Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Guys,

Quick question, is there a new "big image file", just noticed when I looked at the app pages on downloads it says you need 2.5GB free space, forgive me (because I haven't got the N900 on me at the moment) but I thought the image was smaller than that when I first installed it?

If it is a new image file, do we have to remove the old one (and if so, how (safely)) or does the new easy deb install in testing take care of this, by removing/downloading the new image?

Thanks in advance

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The new image (debian-m5-v2.img.ext2) is 2GB, and the downloaded file is the usual 330MB, so I say you need 2.5GB free.

If you download the new image, it should leave the old image alone. If you already have the v2 image, then you're good to go.

If you keep both images, you might need to specify the image that you want in your /home/user/.chroot file.

Last edited by qole; 2010-01-15 at 18:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I have installed easy debian in a new partition as described here.

Everything works fine but when I run "sudo debian" I get the following:
Code:
~ $ sudo debian           
Chroot dir specified: /.debian
/dev/mmcblk0p4 specified in ~/.chroot
Mounting...
using device: /dev/mmcblk0p4
Using ext3 file system
mounting device: /dev/mmcblk0p4
mount: mounting /var/run/pulse on /.debian/var/run/pulse failed: No such file or directory
Everything set up, running chroot...
[root@chroot: /]
What is in "/var/run/pulse"? Is it normal to get this mount failure?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
taxaza: That error is harmless. It is an attempt to get pulseaudio working in the chroot. You can add a /var/run/pulse dir in your chroot and it will bind the Maemo directory there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Qole,

Any possibility to get access to the "symbols" virtual kbd under easy debian?

--denis

Originally Posted by qole View Post
taxaza: That error is harmless. It is an attempt to get pulseaudio working in the chroot. You can add a /var/run/pulse dir in your chroot and it will bind the Maemo directory there.
I created the directory but I still get the same error.
I am a linux newb so I might be saying stupid things here, but as far as I know pulseaudio is used by n900 for its sound output (instead of ALSA afaik) so maybe not mounting it causes no sound on easy debian.

Hi qole is the new image more faster??????

delaroca: The only solution I can think of is to use the xvkbd in LXDE.

alex-000: No.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
delaroca: The only solution I can think of is to use the xvkbd in LXDE.
Sigh! Back to that old friend xvkbd... :-)

By the way, the installation of xvkbd on debian is incomplete in regards foreign language support. For this to work, the foreign language keyboard layouts (the *.ad) files in the xvkbd distribution need to be installed in /etc/X11/app-defaults... once moved there, you do need to strip the .ad suffix from the files.

--denis

Hello
I installed easy debian chroot from extras testing without any problem (except that I downloaded the image from my PC and used debian installer only to decompress it). I'm really really impressed of the usabilty and the speed and I want to say a big THANK YOU to the people that permit that (sorry for my english)

I installed pidgin and its facebook plugin, it works perfectly, and I was suprised that the accounts I had configured in the maemo 5 version of pidgin were already configured under easy debian
Open office is faster than I expected , I think I won't install abiword/gnumeric at the moment

I did an aptitude update and aptitude upgrade, it worked

Some questions:

- How to change the keyboard layout? I have a french azerty keyboard, and I tried "dpkg-reconfigure console-data" and selected an azerty layout but it doesn't change anything, and I'm a noob at this

- Is it safe to do an aptitude update and upgrade?

Anyway, thank you again it is awesome, this distribution should really be "highlighted" instead of showing the N900 running tetris or mario My eeepc will be on sale soon!

Edit: a screenshot:

Last edited by peio; 2010-01-17 at 14:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peio For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze