Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 826 | Thanked: 3,319 times | Joined on Mar 2009
#1
(In the spirit of the Mythbusters)
I downloaded FIASCO-image.
Unpacked it with 0xffff. (./0xFFFF -M RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -u)
Selected xloader corresponding my hwrevision (not 2nd. not secondary.)
Made one byte modification (inside version string by guess).
-trying to not break code logic
-definitely break any checksum and/or signature
Flashed with 0xffff.

-> Instant brick.
Device can't be powered on.
When attached to the computer, dmesg doesn't show anything. (expected: http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Joerg_rw/...og_of_USB_enum)

Seems to me that consumer using usb can only cold flash secondary (which means nolo). So is this the border of brickability and unbrickability? (between xloader and nolo) Or is there still something to do without special equipments?
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
explit's Avatar
Posts: 518 | Thanked: 1,264 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
#2
Flashing with F-Bus/Mbus Cable (Contacts under the battery) and UFS/HWK Flasher-Box should go.
I can do it, but i'm in Berlin/Germany

Or try to find xxxed Nokia Phoenix Service Software.
This has especially an option "Dead USB Flashing"
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,133 | Thanked: 8,343 times | Joined on May 2010
#3
Hi! X-Loader & Nolo compose one nand partition and are flashed at same time to N900.

If you accidentely flash something unbootable to N900, do not worry.

You can cold-flash via *usb* 2nd & Nolo image into N900 even if N900 has broken X-Loader/NOLO.

Make sure that your battery is charger and use 0xFFFF or flasher-3.5 in cold flash mode. After you get working NOLO, do normal flash and thats all.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 826 | Thanked: 3,319 times | Joined on Mar 2009
#4
Originally Posted by pali View Post
You can cold-flash via *usb* 2nd & Nolo image into N900 even if N900 has broken X-Loader/NOLO.
I just test with another spare device that I can cold flash:

Code:
./flasher-3.5 -h RX-51:2101 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -c -S usb
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_f.../Cold_Flashing

My issue is not broken nolo, but broken xloader (I know terminology is little bit fuzzy, but I mean file named 'xloader' which comes inside fiasco). Cold flashing will not ever start because my computer is not seeing N900 (nothing comes in kernel log).
 

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,133 | Thanked: 8,343 times | Joined on May 2010
#5
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I just test with another spare device that I can cold flash:

Code:
./flasher-3.5 -h RX-51:2101 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -c -S usb
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_f.../Cold_Flashing

My issue is not broken nolo, but broken xloader (I know terminology is little bit fuzzy, but I mean file named 'xloader' which comes inside fiasco). Cold flashing will not ever start because my computer is not seeing N900 (nothing comes in kernel log).
Does not matter what is broken (if nolo or x-loader). Cold flashing is started *before* booting x-loader and is started by omap rom.

Above command for cold flashing should be OK. If you are not seeing usb device it is because of power supply.

Make sure you have fully charged battery. If needed use external charger. N900 with broken bootloader cannot charge your batttery.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 826 | Thanked: 3,319 times | Joined on Mar 2009
#6
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Does not matter what is broken (if nolo or x-loader). Cold flashing is started *before* booting x-loader and is started by omap rom.

If you are not seeing usb device it is because of power supply.
I fully charged battery with my working N900 and put it to the 'bricked' one. Then used same cable and same USB-port of computer than with working N900. But no, computer is not even noticing something were attached.

Connecting 'bricked' N900 to the computer.
When I use 100% full battery, nothing visually happens in N900.
When battery is below 100% (let say 95%) then there are orange led shining (continuous, not blinking).
(Any use of this information)
 
Posts: 2,133 | Thanked: 8,343 times | Joined on May 2010
#7
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I fully charged battery with my working N900 and put it to the 'bricked' one. Then used same cable and same USB-port of computer than with working N900. But no, computer is not even noticing something were attached.
This looks like broken usb :-(

Anyway, try another computer with usb 2.0 bus (not 3.0!). Maybe your computer or operating system has slow usb enumeration and so cannot detect it.

Also you can try to use your working N900 if it can enter into cold flash mode. Turn it off, start 0xFFFF -I and then connect usb cable.

0xFFFF in -I mode just do identification, nothing more! And if it see Nokia N900 device in cold flash mode, it just tell N900 to start NOLO and it wrote message about it. So you will see if your computer/OS can detect device in cold flash mode.
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 432 | Thanked: 2,180 times | Joined on Oct 2009
#8
My experience is that its pretty hard to brick a N900 by flashing stuff to it...
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,019 | Thanked: 12,499 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
#9
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
My experience is that its pretty hard to brick a N900 by flashing stuff to it...
I'd say it is impossible.
__________________
Never fear. I is here.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

 

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 826 | Thanked: 3,319 times | Joined on Mar 2009
#10
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
My experience is that its pretty hard to brick a N900 by flashing stuff to it...
I also thought so.

I had two working N900. I flashed them couple of times (also nolo-part). Always with the same cable and with the same computer. Then I (intentionally) flashed modified xloader (signed part). N900 instantly went black. After shutdown with battery removal it feels bricked. It can't be powered on. It will not show any more in kernel logs. I use working N900 for reference (cold flashing, kernel logs) and to charge batteries.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:45.