Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
anything to do with MeeGo on the N900??
not directly. they're just going to package the MeeGo components in Debian packages.
it will make it easier for us to integrate MeeGo once we have integrated Debian and Maemo5.

The Following User Says Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by yoush View Post
I just successfully repartitioned internal memory card. Now I have two extra partitions, 5G and 3G, there.
What is behind the decision to develop Moebian using internal eMMC? Wouldn't it be easier to go "Mer way" and build an image for external memory card?
These things are:
  • very cheap nowadays
  • you can have as many as you like
  • you can write them easily using laptop memory card slot
  • there is support for booting of memory card in PR1.1+
  • no worrying of breaking Nokia provided firmware

there is no such decision. It's just one of the possible options to boot Moebian:
1) from /home 2) from extra eMMC partition 3) from SD card partition.
1+2 are interesting for users who do not or only have a slow SD card.
1 does not even require partitioning and could be reverted easily (good for beta testers and novices).

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
What is behind the decision to develop Moebian using internal eMMC? Wouldn't it be easier to go "Mer way" and build an image for external memory card?

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
This is awsome! Thank you Titan.

A first proof of concept version of the installation scripts is now
in the git repository https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=1382
some details:
https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/m...ch/000012.html

The Following User Says Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by titan View Post
some details:
https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/m...ch/000012.html
from the link above
It is a known problem that startup-pin-query hangs during boot
if you don't boot from NAND. Therefore I had to disable it which
leaves the phone locked
This is strange. I am booting my N900 from card and pin entry was working just fine last time I tried.

How do you copy the rootfs to mmc, maybe something is missing in mmc partition? using cp is not ideal, using tar and remounting rootfs somewhere else before copying may be better

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2010-03-09 at 08:22.

did you try again with the latest firmware?
I have PIN authentication disabled (in settings) but it also hung when I enabled it.
I'm pretty sure that nothing is missing in the mmc partition.
I have tried both copying a complete original rootfs and symlinking all of /usr to NAND (using my script).
maybe I should strace the program during boot from NAND and mmc to see what it's waiting for.

BTW, could you please upload your bootmenu package to extras-devel?
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
This is strange. I am booting my N900 from card and pin entry was working just fine last time I tried.
How do you copy the rootfs to mmc, maybe something is missing in mmc partition?

did you try again with the latest firmware?
no, will try
I'm pretty sure that nothing is missing in the mmc partition.
I have tried both copying a complete original rootfs and symlinking all of /usr to NAND (using my script).
I have checked your installroot script and I see lot of cp -a calls. I would suggest to do straight tar clone of pure rootfs without any mount points mounted on top of it (i.e. remout it somewhere else before copying)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I have checked your installroot script and I see lot of cp -a calls. I would suggest to do straight tar clone of pure rootfs without any mount points mounted on top of it (i.e. remout it somewhere else before copying)
I'll try that too (cpio or rsync -x would be alternatives) but so far rsync doesn't show and differences and with the /usr links it doesn't need to copy.

Remounting rootfs somewhere else to reveal files hidden under mount points is the key, otherwise you can't be sure you have copied everything. At least with 770/n8x0 there were some 'hidden' nodes in /dev/ used early at boot time before it gets remounted and udev is started.