another video - official samsung promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOX3H...feature=colike

Go to the middle of it when they start talking about "ultimate multitasking"

If you notice on the side bar (or bottom or top, you can change) one of the apps is youtube - this leads me to think that non samsung stock apps can also be part of split screen, although how well they work in a window may vary

i really like being able to chat on im while referring to another document, or even the part where they do conferencing on the bottom while looking at documents up top, or even using smemo while on a call. This is seriously convenient.

if this thing works well and robust for me its a killer feature no other phone offers.

will wait till ppl provide more details of this feature but looks very promising.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
another video - official samsung promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOX3H...feature=colike

Go to the middle of it when they start talking about "ultimate multitasking"

If you notice on the side bar (or bottom or top, you can change) one of the apps is youtube - this leads me to think that non samsung stock apps can also be part of split screen, although how well they work in a window may vary

i really like being able to chat on im while referring to another document, or even the part where they do conferencing on the bottom while looking at documents up top, or even using smemo while on a call. This is seriously convenient.

if this thing works well and robust for me its a killer feature no other phone offers.

will wait till ppl provide more details of this feature but looks very promising.
I agree. I'm really quite impressed with how Samsung has integrated the s-pen with many features you use day to day like messaging, mail, phone conference and simultaneously sharing information. The GN2 has distinguished itself from other devices and is beginning to take a life of its own.

In regards to multitasking, on the GN1 I can already, simultaneously, surf the net, check email, watch something on youtube (and change the size of the screen or put it in background to, say, listen to the music) use linux on android and run fortran code (here I am showing my age!) and have results written on a screen and more. But, in general, just doing 2 or three things at same time is enough for me. So it is not the multitasking that is impressive but how samsung is getting different applications to synergistically work together.

EDIT: According to some posts on XDA site some of the GN2 do not have multiview feature. Below is a link to XDA site set up for Galaxy Note II (Check thread in General called Multi-windows)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1790

Last edited by mscion; 2012-10-01 at 12:23.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
According to my source this feature is Asia note ll only atm.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
N900 multitasking is still better then this.

The idea is pretty good though, just being able to look on a website for some information. And at the same time write something in a text file.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Wreck View Post
N900 multitasking is still better then this.

The idea is pretty good though, just being able to look on a website for some information. And at the same time write something in a text file.
LOL that argument is always so funny. When will you stop. I'm sure I will hear that 10 years from now.

Multitasking to me is to do things faster, easier and with more visibility. This enables multitasking capabilities n900 could only dream of

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

actually no, Clove UK (they wrote it on their public blog) has confirmed that early galaxy note 2 shipments did not have the updated roms installed, and that those notes without the feature will get an OTA soon. Some UK note 2s have already been confirmed by xda forum posters who received them as having the newer rom.

But for anyone reading here, I am sure flashing a new rom is not an issue, and I am sure the correct rom will be up soon enough.

as for n900, yes n900 is better at maintaining multiple tasks, but it cannot multi window afaik. for me multi window is something new for a phone (outside of overskreen browser)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
as for n900, yes n900 is better at maintaining multiple tasks, but it cannot multi window afaik. for me multi window is something new for a phone (outside of overskreen browser)
There was Cornerstone that has been showed throughout 2011 (by the Onskreen people) as well as another app that was originally looking for an OEM release earlier last year (can't remember the name).

Edit: It was Onskreen Cornerstone after all - another video here

Last edited by gerbick; 2012-10-02 at 16:51.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There was Cornerstone that has been showed throughout 2011 (by the Onskreen people) as well as another app that was originally looking for an OEM release earlier last year (can't remember the name).

Edit: It was Onskreen Cornerstone after all - another video here
I was just going to mention that myself. As far as I can tell, no developer has picked up on it. I think it would run any app, whereas, the Samsung multi-window may be limited to a smaller set of apps but I don't know for sure and I hope I am wrong here. Also, as another option, there is the app called "stickit!" which also creates a window to view media as well as youtube. This window can be resized as well as put in background so you can listen to music and do some other "task".

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
I have this working on my Hong Kong purchased Note 2 and it is great and makes people envious until they point out it is a small screen!

Anyway, does anyone know how to edit the apps that I can use or am I at the mercy of whatever Samsung deem to put in the menu?

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I was just going to mention that myself. As far as I can tell, no developer has picked up on it. I think it would run any app, whereas, the Samsung multi-window may be limited to a smaller set of apps but I don't know for sure and I hope I am wrong here. Also, as another option, there is the app called "stickit!" which also creates a window to view media as well as youtube. This window can be resized as well as put in background so you can listen to music and do some other "task".
Split screen (or multi-pane) rules. I have been dreaming of this feature on tablets for years. I am glad that it is finally being demonstrated by a major OEM. It is sure to get picked up in a future version of android.

Incidentally, it is also possible to do the floating video window with the free (and awesome) DICE Player. I tend not to use the feature too often as it requires constant movement of the window to prevent obstruction of the background app, but it works well enough.