Closed Thread
that it blows my N900 out of the water. Hardware-wise, N900 has an edge because of its bigger (3.5 vs 3.1 inch) screen and higher resolution. BUT, and it's a big but, software-wise Palm Pre + is leagues above and beyond my N900. I am talking about the webOS and its GUI. I have heard people use the word "elegant" to describe the webOS and I have to agree. It IS elegant. I cannot believe I waited this long to try it out. My Palm Pre Plus is the BEST phone I have ever used. Period. I have used a couple of iPhones, a few Android phones and a Blackberry; and the last 8 months or so I thought my N900 was unbeatable. Not any more. I just finished unlocking my Palm Pre +; I popped out my T-Mobile SIM card from N900 and into the Palm it went. Lots of information over at precentral.net--very noob friendly and I felt I was welcomed by their community. Totally unlike here at maemo where even though I've been a member since the days of N800 I am often treated with indifference and snootiness.

I am planning on keeping my N900, only as an internet tablet. My 5-year old son likes to play Angry Birds on it, as opposed to his mom's iPhone 3GS. N900 has been a wonderful tool for me, just not as a phone. Waiting for Nokia and the Community to improve it has been frustrating; Nokia doesn't seem to care and the Community has not been effective in advocating and improving the phone. Meego I suspect will be a dismal failure and anyway it's too little too late. And no, I have no ill will toward Nokia or the Maemo community. Just the opposite, after all, competition from strong Nokia will only be good for people like me.

Anyhow, I just wanted to vent here and talk about my experience with a great phone in Palm Pre +. It's based on Linux but it's mostly closed sourced, so it will bother many people here. I like to focus on the positive because Palm now DOES encourage home brew developers; they recognize how important apps are. They tried and failed at marketing their Palm Pre and other webOS devices. Now that HP owns them, it will be interesting to see the new devices that will come out in the next few months.

Nokia SHOULD have bought Palm. They blew it. Probably a good thing because Nokia would have screwed up Palm if they had bought it.

Well, I am going to sign off now. I thank those members here who have made contributins to the Maemo community, even the snooty ones. You know who you are

My N800: OS2008, Fanoush's initfs, SanDisk 4Gig x 2 SDHC, BoxWave FlexSkin and Sync Charger, Homebrew External Power Pack (4xAA NiMH Rechargeable 2400 mA)

Greetings from Sunny San Diego, California!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesc760 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by jamesc760 View Post
that it blows my N900 out of the water. Hardware-wise, N900 has an edge because of its bigger (3.5 vs 3.1 inch) screen and higher resolution. BUT, and it's a big but, software-wise Palm Pre + is leagues above and beyond my N900. I am talking about the webOS and its GUI. I have heard people use the word "elegant" to describe the webOS and I have to agree. It IS elegant. I cannot believe I waited this long to try it out. My Palm Pre Plus is the BEST phone I have ever used. Period. I have used a couple of iPhones, a few Android phones and a Blackberry; and the last 8 months or so I thought my N900 was unbeatable. Not any more. I just finished unlocking my Palm Pre +; I popped out my T-Mobile SIM card from N900 and into the Palm it went. Lots of information over at precentral.net--very noob friendly and I felt I was welcomed by their community. Totally unlike here at maemo where even though I've been a member since the days of N800 I am often treated with indifference and snootiness.

I am planning on keeping my N900, only as an internet tablet. My 5-year old son likes to play Angry Birds on it, as opposed to his mom's iPhone 3GS. N900 has been a wonderful tool for me, just not as a phone. Waiting for Nokia and the Community to improve it has been frustrating; Nokia doesn't seem to care and the Community has not been effective in advocating and improving the phone. Meego I suspect will be a dismal failure and anyway it's too little too late. And no, I have no ill will toward Nokia or the Maemo community. Just the opposite, after all, competition from strong Nokia will only be good for people like me.

Anyhow, I just wanted to vent here and talk about my experience with a great phone in Palm Pre +. It's based on Linux but it's mostly closed sourced, so it will bother many people here. I like to focus on the positive because Palm now DOES encourage home brew developers; they recognize how important apps are. They tried and failed at marketing their Palm Pre and other webOS devices. Now that HP owns them, it will be interesting to see the new devices that will come out in the next few months.

Nokia SHOULD have bought Palm. They blew it. Probably a good thing because Nokia would have screwed up Palm if they had bought it.

