Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Found this info that may be helpfull
https://www.prime-expert.com/article...7-to-nvme-ssd/
There must be an easy way to do this instead of cloning every time

Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
I found my self that Debian 5 and Ubuntu 10 is last that installer support big disks with Booklet 3G. Newer linuxes freezes (lost disk), because I think there is bug in installer or partition or formatting code. I managed install Ubuntu 12 and Ubuntu 14 as over install (I did not format/erasa any partition when I install) over Ubuntu 10.
At last I continue tests I noticed that Debian based EliveOS has different installer than Debian and Devuan and I tested with elive_3.8.32_retro_hybrid_i386.iso offline install over Ubuntu 14 and it worked! So kernel version 6.1. works with Booklet with 160 GB SSD.
And with EliveOS the Booklet was about 4 times faster than with Ubuntu 14! Also I learned with EliveOS why Maemo would be better in 10.1" screen..so back to dreaming about Maemo Leste in Booklet:
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=101438

Last edited by teroyk; 2023-10-04 at 12:47.

Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
The guy behind Elive is awesome. Now he has more people to work for releases but he is a real enthusiast to make system work.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

I am interested in write display brightness control command for FreeDOS, has somebody documentation files from there:
https://sizeof.cat/files/nokia/booklet-3g/
archive.org does not have those files.

Don't wait anything fancy TSR loaded to Expanded Memory, because I still don't know how to setup JEMMEX or JEMM386 Expanded Memory Managers without hang with Booklet. Any hints?

If somebody try another DOS-based OS, then it is good to know that putting switch /m:1 after himem.sys in config.sys and then you get himem.sys working with Booklet 3G.

Win98SE might also work (with PATCHMEM (over 0,5GB RAM limit) and PATCHATA (over 137GB HDD limit) fixes), but I think it would stop the problem: where to put that himem.sys switch so that it can work in Safe Mode?..I am pretty sure you need go Safe Mode some times when you setup (delete) drivers.

Last edited by teroyk; 2023-12-21 at 14:13.

More about DOS drivers with Booklet 3G.
Hard Disk Interface: It is actually PATA(IDE) compatible with uSATA adapter so it is very DOS compatible, but remember some DOS versions has max HDD/SSD size limits. I think the only fdisk partitioning tool for DOS that support over 137GB drives come with FreeDOS 1.3 and newer. And FreeDOS can access partitions after 137GB.

Screen: All VESA 3.0 compatible screen modes should work up to 1280x720.

Touchpad: All mouse drivers that support PS/2 works fine (driver comes with FreeDOS).

USB: You can boot from with USB-floppydrive and USB-CDROM without drivers. But also Panasonic USB-drivers work in DOS.

HDMI: If cable connected, Booklet only shows to HDMI, not screen. All VESA 3.0 modes up to 1920x1080 should work,. Automatic low resolution upscale (example text resolution 40x25 to 640x480 video)!

Speakers/Heasphone-output: Sound Blaster emulation should work, but it need JEMM, JEMMEX or QEMM memory manager and default settings of those memory managers are not good for Booklet. Is there any DOS gurus, who can help with DOS memory managers?

Last edited by teroyk; 2023-12-21 at 14:04.

Still not know how to setup Jemmex memory manager for Booklet 3G, but I get some audio from headphone output in DOS!
I did this way:
I did not use Jemmex at all and I only used Himem.sys /m:1 as memory manager. Bad point is that SBEMU drop support for Real Mode programs.
SBEMU have to be quite latest. Older hangs in Intel HDA detection.
Is that true that Booklet actually has 2 soundchips another is for HDMI-output?
But, I have tested only some games that came with Freedos and only Mistral and Noudar works when choosing Adlib in start. If somebody know any programs that support this, feel free to share names of them here.

Last edited by teroyk; 2024-02-22 at 20:39.

Some DOS gurus might intrest this info:
Nokia Booklet has good CGA, EGA and MCGA screen resolution support also with HDMI-output.

So if somebody who is skill full enough to debug what are the problems with Jemmex and SBEMU and tell problems to their developers then Booklet can come quite nice little retro DOS laptop.

Somekind of energy saving "driver" FDAPM what comes with Freedos does not work fully (automatic does not work), but you can set manually CPU speed with it:
Code:
fdapm SPEEDn
n Mhz
8 1596.0 Mhz
7 1398.6 Mhz
6 1206.3 Mhz
5 1000.7 Mhz
4  800.8 Mhz
3  601.0 Mhz
2  416.9 Mhz
1  199.7 Mhz
Have to say that speed4 is fast enough for every DOS program with Booklet 3G and speed1 gives so long battery life that it is hard to test how long

Tags
booklet, nokia, rx-75