Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Lets take a survey ...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If canonical don't have anything revolutionary planned for this campaign we don't reach the $32 millions and the money goes back to us, the funders. If jolla management were smart, they should launch a 24-48 h campaign with paypal after the ubuntu campaign ends. people would have lots of "free" money if jolla created a great package together with the device and promote it in a smart way, I'm sure they could easily get a few thousand devices sold.

If Jolla can't handle it they can contact me to do it.

In the mean time, join the Ubuntu edge campaign with the first real pocket potable computer. This is not a regular smartphone. This device is about PERFORMANCE. If you regular mobile is a family car, This is a Ferrari F1. You will probably miss some of your features from your family car, but when you push the pedal to the metal you will forget about that. This is pure power and this takes the thinking of n900 even further:
http://igg.me/at/ubuntuedge/x/4036946

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-11 at 07:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
its not that simple to get manufactors to release open drivers or specs.

If that ubuntu phone releases full open source its probadly X86 HW only because Intel is the only company who may have open GFX drivers...

edit: whoops I guess thats why they name it edge:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...platforms.html

That means Canonical also will include a fan for free to your ubuntu phone
I never argued that device makers will make fully open drivers. I argued that if Ubuntu on phones becomes popular that "native" drivers will come. Drivers can be native and closed as they currently are on x86 Linux. Currently Tizen, Ubuntu Touch, and Sailfish use libhybris to leverage Android drivers. Native drivers would perform better. On the issue of open source drivers those will come when manufacturers realize that communites can do much of the work for you of creating drivers and open drivers open new markets.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I never argued that device makers will make fully open drivers. I argued that if Ubuntu on phones becomes popular that "native" drivers will come. Drivers can be native and closed as they currently are on x86 Linux. Currently Tizen, Ubuntu Touch, and Sailfish use libhybris to leverage Android drivers. Native drivers would perform better. On the issue of open source drivers those will come when manufacturers realize that communites can do much of the work for you of creating drivers and open drivers open new markets.
That being said, we need at least 'semi-open' drivers(Not sure the correct term here) like Nvidia does on the desktop: Closed userspace blob, open kernel module. This means we can always patch/tweak the module to make it work on newer kernels etc.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
They lowered the price again.

The price is now $695.

Last edited by Ariadeno; 2013-08-11 at 09:43.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
manufactors does not care about community its bussines as usual those paying get the specs or binary blobs.

in this case microsoft, apple and google means the big players with lot of cash.

Would be cool if jolla and canonical could join up and sell a bundle with two devices, one jolla and one Ubuntu Edge for a great price. Let's say $1000.

Two great things become one SUPER thing. The linux-bundle deluxe!

That would get them an edge against android and ios and get more devices out on the market.

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-12 at 11:35.

And instead of the edge dual booting android, it should boot sailfish (can run android ) then hardware modified to have the other half

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Would be cool if jolla and canonical could join up and sell a bundle with two devices, one jolla and one Ubuntu Edge for a great price. Let's say $1000.
And who, pray tell, will buy it? You and...?

People generally spend that much money when they need to. Who on earth needs two new phones?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
And who, pray tell, will buy it? You and...?

People generally spend that much money when they need to. Who on earth needs two new phones?
Me and lots of others, sometimes buy up to four new devices per year. Also the, jolla will be released half a year before the ubuntu edge. while jolla is a smartphone, Ubuntu is a mobile computer so it's a great mix.