Active Topics

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Mer for X86, Nokia N8x0 and SmartQ5/7 version 0.14

Information about Mer can be found at http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer and everything you need to know about the release on http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Releases/0.14. It also has a list of known issues so please read them through first before installing.

We have also put up some general installation information and those with clone-to-SD Maemo will find this good to read through.

Highlights of this release:

* Initial N810 GPS instructions posted here
* Began cleaning up and upgrading to Fremantle beta packages
* Neo Freerunner port with video
* start-hildon script now uses a /etc/start-hildon.d scheme, making it easier to write control panels
* X buttons on dialogs (for cancel)
* Ubuntu MID will be based upon Mer
* Mer team SmartQ developer rebate programme
* We participated in Mozilla/Maemo Danish Weekend and had several meetings including some with Nokia on how to deal with closed source bits for HW support. Pictures here, and here, - spot the Mer people!
* Nokia donated two N810s to the project so we can improve N810 support.
* Presentation at MMDW about Mer: Maemo Reconstructed
* Crowd sourcing HIM layouts
* initial meeting with Ubuntu MID crowd
* Instructions on how to develop for Mer
* SmartQ7 port
* New sprint management system
* #mer IRC channel is now logged publically
* NetworkManager now uses hildon banners instead of notifications
* Full Qi port to SmartQ5/7
* New onscreen keyboard - him-arabic
* Mer will be presenting a BoF session at DebConf9 this summer
* Sound now works in N8x0 again, fixed buffer overflow in osso-dsp-loader
* Mer represented with BoF at Southeast LinuxFest

Next release is 13 July 2009 (0.15). Mer is still a work in progress and as such you should not expect too much of it (note long list of known issues). We are in dire need of hands, both coders, architects/designers, testers, or anyone passionate about mobile development, so if you think you can contribute, you're more than welcome to join us in this community effort.

If you would like to participate, read through http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/People and http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Sprints (this includes a guide on how to participate actively - simple procedures!) and see if there's anything you can help out with. We're on #mer on FreeNode, IRC, if you'd like to hang out and discuss.

Thanks to all the people helping out with testing, development, design, etc. This community project wouldn't move ahead without you (you're far too many to list by now, but see mer-chatter archives for those active on there).

Obligatory screenshots:

As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
anything for 770 owners?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mrp View Post
anything for 770 owners?
Sorry, - BBB770 is working on a kernel package so it might come soon.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Hot damn, Mer is coming along like some sweet fresh baked bread that I won't be able to get enough of. All these improvement are exciting to say the least. can't wait to download. Thanks and keep up the good work guys.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Don't know if I'll be able to wait for a 770 build ...
My N810 hasn't see a real change for a long time now ...

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Thanks for the update; I'll install tonite to the N810 and have a report this weekend on my usages for ya.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2009 @ Pennsylvania
Thanks. Gonna install on my N810 tonight.

Thanks

I bought another 770 on ebay in order to try to test Mer. Too bad still have to wait. Do not want to mess up my other 770 and n800.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
I really wish I had something to bring to the table.

You guys need a bassist? (that's the only thing I'm good at).

You Mer-Men and Mer-Maids rule!

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Sounds awesome. I've been eyeing Mer for a little while and I think it's a great addition to the NIT. If I feel I can contribute in some way, I'll send you guys a buzz.

Jesse~

Tags
mer, release