Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
This is truly shocking.

I met Gary at the Maemo Summit in Amsterdam, and he was so easy to talk to. He was truly interested in speaking to me, even though I was not a developer. I met him again a year later in Dublin, and was met again by the same cool demeanor, high spirit, and genuine friendliness. His enthusiasm, his vision, and the way he conducted himself in-person and online were role model. What a loss. My thoughts go to his family. Maemo/MeeGo really is mourning the loss of a talented developer, and the world is mourning the loss of a fantastic human being.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
rest well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I can't even comprehend this. I considered him a dear friend even though we saw each other very seldom.

Not only as a member of this community, but as a person, he was inspirational. Always looking on the bright side of life. Truly remarkable man.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I am shocked and very saddened. Gary had so much enthusiasm and was a very creative developer.

The bond one develops between people over IRC, forums and email is real. Gary was a friend, even though we met only a couple of time in person at various Maemo events. I'll miss him.
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jeremiah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
This is very sad news. I have not known him very long. Just a few PMs, seeing posts here and chats. But he always was very friendly in chats and offered help when PMing. His liqbase project is amazing. My friend's daughter loves playing with liqflow, as do I. The colours, fluidity and depth of the application is just amazing. His loss will be felt by a lot of people.

Yesterday was a very sad day. I hope his family finds comfort in these sad times. They should know that Gary touched a lot of lives and was an essential part of this community.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Wow, I'm speechless -- my condolences to the family. I can't imagine the full effect of this on the family to have someone so full of life and humor gone...

Nathan

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
I'm trying hard not no break down in tears after seeing this tragic news....
I have to admit it struck me so hard and sudden that I did cry at the news. Gary was a great bud. I'll miss him.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I have to admit it struck me so hard and sudden that I did cry at the news. Gary was a great bud. I'll miss him.
You're not the only one that has shed tears over this news. I still think I'm in shock. We were arranging to meet up in a few weeks for an event. I just can't believe it. :/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland

lcuk is vividly alive in my mind even though I have seen him last time two years ago and occasionally worked with him on some complex issues over IRC in past years.

It is depressing to see how best colleagues are passing away.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect