Active Topics

Looking to replace the GF's phone (N97).

Here's the criteria:
- STABLE. I love how my N900 has barely ever required a reboot, but it's not the phone for her.

- Decent browsing experience. Must be able to display webpages in normal view, not mobile view. Flash support not essential. She's happy with the built in Nokia N97 browser and Opera Mini.

- Pop email support for yahoo/hotmail.

- Calendar. Would help if it syncs with Outlook.

- MSN/Live messenger support.

- Half decent camera. Just to clarify, N97 was ok'ish (light bleed from the flash was very annoying). E71 camera is a pitiful example. N900 camera is quite decent.

- MMS. I can't believe I have to actually specify this since owning an N900 :P

Things that would be nice, but not deal breakers:
- Touchscreen

- Dedicated keyboard

iPhone or a Nexus one

Oh, I should add a couple of extra requirements

- Mid range price or less. ie, not N900 or iphone priced.

- Multitasking. Also can't believe I have to specify this since the iphone came out :P

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If she uses messaging more than web (sms, text, IM, email), then a blackberry is so much more comfortable and efficient to use. Great keyboards, great messaging services, no fuss sync, 2-clicks picture sharing, native MMS support, etc.

The web browser is not on the same level as the touchscreen driven ones, but it gets the job done. I've made posts on this forum through my BB Bold no problem.

A great majority of the female users/colleagues/friends/acquaintances/family that I know of whom have used iphone and/or android and also blackberry MUCH prefers the BB for messaging.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-17 at 06:10.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Hmm, a low-end Android maybe? Like Tattoo or Hero?

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
If she doesn't mind Win Mobile, you might want to take a look at XPeria one. It's moderately old, so it shouldn't be that expensive anymore, and before I got my N900 it was my trusty companion for one and a half year.

The camera might be a drawback, though. I did some REALLY great shots in brought light, but if I remember correctly it doesn't have any flash.

Maybe X2 and X3 do have one, but never tried any of those two...

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Maybe a Xperia X10 Mini.. It runs Android. that is the one i might buy my wife. The n900 is too powerful for her.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yeah, there's even one with a keyboard:
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...i_pro-3147.php

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
5800 or n97 mini

Well, after a bit of research last night, I ended up getting a HTC Hero.

I tell you what, I'm finding it hard to justify keeping my N900....might keep this Hero for myself, or get a different Android phone.

I've had a thorough play with it and it has passed all my criteria. The only thing that was difficult was getting yahoo mail to work, but we got there in the end.

The app store is amazing, coming from an OVI store background :P

The only major thing holding me back from definitely getting one for myself, is the keyboard. I hate onscreen virtual keyboards. They're just so slow compared to a dedicated one.