Active Topics

so the voting will be open soon?

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by viic View Post
so the voting will be open soon?
If everything works out as expected, yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Just got a mail from Aslan. What do you think?
I could propose to send the emails with one hour between each email, or something like that.

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long with this, there has been some stuff I needed to do before this. Nine votings, sure this was clear for me... the thing is that the maemo voting system is not really designed for doing nine votings at the same time. What I mean, that some people (those 50 thousand members allowed to vote) probably do not appreciate getting the same "spam" email nine times.

You need to send tokens for every voting, so that's why we have this problem here. I'm not sure also if maemo infra can handle 9x50k emails sent from "un-optimal" email system. If you are sure that you want to continue with this, ok, but I don't want to hear any complaints about spamming myself

Br,
Aslan

Maybe someone could volunteer to hack the token-generating scripts to queue the tokens and send them all (ie 9 in 1 email) in one go? IIRC the voting system comes from GNOME so the code should be public somewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Just got a mail from Aslan. What do you think?
I could propose to send the emails with one hour between each email, or something like that.
Don't know if it would be possible to send one mail, with all 9 mail content in it. The system probably wasn't designed for this, and it would take time to modify it, prolonging the waiting, again.

An hour between emails is good. Maybe you could add a paragraph at the end mentioning there will be 9 letters like that and to add the email address to the spam filter to let it through.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Seems that sending the content of nine emails in one is not possible.
I think modifying the system would take too much time again. I just want it to finish...

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@zehjotkah,

Just let us have the 9 e-mails. It's not that much, and it's coming from a known source. We all get tens of e-mails from maemo.org everyday (if you subscribe to every thread you reply to, that is).

Just make sure that the subject has something about "Meego Coding Competition 2011" so that it's clear..

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Seems that sending the content of nine emails in one is not possible.
Hm, after cursory examination (the code is here and instructions here) I think it's quite doable. Token generation and emailing are distinct, separate steps, and the database schema is already designed to hold multiple concurrent elections.

I think modifying the system would take too much time again. I just want it to finish...
The only modification needed would be to make scripts/mail-instructions.pl grab all elections' tokens and insert them in the template (in fact it already partially supports multiple name/email/token substitutions into the same template). Then you'd just run scripts/create-tmp-tokens.pl 9 times to generate the tokens and scripts/mail-instructions.pl once. It looks like about an afternoon's work, I'm pretty sure the maemo.org maintenance budget can handle that, especially since we didn't have a council election ;-)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Okay, thanks.
Here is my latest email:
Hi Aslan,

thanks for your email.
Isn't it possible to send one email containing the link to all nine tokens?

I'll quote Ima from the maemo forums:
(http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=668)

"Hm, after cursory examination (the code is here and instructions here) I think it's quite doable. Token generation and emailing are distinct, separate steps, and the database schema is already designed to hold multiple concurrent elections.

The only modification needed would be to make scripts/mail-instructions.pl grab all elections' tokens and insert them in the template (in fact it already partially supports multiple name/email/token substitutions into the same template). Then you'd just run scripts/create-tmp-tokens.pl 9 times to generate the tokens and scripts/mail-instructions.pl once. It looks like about an afternoon's work, I'm pretty sure the maemo.org maintenance budget can handle that, especially since we didn't have a council election ;-)"

Thanks and best regards,
Cosimo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Hm, okay. Perhaps I'm answering to late but I would have proposed to ask how long the servers will get loaded until the 50.000 emails are sent?

He could decide himself if a single hour gap between the voting or 6 hours would be needed for the server to recover.

In the case we have to send 9 emails we should ensure that the servers are done with the first batch as soon as the next will begin.

Btw. a voting email each 24 hours wouldn't be a mistake. Remembering myself the last competition and the last concil election voting needs time and is work.
Personally I prefer 20 minutes each evening considering without ruffle or excitement whom to elect instead of about a hour long a full load of "work".
I know myself, what if I'm tired after the 7th poll and selecting randomly in impulse to simply finish with this stuff. I would prefer more time between the polls to have enought time to review the projects.

Originally Posted by mmlado View Post
An hour between emails is good. Maybe you could add a paragraph at the end mentioning there will be 9 letters like that and to add the email address to the spam filter to let it through.
I would prefer a sentence in the beginning. "Maemo/MeeGo Coding Competition 2011 - voting email 1 of 9" - or this sentence in the subject. Who is reading such kind of emails to the end?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia