Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Just read at TechCrunch that Google has purchased AdMob (mobile analytics firm that's been cleaning folks clocks) and Gizmo5 (anyone wanna bet again on Google Voice as a major VoIP player).

All I'm saying is that Nokia's dealings in mobile just got really interesting. And I'm not even sure that this is a good one.

AdMob Purchase via TC
Gizmo5 Purchase via TC

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Interesting. I had a feeling Google Voice was going be huge.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Great, I could finally give up my Skype account.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

And people ask why Google is considered as evil...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Google is evil because they buy other companies? o.O

Now if they were to change Gizmo, say no longer use the community set standard SIPP protocal than that would be evil.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
And people ask why Google is considered as evil...
Give the Google is evil thing a break now ....
it is big and any big company is, to a certain extent nearer to being a monopoly. But that does not still make it a monopoly.
Just being Google by itself is not evil.

Damn you want to use their products or not... its you choice. Its not like they are shipping all computers with Google products which you HAVE to buy.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Google is evil because they buy other companies? o.O

Now if they were to change Gizmo, say no longer use the community set standard SIPP protocal than that would be evil.
No, they're evil because they ruined nice services that once were free from privacy-issues.

Now you have a lesser choise.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
it is big and any big company is, to a certain extent nearer to being a monopoly. But that does not still make it a monopoly.

Damn you want to use their products or not... its you choice. Its not like they are shipping all computers with Google products which you HAVE to buy.
I explained why I was upset about this in my post above this one.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...

I've already placed that guy on ignore. It's rather obvious he just comes here to troll with his anti-Ğoogle posts (vast majority of them based on no facts whatsoever).
It was entertaining the first 50 times but..sheesh....
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
You have a point; but if you are paying clear attention to US history, specifically Standard Oil, then you'd see that Google is positioning themselves to profit from both sides of connected spaces (user analytics and targeted advertising). They've put enough pressure on governments and services because of their sheer marketing power and mindshare to change the structures around those connected spaces; and have enough clout to create their own doorways to those connected spaces.

Its not so much evil - at least in the sense of wanting to cause harm to others - but it does take the choice factor down some.

Ironically, like Standard Oil and a few others of that time period, there were other companies who had all of these pieces in place to do the same, but it never was put together. There aren't a lot of those companies around these days. And those that are - *one* in particular that I'm thinking about - is not the company that they were when Standard Oil started pushing people and politics around handily.

This community would do well to pay attention to developments like this. Open source just might be changing under your noses and you've not even payed attention to the different address on the mailing label.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:

Tags
gizmo5, google, google voice