Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I was planning to get a smar****ch. But Im in to a suunto ambit2. Anyone using IT for Hiking, Biking and running?

Looks great but it seems to be BIG.

Anyone have any other smartactionwatch?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-04-20 at 11:10.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Anyone have any other smartactionwatch?
Up to now I have only found one that I could consider;
http://www.cookoowatch.com/

That's not a battery hog, it lasts like a regular watch so you just change the battery every few years. No charging it all the time.

The functionality is fairly limited, but what do you need on a watch anyway...

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Please fix the title of this thread, smart watch is not an obscene word and otherwise we have no idea what the thread is about. Snce Meamo.org *****s it out just split the words like I did, we will understand.
Also WTF is maemo.org doing that????

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
What about the Rufus Cuff ??
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...municator#home

Its the best concept out there, better than the iNanowatch, Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Gear, Moto 360 etc etc.

However I think its far from perfect. It should do a few modifications:
- 3 day minimum battery life on Normal-Intensive use.
- T9 Keyboard or something easier to enter input than a full qwerty.
- Shave off some of the sides and bezels, give it a smaller profile.
- Dedicated Wrist UI for the GPS/Maps App.
- Include an accurate heartbeat sensor, thermoscope and barometre.
- Trade for accurate accelarometre and gyroscrope.
- Calorie counter (to have a full-featured health accessory).
- Omit the camera (its also a hazard).
- Face speaker toward user (use for loudspeaker/alarm/notifications only)
(music would drain battery too quick - prevent such feature)
- Wireless charging (if it doesn't add bulk) otherwise a small charging implementation.

And all-in-all: make it an intuitive user interface, not slowed down by the processor and experience not ruined by a screen that lacks sunlight visibility/brightness/viewing angles/colour/refresh rate.

A 3.0 inch companion screen to always show the time, notifications, and track your daily duties (fitness, appointments, notations, weather, news, rss, twitter, stock etc) seems like a useful addition to our ever-connected lives. And $249 seems like a profitable price that doesn't ask too much.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2014-04-20 at 14:53.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Hey, that means it is not usable, it is POC, it is throwaway stuff, it is Dave-bait.

For a WATCH it bloody well needs to last at least an YEAR, else it is not worth anyting.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...municator#home

Its the best concept out there, better than the iNanowatch, Galaxy Fit, Galaxy Gear, Moto 360 etc etc.

- T9 Keyboard or something easier to enter input than a full qwerty.
- Shave off some of the sides and bezels, give it a smaller profile.
- Dedicated Wrist UI for the GPS/Maps App.
- Include an accurate heartbeat sensor, thermoscope and barometre.
- Trade for accurate accelarometre and gyroscrope.
- Calorie counter (to have a full-featured health accessory).
- Omit the camera (its also a hazard).
- Face speaker toward user (use for loudspeaker/alarm/notifications only)
(music would drain battery too quick - prevent such feature)
- Wireless charging (if it doesn't add bulk) otherwise a small charging implementation.

And all-in-all: make it an intuitive user interface, not slowed down by the processor and experience not ruined by a screen that lacks sunlight visibility/brightness/viewing angles/colour/refresh rate.

A 3.0 inch companion screen to always show the time, notifications, and track your daily duties (fitness, appointments, notations, weather, news, rss, twitter, stock etc) seems like a useful addition to our ever-connected lives. And $249 seems like a profitable price that doesn't ask too much.

https://images.indiegogo.com/file_at...png?1394986774
While that concept looks cool It wouldn't survice a 1 sec in the wild with running, biking, swiming, skiing, parachuting and climbing. I break about one unbreakable watch per year so this is no go. Very cool concept eitherway

It's easy to build a concept, not as easy to build a product!

But I might need one either way, just to show my support. Anyone bought an early bird?

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-04-20 at 16:10.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
While that concept looks cool It wouldn't survice a 1 sec in the wild with running, biking, swiming, skiing, parachuting and climbing. I break about one unbreakable watch per year so this is no go. Very cool concept eitherway

It's easy to build a concept, not as easy to build a product!

But I might need one either way, just to show my support. Anyone bought an early bird?
Its not just a concept, they've got working prototypes... well working in a sense. Obviously the software isn't ready. Neither is the quality and things for mass production.

And you're blowing things out of proportion. Its not going to hinder people from running, biking and parachuting. It might affect skiing and climbing. And it will definitely affect swimming.

Think of this as less of a watch and less of a Pebble, and more of a Predator-type gauntlet. Which sits comfortably on your wrist while providing a screen large enough to make proper use of smart-functions.

@juiceme
The OG Pebble gets around 3-4 days on Normal-Intensive use. With the Pebble Steel its possible to get 7 days on Light Use.
The Galaxy Gear gets 1 day on Normal-Intensive use and 2 days on Light Use. The Galaxy Gear 2 gets 1.5 days on Normal-Intensive use and around 2.5 days on Light Use.

Since this smartw@tch is smarter than both of those and has a larger display it needs more juice. But since its just large enough to accommodate a proper battery it has a lot more stamina than the alternatives. 3 day battery life on Intensive Use is actually good, it wouldn't hurt to take it off during the nigh and put it on a mat which could wirelessly charge it. 7 day battery life on Intensive Use will be the gold standard though, and we'll get there very very soon as soon as we get a slight spec bump to our battery technology.

I'm flattered

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/busi...03500320F.html

Finally a watch With its own sim.

LG With a new smar****ch. Finally smar****ches getting nicer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ew-models.html