Posts: 18 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oxford
i'm gutted to have to post this as to start with i absolutely loved the n900's functionality however I've recently come up against a few major issues.

Number one which is a massive problem is battery life. I bought my phone a week or two ago direct from nokia, and i wouldn' class myself as any more than a moderate user. Still, on an average day I can listen to a bit of music on the way into work, and get some usage out of it at work, and thats it. By the time I go home the phone is dead. There is absolutely no excuse or justification for this - its a brand new phone with a brand new battery with a low to moderate use and it can't stay awake as long as me!?

Searching these forums have led me to believe this is due to a wifi fault, however these posts were from last September and the issue clearly still exists. The worst thing is during my initial excitement I persuaded a colleague to get an N900 and his phone performs worst than mine on 100% factory settings.

5his brings me on to my second issue which is the attitude on this site of 'its not a phone its a computer.' I keep seeing this on any thread describing a shortfall with the N900 and its driving me mad because its a load of crap. The Nokia site describes it as a phone, or a mobile phone. To have spent three months saving for it and then to read this kind of comment is a massive piss take. IF THE MANUFACTURER SELLS IT FOR £500 AS A PHONE ITS A PHONE!

As I said at the start of the post its a real shame as the N900 has huge potential, however the hardware I was delivered is only a proof of concept so far, not a product that I could ever justify charging for!

i'd really love to be proven wrong on this as I love what this phone could be, so any advice would be welcome...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrismint For This Useful Post:
Have you updated the firmware? One of the things that is much improved is battery life. I can get 24 hours off charger with ease (granted, 8 of it I am asleep) with the current firmware.

I suggest you update it. And turn off wifi if you want maximum battery life.

(re battery life, guess you've never used an iPhone 3G, or any phone made by HTC, with sub 8 hour battery life?)

Originally Posted by chrismint View Post
i'm gutted to have to post this as to start with i absolutely loved the n900's functionality however I've recently come up against a few major issues.

Number one which is a massive problem is battery life. I bought my phone a week or two ago direct from nokia, and i wouldn' class myself as any more than a moderate user. Still, on an average day I can listen to a bit of music on the way into work, and get some usage out of it at work, and thats it. By the time I go home the phone is dead. There is absolutely no excuse or justification for this - its a brand new phone with a brand new battery with a low to moderate use and it can't stay awake as long as me!?

Searching these forums have led me to believe this is due to a wifi fault, however these posts were from last September and the issue clearly still exists. The worst thing is during my initial excitement I persuaded a colleague to get an N900 and his phone performs worst than mine on 100% factory settings.

5his brings me on to my second issue which is the attitude on this site of 'its not a phone its a computer.' I keep seeing this on any thread describing a shortfall with the N900 and its driving me mad because its a load of crap. The Nokia site describes it as a phone, or a mobile phone. To have spent three months saving for it and then to read this kind of comment is a massive piss take. IF THE MANUFACTURER SELLS IT FOR £500 AS A PHONE ITS A PHONE!

As I said at the start of the post its a real shame as the N900 has huge potential, however the hardware I was delivered is only a proof of concept so far, not a product that I could ever justify charging for!

i'd really love to be proven wrong on this as I love what this phone could be, so any advice would be welcome...
I'm also pretty disappointed with the battery life, even more so because its so thick. However from my tests, the problem looks to lie poor power management for GSM/3G data.. I'm hoping Nokia will at look into any optimizations...

How is you battery life if you don't use WIFI, but 3G?

The "its a computer" excuse to cover it's shortfalls is complete and utter fanboy BS.

I've done all the recent updates, and I'm sorry but if I have to turn of functions such as wifi or 3g to get a working day out of it its going straight back to Nokia...

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I do have some sympathy with you.
I however do LOVE my N900 and yes it has its shortcomings.
Nokia didn't really say anywhere this device for NOT FOR NOVICES, as a lot of people on here say. But then you really have to look at what the device can do and that has to be played out in power usage and battery life.

I had similar Wi-Fi issues etc...but once I reflashed my device, these issues disappeared. Granted however, this ISN'T a solution or answer.
I also agree about it being a proof-of-concept....even though it was NEVER marketed as a proof-of-concept (which would be a sh*te marketing decision if it were). Nokia is a business, they don't care sh*t about US or our views but they are happy to take out money.
Once you get over that point, then the device is pretty much open to your imagination.

Lets hope it develops with the wonderful people on here who find interesting new things to do with the device....but yes, the device is premature and to compete in this modern age of short 6-month technology cycles, it has a hard path ahead of it....

(PS, I must admit that I HAVEN'T ONCE touched my iPod Touch since owning the N900...and THAT is an amazing feat for a Apple fanboy).

Originally Posted by chrismint View Post
I've done all the recent updates, and I'm sorry but if I have to turn of functions such as wifi or 3g to get a working day out of it its going straight back to Nokia...
Ok, you should return it.

My netbook with a 6 cell battery that weighs about 3x as much as the n900 (just the battery, mind you) gets 6 hours run time with wifi on.

You can leave 3G on, but expecting hours of runtime with wifi on is expecting quite a bit from a 900mah battery.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Have you updated the firmware? One of the things that is much improved is battery life. I can get 24 hours off charger with ease (granted, 8 of it I am asleep) with the current firmware.

I suggest you update it. And turn off wifi if you want maximum battery life.

(re battery life, guess you've never used an iPhone 3G, or any phone made by HTC, with sub 8 hour battery life?)
Is that 24hour in 3G with IM constantly connected?
I can get 24hour, but only with at&t edge and IM constantly connected and not using the device very much.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I don't love the thing but its a love hate relationship at the moment. The thing seriously can't stay awake long enough to get me to and from work, and I don't live far from work. I'm beginning to think it has narcolepsy.

I would put it down to firmware problems, but I've done the recent upgrades, and so has my colleague, and he's not even doing anything special with it...

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Is that 24hour in 3G with IM constantly connected?
I can get 24hour, but only with at&t edge and IM constantly connected and not using the device very much.
No IM, 3G on, weather on, MfE + Nokia messaging email (push) on, three email accounts so pretty constant email action.

IM does run things down, but then you're no longer using it "like a phone" so you should expect less battery life.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Ok, you should return it.

My netbook with a 6 cell battery that weighs about 3x as much as the n900 (just the battery, mind you) gets 6 hours run time with wifi on.

You can leave 3G on, but expecting hours of runtime with wifi on is expecting quite a bit from a 900mah battery.
Then why has nokia put a 900mah battery in? I'm seriously talking about less than 10 hours battery life, with minimal wifi usage. Nokia have no excuse for retailing a product with this battery in when they must no full well what the limitations are...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrismint For This Useful Post: