Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
do you want to buy my n900!

N900 APP REVIEW SITE IS NOW LIVE
http://maemoappreviews.blogspot.com/

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
Yo mates. Don't dismiss so quickly. I put 3 conditions here. not just being a coder. There are 2 more. time and patience. Which is what you mentioned in your posts
Thanks for the qualification, Corso85

I've never had a phone/device without shortfalls or frustrations or that did not require time to learn and adapt to, so I guess that covers your other two conditions in my case, at least.

I think we can agree that whilst N900 does require more 'involvement' and a deeper level of understanding than other devices, it's not exactly rocket surgery, either...

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Uh? I use standard Micro USB cables with it all the time, and it works fine. What are you talking about?
Sorry, I was thinking of mini usb - the interchangeable ones like my external hard drives and many other devices use. The Nokia phone is the only micro usb device I have. Perhaps that's not the case in other areas.

Terry

Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Thanks for the qualification, Corso85

I've never had a phone/device without shortfalls or frustrations or that did not require time to learn and adapt to, so I guess that covers your other two conditions in my case, at least.

I think we can agree that whilst N900 does require more 'involvement' and a deeper level of understanding than other devices, it's not exactly rocket surgery, either...

Totally agree. I never said it was bad. After all, I did BUY the darn thing.

I'm just saying, back in December or Jan or even early Feb. I would've driven the OP to the nokia store myself to buy it . It was THE most powerful device. (I say device and NOT phone, so that the Nokia/Maemo assassination squad doesn't come and get me )

But now things have changed. The lad has to know there are more options available. Specially, now with the all the platform overhaulness going on with Mameo/Meego and god knows what.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto
my 2 cents are these:
first penny:
If you live in a sprint 4g zone buy an evo (it kicks ***)
second penny:
if not get a nexus one it appears to have amazing community and Google support... Nokia support is lacking at the best.

dont buy the n900
unless you want to develop on it

it has fairly bad battery life
poor support
average camera

If i could go back and repurchase a phone (I got it maybe 3 months ago)
I would have gone with the nexus one
however I have come to deal with the n900s faults and I don't regret it even if I am envious of the nexus' new camera support

Battery life is a downside for sure, for me this is mitigated dramatically by the open nature of the device. I carry around a dc-11 charger 'just in case'. This is annoying, but a better option than ending up with a less capable phone thats content has to be approved by a manufacturer.

The open nature of the phone also leads to the dramatically different accounts people have of the very same features. Many people in this thread have said the phone aspect is rock solid. Personally, I miss 1 in five calls because the screen does not react when the call comes in. I generally put this down to having too many apps consuming memory and so something has to be swapped out of ram before the phone app can get enough resources to put up the UI.

Which leads to another point - the phone app is just an app. It isn't any more integral to the platform than any other application, like the browser or media player. In the main, this doesn't have much impact except in these types of instance where it competes for resources from other apps.

Ovi maps is disappointing. Flash video playback can be stuttery, depending what else is going on, but still far better than anything else out there (other than that one android phone referred to earlier).

I would say that this 'phone' requires a lot more management than you are used to. You need to keep an eye on cpu usage, memory usage. If you venture into development apps, you need to keep an eye on disk space usage (this is less of an issue than it used to be).

This is what I think frustrates so many people - they are used to using phones, and a phone is a phone. They look at other phones and compare them to the n900 and wonder at the differences. They wonder why a niche device like the n900 doesn't have the same hoards of businesses and developers churning out "cool apps". The less intellectually challenged can work through these conundrums and either realise they have purchased the wrong device and move on, or they work within the 'limitations' and take advantage of all the benefits. The rest become trolls and litter this forum with incomprehensible complaints about the ovi store, as if that mattered even slightly.

The n900 isn't a phone. It is a linux computer with a phone app.

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto
that really is the best summary

If you need a phone don't get this
If you need a computer which can sometimes make a call

then this is it

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Was going to start a similar thread as I'm also thinking of buying the N900, so I'll just tack on to this one.

1. How soon Documents to Go will have edit capabilities ? Some google searches say soon after PR1.2.
2. How does eCoach compare to Sports Tracker ?
3. Even though Ovi Maps doesn't have voice guidance [yet], does it at least show you arrowed directions on the screen and will it auto re-route if you are forced off the current due to road blocks, missed a turn, etc ?

Currently use a Nokia 5800 with all the above but prefer something speedier and with physical keyboard. Used to have an E71 but the video playback on that was not that good.

I actually do like Ovi maps since well, its free and all maps can be pre-downloaded. Google maps doesn't do this and there doesn't seem to be anything else that can on Android or IPhone.

Thanks in advance.

only buy the n900 if you are OK with the fact that there is no OFFICIAL support for this device going forward. i.e. you are OK with the phone as it IS or dont need official support as you have the tech smarts to deal with any issues YOURSELF.

Yes there IS community support but that support can vanish overnight or dry up as lets say, developers move to new Meego platform as it is released. So it is NOT dependable - but this should NOT be an issue if you are happy with the n900 AS IT IS NOW.

if you want something that just works or is recognised and support by commercial software houses, do NOT get the n900. Get a proper brand that is widely recognised and supported like android or iphone.

The trolls are here Maruzko, try to ignore them.

Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
1. How soon Documents to Go will have edit capabilities ? Some google searches say soon after PR1.2.
Dataviz produce Docs to Go, and their website indicates they are producing a edit version - they would be better placed to answer this, and they have a feedback form so you can indicate interest (which may result in an earlier release)

http://www.dataviz.com/eforms/feedba...lfeedback.html

3. Even though Ovi Maps doesn't have voice guidance [yet], does it at least show you arrowed directions on the screen and will it auto re-route if you are forced off the current due to road blocks, missed a turn, etc ?
No, it does't auto reroute. It shows your position related to the route, but you'd have to re-calculate manually.

Currently use a Nokia 5800 with all the above but prefer something speedier and with physical keyboard. Used to have an E71 but the video playback on that was not that good.

I actually do like Ovi maps since well, its free and all maps can be pre-downloaded. Google maps doesn't do this and there doesn't seem to be anything else that can on Android or IPhone.

Thanks in advance.
Sygic has a non-free alternative to ovi maps that has proper routing and voice.

The physical keyboard is three row, which some people don't like. There are also complaints about the distance of the top row to the bottom of the screen. Neither of these bother me, so I imagine it is subjective. You should give it a try.