Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Are the maps for your country incomplete?
Poll Options
Are the maps for your country incomplete?

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...thread.id=5209
I just installed/updated to Nokia Maps 2.0 on E90 and discovered, that maps for Bulgaria are no longer available in detail. The current maps comes from Navteq, the old came from TeleAtlas - this makes the difference. Even maps 2.0 is a bit better, I have no other choice than to reinstall maps 1.x i.e. restore a back up.

Do anybody have any idea why these maps were elliminated, even a navigation license can be purchased?

Thanks in advance for any advise!
Val
My issue is similar, only the main streets of the city are mapped, however if you browse th blank area, street names appear out of nowhere...

So naturally being in the same situation I tried, as described the 1.2 maps that had more detail for central/eastern Europe - don't bother, naturally it doesn't work.

So why am I worried just now? Garmin used to provide the best coverage for these regions as they had contracts with local companies... Now, that nokia maps is free, I'm afraid Garmin and maybe even Sygic (who knows? - they didn't provide decent maps for the discussed regions anyway) are out of the question.

I hope this thread, that should probably be on the Nokia forums too as we Maemo users are a minority compared to the Symbian one, is read by someone closer to nokia and that maybe he or she might send a P.M. or make a post to inform us on the matter.

Regards,
Bec

Last edited by Bec; 2010-01-23 at 09:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Same story in Serbia. Nokia Maps is the only Navigation Service that doesn't have maps for my country (yeah, and Sygic too , i'm so lucky now without any maps at all). When Nokia was getting their maps from TeleAtlas everything was fine. Then, they bought Navteq and there was no maps for many countries. I was thinking, ok, that's going to be solved, right?
Solved? It's years from that and still nothing. That's really lousy job from Navteq and Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to kopte3 For This Useful Post:
At least you can hope Sygic will come - for me Sygic would only bring two cities and I don't live in any of them

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
useless ovi map if you don't have credit in your account to use data connection. you can't search offline and it dpes not have turn by turn and voice. very slow as hell. NOKIA ovi map is useless. sygic is going to be anpther useless map app. They need to work on more countries and cities. N900 should have come with life time free full version OVI MAP. Not an incomplete map application that you can only use to track your self. if you are lost and trying to find a way out then it's going to be better off use your mouth and ask for directions instead.

OVI MAPS have just become free so the free version for N900 will follow shortly...
That's precisely what worries me, not only will they wipe out the competition, but the competition might stop making maps for symbian/maemo and regions not covered by NaviTeq such as the one I live in will be left without any cover...

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bulgaria
Hello,
I confirm absolute useless of Ovi maps for Bulgaria !!! Map is so pour, only approx 10 roads for all country !!!

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
I wanted to say that Sygic too doesn't have maps for Serbia.

10 roads? You lucky bastard! I have only 2 roads with Nokia maps.

Originally Posted by Bec View Post
OVI MAPS have just become free so the free version for N900 will follow shortly...
That's precisely what worries me, not only will they wipe out the competition, but the competition might stop making maps for symbian/maemo and regions not covered by NaviTeq such as the one I live in will be left without any cover...
OVI nav will not come 4 M5.
They stopped with current maps to focus on the future device.

Check OSM or Android as alternative.

Dunno who told you that but it's not making any sense.
1. the maps themselves are a legacy product, meaning they are compatible on every nokia device be it symbian or maemo.
2. mapping is done by navteq that is a separate division of nokia, so the quiestion is not "if" but "when".
3. old devices like N95 and 5800 get firmware and map application upgredes so it's doubtfull N900 will be "phased out" in the next 3-4 years.

Checed OSM but the main map does not load in a backgroud thred, thus becomming choppy - have to talk to the project mantainer about that.

As for android I find the support scarce and garmin still didn't provide gps on the devices.
Garmin is the only one providing support for some parts of the world.

Last edited by Bec; 2010-01-23 at 13:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Garmin is the only one providing support for some parts of the world.
That's strange, since Garmin is using Navteq maps to my knowledge. TomTom naturally uses TeleAtlas.

Also Bing Maps, which uses Navteq maps contains quite nice details at least for Sofia.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=42....led%20item____