stop crying at people for not knowing what they bought. Did all of you check if the drivers seat is reclinable? I bet you didn't.
________
Sexpopcy cam

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:20.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wait. There's a lack of profiles (general, silent, et al)??

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait. There's a lack of profiles (general, silent, et al)??
Please see the thread, "Only two profiles: General & Silent? How to create more?"

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
qwazix - Gnumeric can be installed, some command line stuff but works

I researched alot of the pages out on the N900, having been an old Zaurus user and numerous other device I am pretty sure what I wanted.

Had to check and even changed carriers to get the 3G support, AT&T only offers G/E support for the phone side of the device.

Would suggest if a person wants a Nokia, but not maemo, the N97 is out there too. But any hows, buyer beware.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scottlfa For This Useful Post:
i dont give a damn F about the reviewers because they dont have the same views as me... they dont know what I need in a phone.... 10 different reviewers can have 10 separate views, just like I have my own view..

its MY device, I have to test it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dontales View Post
Do you buy a car only because of the ad? No!

Do you buy a condom because of the ad? No!

Do you buy a mobile because of the ad? Maybe, but you shouldn't...

Do you buy something else because of the ad? Maybe, but you shouldn't...

If you are buying a mobile...what are the keyfunctions you look for? Next time look for battery consumption, app-status...and the open source thing...two seconds of google helps...and andoird (Nexus One) is in some parts opensource too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

But on the other side, your are right, this device don't fit your needs, but you know why, because you didn't inform yourself about what you are bought...

I dont google and look for every single thing I need in a phone...
I wont google to find out if I can change profiles in the N900, I wont google to see if it has stable internet connections, I wont google for every single bit of information...

did U see in a review that u cannot change profiles? is there any review which states the problems in the N900?? MFE issues?

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 2,574 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Egypt, Cairo
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
did U see in a review that u cannot change profiles? is there any review which states the problems in the N900?? MFE issues?
haha u asked for it mate

Tags
disclose before selling, extremism rules!, flamewar, here be ranting, learn before buying, misery loves company, never blame nokia, provisioning, troll, wgaf