Well, I am going to sign off now. I thank those members here who have made contributins to the Maemo community, even the snooty ones. You know who you are
I think the N900 probably outsold the Pre. WebOS is nice, but MeeGo has more legs under it in the long run. Nokia unlike all the other phone vendors sells a lot of phones. So MeeGo can be half successful and it could be a hit.

Hopefully HP can get Palm (WebOS) on the right track and put resources behind it. Otherwise MeeGo offers some of the same benefits with some big names behind it.

Originally Posted by theflew View Post
I think the N900 probably outsold the Pre.
Hm, not so sure about that. There must be a good reason why WebOS got a lot more commercial development (including native games that can run on the N900 pretty much unmodified) than Maemo 5. Nokia explicitly driving developers away is a very recent development and can't be the full story. Consider also that there have been 4-5 WebOS devices already compared to only one running Maemo 5.

Hopefully HP can get Palm (WebOS) on the right track
Hopefully also getting rid of this nonsense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
dammit, if you weren't so polite i could flame you. how dare you... something... lol
i guess you're entitled to your opinion. i really don't know what you're talking about, the "snootiness" here. if you post a stupid thread/question, you deserve a snappy answer, not help. even when i try my best to flame some idiot that can't search, some other n00b comes and gives them a link. hopeless.
anyways, don't laugh too hard at meego, it's got a lot more than nokia behind it. we are all ****ed if stupid closed-source devices win every battle.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@jamesc760
After reading your opinion/rant or whatever you would like to call it I understand why people have been indifferent and snooty to you. Reason that I like this place is that quite many people here do not like ANYTHING. These are just devices (THINGS) made by brand x, nothing amazing or glorious there. They find weaknesses from maemo devices and from ALL devices around them.

Also btw. Do you know current situation with Ari Jaaksi and Peter Skillman. More over why on earth Nokia should have bought webOS and Palm if they already have strategy for next 5+ years? Maybe patents could have been interesting but itīs quite naive to think these things as shallowly as you introduce them here.

.edit
And this
"Community has not been effective in advocating and improving the phone."
Really creeps me out. Thank you for your constructive criticism. You needed only one sentence to ruin your whole post at least in my eyes. I whole heartily disagree with that.

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-07 at 12:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
This notion that MeeGo isn't going to go anywhere is depressingly flawed, in my opinion. MeeGo will, quite frankly, rape the phone world over time. If it doesn't, then some successor open source phone OS will.

As for the Palm Pre, Plus or otherwise, *shrug*. Phones are typically only right for certain people.

Over the last week, I have written three essays for my university classes, of which two I wrote directly on my N900 using FreOffice, and half of the third was written on my laptop's OpenOffice - but through VNC Viewer from my N900. Could I feel just as comfortable with the Palm? Possibly. I've heard it's good, yes, and I have respect for the WebOS phones because I realize that it has merits very similar to the N900.

But near as I can tell it's a matter of what you do with your device. Does WebOS come with an X-Terminal available by default, with root access gainable in one install from a by-default-enabled repository? Do firmware updates fight you over your root access? (On the other hand, they probably don't force you to reflash half the time... I'll admit, that's a plus.)

Are the Palms good phones? Yes, probably more so than most other smartphones. Are they superior to the N900? To some people, yes; but objectively speaking? No. They're just different. More similar to each other than other phone OSs, but they've still got different priorities.

Creamy Goodness: I find the best policy is to ***** at the idiot first, then offer assistance. Most of them can't help it. Modern society doesn't usually encourage either logical thought, do it yourself mentalities, or computer and search engine savvyness.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
http://conference2010.meego.com/sess...-anti-patterns
I recommend watching this to video OP
from 08:26 or maybe whole video. I really explains many things.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
jamesc760: Interesting, but could you tell me, if you look at the Palm Pre not only as just a...let's say fancy-gui-phone, would you also consider it being superiour to the N900 when it comes to the tablet-wise stuff. I mean, can you for instance open a terminal with a busy box, connect to a computer with ssh, do X11 forwarding and stuff? Is it as "hackish" as the N900? I mean, the N900 is more like a regular computer in a tablet format.
I'm not at all criticizing your post here, rather I'm curious!

Personally, if you say that the Palm Pre is "just" another phone competitor, it wouldn't be something of interest to me.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post

Over the last week, I have written three essays for my university classes, of which two I wrote directly on my N900 using FreOffice, and half of the third was written on my laptop's OpenOffice - but through VNC Viewer from my N900.
This sounds very interesting: how can you write a text with more that two lines on the N900? Use an external keyboard?
Please let us know!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tredlie For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
yawns