Active Topics

Me got this issue as well. I found there is bug exists in bug tracker - see bug 6689. I have idea how to workaround this in software, see comments to a bug.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Holland
The N900 has a problem with magnets. The screen goes on when you hold a magnet nearby the screen. This happened also by the back of the N900. If you have a case with magnet closing (my old E90 case from Carrymobile) like i have , see my YouTube film. Has somebody the same problem ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYT-cqCjdw

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Originally Posted by wallenburg View Post
The N900 has a problem with magnets. The screen goes on when you hold a magnet nearby the screen. This happened also by the back of the N900. If you have a case with magnet closing (my old E90 case from Carrymobile) like i have , see my YouTube film. Has somebody the same problem ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYT-cqCjdw
Oh yeah. You have to test a lot of cases. I finally found one -- a cheap off brand -- with a lightly weaker magnet that seems to work. Most cases have a stronger magnet that will set off the N900.

And you can;t find a case without a magnet, it seems.

Good luck.

When i use my magnetic pouch for the n900 i face the screen inside instead of outside because of the magnetic field. This prevents my n900 from turning on whenever i try to pull it out. I've have tested it many times already. I have an original Blackberry pouch for my n900 which fits perfectly. It's a slide down pouch unlike the one in that video. I recommend it.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ WA, USA
I have a case from Tmobile (USA) store and has no magnet. the case is just like ones with magnet but has no magnet. Width is just fine but is a bit longer than n900. But it's a good fit. I used to use it for G1.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
i prefer the invisible protection like zag and a leather slip case.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
this has been discussed before - the hardware for detecting keyboard slide is most probably based on some kind of a magnetic detector...

And for the back - the camera slider has a similar setup.

will this mess the phone up over time?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

Tags
case, cases, hardware, keyboard switch, magnetic closure, magnetic latches, magnetic monopoles attack, magnetic switch, magnetic switches, magnets, magnets wake device, magnets wake n900, n900, n900 needs hard case, switch, switches