Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
like this

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Paris
I'm surprised how many of guys here are having the GS2, myself included.......not saying that one is better than another (again almost 2 years is a lot in technology) but I must say, yeah once more , that Nokia were a having a penalty kick and they missed it...damn' they should 've just made a bigger, thinner, faster maemo5 (or 6 or whatever) device....

Well now time for Barca - Real...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bingbings For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately, most people who buy a smartphone today don't really care about actually doing something useful on it. Today, it is games and visuals that weigh more in the decision process, not productivity, and more often than not a solid hardware spec is considered innovation.
When it comes to software, it's the same. Example: change hardware keys to soft ones and then brag about a buttonless design. Or spend 6 months designing a different toggle switch and finally use white font on black background.
I'm not against any company doing what it does and designing what it designs in order to improve its product, but if one had to stand out for the novelties it introduced, it has to be Nokia.
Don't know how much of that spirit is still left today. However, one thing is for sure: the NITs were far too advanced for their time, and one can only be proud of joining the exclusivist and select club of Maemo owners (and users alike).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to user/zero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
user/zero .
i agree with you man
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
I think thye should've stuffed that pureview tech in a MeeGo device. They should've stuck with MeeGo instead of letting M$ push there WP platform out through Nokia to gain market share. Really bad to see Nokia going mainstream.
I would've loved to see MeeGo evolve, I just hope that with the WP/Apollo update Nokia get's free hands to do what Nokia does best, innovate.
Yeah it should be renamed from smartphone to joyphone/funphone?

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following User Says Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
da*m you nokia, da*m yous all to hell!!!!

if only they have... well:
Not hired elop
Continued making devices like the N900... there are seriously still nothing that comes close if you ask me.

And OP, good post, really good post, really captures many things that what i call dumb phones can't do, now and again i think about getting a newer device/phone because of bigger screen, higher res, CPU & RAM, but then i think about having to "live" with android.... no way, that would really limit what i can do....
Oh and they are dumb phones when you need others to make programs (apps.............) to get them to do anything, we can strip ours down to terminal and still do pretty much anything (of course with the optional GDM )

How did i even get by before i got my N900???

I will say it again, only way to move forward at some point is to build our own device OR hope that when UBUNTU comes out with phone/tablets they make something like the N900 with full ubuntu on it, i could really dig that

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Nope. Itīs not an N900. Nothing else than the N900 is. And actually my statement was not a car to car comparison. Itīs a car to skelter comparison.

To my surprise the nike site works. I am not sure whether they changed code to be standard compliant or whether I did not look good enough. At the time, that site was the reason for my gf to start tinkering with user agents.

Oh, and on the topic of insulting, I would not feel offended abot such a thing. I only meant to share some other user experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Dhaka, Bangladesh
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Nope. Itīs not an N900. Nothing else than the N900 is. And actually my statement was not a car to car comparison. Itīs a car to skelter comparison.
Oh crap ! I didn't know what a skelter was..

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Dhaka, Bangladesh
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
da*m you nokia, da*m yous all to hell!!!!

How did i even get by before i got my N900???
To many and nokia itself, the n900 (a piece of innovation from the engineers) seemed to be a FLOP to general users. Why?

In this official thread n900 Flops thread
http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=23482.15

One user mentioned something like " I want everything to just work".

Thats the thing ? Just Like Apple or Banana or whatever, people just want it to work. With n900 one has to work hard, and the rewards are tremendous. (example: I spent a whole day freeing up around 113 MB on the rootfs). General people dont know what is a " MB ", let alone rootfs. With the introduction of siri on banana, in upcoming years people will forget how to optimize and get more than you bargained for, if you work hard. They are pushed far in to the interface and we are pushed far inside the core.

The gap between users and programmers keeps increasing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gearspec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
gearspec you said it just right there, there are people that just want something that works, and nothing wrong with that at all, and then there are the few (very few) that want more than what i REALLY call a dumb phone.

It also amazes me how much of a dump google took on linux with android, even if you do EVERYTHING (root, kernels etc) you will never get no where near where maemo/meego, and lets not forget that we even have to "suffer" with the closed bits in maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post: