Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
They want to pinch, pinch, pinch a billion widgets on capacitive touch screens (even if they don't know what that means). People were quite content buying stratospheric amounts of iPhones even when they couldn't change the wallpaper (or copy/paste or multitask).
but those people aren't smartphone customers. if somebody needs a smartphone, he wouldn't buy an iphone instead. what matters here is that Nokia trades both their current and future smartphone platforms for something that is... Well... Not a smartphone platform. It may find its customers, like the iphone did, but again these customers will not be people who need smartphones. Nokia will no longer sell smartphone in the future.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I never seen one person so effectively kill everything that a company stands for in one press conference as Elop did. I really didn't believe that he'd do this. While I would have understood if he was using it as a bridge to keep things going until the home-grown product was ready, he has nothing to show here. There is no Microsoft phone coming in 6 months that people can get excited about.

In the meantime, Symbian, which has been Nokia's workhorse, is dead man walking. MeeGo just lost a lot of support. I guess we should be thankful that they open-sourced what they did have so that at least it has a chance to make a reappearance.

While before, Nokia still had the opportunity to be Apple, RIM, et al, now they have pretty much told everyone that they are going to be HTC, Moto, and others. Fact is, this is a "give up" move, and I can't see any shareholder being happy about this. Elop basically gave his consumer base the middle finger.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Good News is......... were all still here after the dust has settled, like survivors after the zombie apocolypse. Prob the drink talking but after reading all this for the majority of the day I think this could actually be the best thing for our little n900 (but admittedly sucks in all other aspects). A nail in the coffin will stop all the hope threads that pr1.3/pr1.4 will magically fix the next problem we come across. We still have an amazing amount of talent in this community and I cant help feel a little bit of rebellion from the nokia camp from people that worked on maemo/meego will help keep us relevant for a while to come. Im stuck in a mobile contract until october so I am fortunate enough to have time to watch this thing play out over the next couple of months before making a decision about my next smartphone move if I even feel the need at that point as guaranteed whatever iphone 5 etc comes up with I will still have been doing for the past year and a half albeit with a crappier screen resolution. Will defo be an interesting time to play voyeur.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cferrism For This Useful Post:
I wrote this in another thread, but here it goes again, where it should belong:

I suspect it was the boards idea the whole time. They wanted WP7, got rid of Olli, headhunted a MS exec for a CEO position, BOOM, one foot in. I DOUBT one person (Elop) is behind all of this. This is just the boards strategy and now all of us think its because of one man.

The Following User Says Thank You to eikido For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
I wrote this in another thread, but here it goes again, where it should belong:

I suspect it was the boards idea the whole time. They wanted WP7, got rid of Olli, headhunted a MS exec for a CEO position, BOOM, one foot in. I DOUBT one person (Elop) is behind all of this. This is just the boards strategy and now all of us think its because of one man.
I don't know the trustworthiness of the source here at IntoMobile, but he claims it was American investors responsible for pressuring the board into going the FlopElop route: Nokia Chairman Jorma Ollila wanted Anssi Vanjoki to be CEO, picked Stephen Elop after getting threats

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
does someone saw qgil somewhere in any thread to this topic? just wondering...

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
F**k! I was defending Nokia just a week ago, pointing fingers at the shills and astroturfers for all the bad rep in this forum, but seriously!
suicide by Microsoft!! come on! well , I will be very careful with my N900 and make it last for as long as possible, now it will probably be years until someone delivers a hw/sw combo that beat it.

Last edited by sula; 2011-02-12 at 00:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to sula For This Useful Post:
*sigh*

I guess I'll just go buy an E7, then forget all&everything about cellphones for the next 5 years.

You know what I truly lament?

That I liked the philosophy behind Symbian's. Function over form. You could customize, well, everything. You could do, also, everything. There wasn't anything I wanted to do, that I couldn't with Symbian. My Nokia E71... a swiss army knife of function encased on an indestructible steel body. Maps, GPS info (I have done entire site surveys with it), dictionary... It sipped data and power carefully and elegantly. In a world of Hummer smartphones, it was a compact diesel what would get my job done.

Eventually I decided I wanted something with a bigger screen, and I arrived here. It was you guys, this community, that taught me to love open source and all that it represents. I got my N800, and it was good. I dreamed about what MeeGo could bring. A true, fully fledged, flexible and powerful computer in your pocket.

Now, with WP7, I'm afraid we are losing more than just software platforms (or a huge amount of features we have for given). We are losing what made Nokia, Nokia.

And I look around, and I don't know what alternative is good enough to pick. Worst even... I don't think there is one.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dana.s For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org