Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
Regarding Yandex, they use elliptical Mercator, in which the conversion between latitude/longitude coordinates and Mercator
coordinates differs from the more common spherical Mercator, but the zoom levels and tiling logic is otherwise the same. See discussion at the Poor Maps thread, formulas at OpenStreetMap wiki and my implementation at GitHub.
Interesting! Looks like I will have to rework the map rendering a bit to make use of the projection fix as it is currently heavily based on the assumption that all layers use the web Mercator projection.

Also I guess overlays fall out of the window with these layers, at least without reprojecting the tile images.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I'm unable to rebuild mapnik anymore. So I can't really fix the bad path. The build silently fails, see https://garage.maemo.org/builder/fre...log.FAILED.txt

Run standalone, the g++-4.6 command returns 1 without printing anything as well.
That sucks! :-( This reminds me - any idea whats the status of updating the ancient toolchain in the Maemo Autobuilder ? I think that would help quite a bit with stuff like this and have heard something about this being planned but have no idea how far it is.

Originally Posted by zod View Post
Last month I wanted to cache tiles for several areas and best tool I found was Mobile Atlas Creator (older versions also allow you to download gmaps) .
Perl script attached that converts from RMaps/Big Planet SQLite format used in MOBAC to Modrana's SQLite. Actually its modified Beermad's script.
Cool, thanks! Can I add it to the modRana page about import scripts ?

BTW, is there a specification of the format somewhere ? I have recently rewritten the modRana tile storage code to a standalone module Python module, so it is now much easier to add support for new tile storage formats. So provided that the format is not too complicated it could be possible to support it directly in the modRana tile storage code. Users would then just drop their RMaps/Big Planet SQLite tile bundles to the respective layer folder and modRana would detect the bundles and query them when looking for tiles.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
modRana 0.53.2 has been released !

The main highlight of this release is improved map tile handling:
  • all supported storage methods are checked when looking for tiles in local storage - if you have some tiles in sqlite and some as files, modRana will now check both
  • sqlite tile storage should now be much more robust - there should be no more "database locked errors" and similar weirdness due to fully serialized database access
  • this "rewrite" also makes tile storage in modRana much more modular, making it easy to add support for additional tile storage methods or for storing vector tile data

ModRana can now also show up the map layers provided by the Thunderforest project, map layers using the quadtile addressing should now show up correctly again and some dead layers have been cleaned up.

There have been also other fixes, for example on how the GTK GUI handled Unicode and multiline notifications and their timeouts. The Qt 5 GUI also got some fixes for tile rendering glitches and unhandled cases during map overlay config loading.

Changelog

Code:
modRana 0.53.2 (2015-10-11)

- make the updated urrlib3 work on Android
- handle an overlay config loading edge case

modRana 0.53.1 (2015-10-10)

- tile storage and loading should be now much more robust and flexible
- tiles are now looked-up in all available storage methods (files & sqlite)
- simple CLI API for adding POIs to the modRana POI database has been added
- the GTK GUI notifications now handle Unicode and long strings
- some GTK GUI notification timeout fixes
- tile elements should now be properly initialized on startup in Qt 5 GUI
- modRana startup scripts now forward CLI options to the main modRana executable
- verbose tile handling log messages can now be enabled from the Qt 5 GUI
- map layers using the quadkey addressing should now be properly displayed
- Thunderforest map layers have been added
- modRana should now shutdown much more quickly

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
storing vector tile data ; this is some news
anyway just day before tomorrow got around 135 km biking unknown lands just using modrana and classic old way of asking locals and it all went fine.
there are a few usablity issues in modrana that i found while using it so long i.e app open for all the time that i ll detail later.
all in all modrana is good enough for navigation

thanks

Last edited by nokiabot; 2015-10-11 at 16:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
a lil question how to use those thunderforest maps and are they avaible in india as i wont be upgrading modrana for the next month or so beause i have a couple of trips planned so i do not want to poke a working install
i am on o.52.1

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
(...) day after tomorrow (...) and it all went fine (...)
Are you from the future, Jonh Titor?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
err its just bad english correcting it
thanks

Great work Martin! Been torture testing it for a while, and it doesn't lock up any more. Still a couple of blips - it sometimes 'undraws' a part of the map it's already drawn momentarily, but not enough to interfere with use. And I managed to crash it once - I'll try to get a log if I can make it do it again.

A very impressive achievement though overall - undoubtedly my favourite mapping software now.

I was thinking, it would be amazing if when I'm tethering my tablet to my phone, I could have a modRana installation on my tablet, and use my phone's modRana installation as a kind of proxy map server. Don't know if that's feasible? If so, I could put it on github as a feature request.

Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Damn!
That is a blast from the past...
Or the futture perhaps!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Just installed it without any issues. Seems like a very nice app - will try it out in practice later this week. Just did a "dry run" and works very nicely out of the box.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Martink, any chance you will divert some time to Ubuntu Touch?
All of the GPS apps are pretty meh right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps